Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Fumes question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fumes question...

My car is TDI but Question stands for all

I have noticed on several occasions when slowing rapidly (like - damn, didnt make the lights) that my own exhaust fumes seem to overtake the car!!
Definitly my fumes and I can only assume they are coming in the ventilation system.
I get the exact same thing if I make a three point turn (turnabout) any way quickly.

Anyone else experiencing same?

I have pushed the re-circulate air button when I remember in time turning (not often) but that's not appropriate for normal driving.

Any ideas for solution?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 4.2 with not a single experience of fumes.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 AM

Most likely the people behind you are smelling it all the time, your air cleaner may need changed.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mileage too low.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Fumes question...

Yes I too have a TDi and have the same problem.

It seems to happen mostly when you slow at traffic or reversing into a space etc. The kids have complaind a few times and the car has been into Audi for 2 hours but they couldnt find a problem. It is still doing it and getting more frequent so I have booked in to be looked at again.....the problem is it doesnt do it all the time
Old 04-02-2007, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is before the engine has warmed fully or during cold weather then it is likely to be the auxilliary cabin heating system which has an exhaust to the inner side of the passenger side [left hand] sill. This is independent from the engine and uses a diesel powered 'boiler'.

The only time I have smelt it is when I drove the car a brief distance into a garage during cold weather. This was despite driving 5 miles to the place only some five minutes beforehand. I have NEVER noticed any smell coming from the actual car exhaust. I suspect that cab heaters are not subject to statutory emission controls.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:37 AM

it happens even when the car has fully warmed up on mine, but as I say its very erratic thus more difficult to show the garage.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:04 AM
TLo
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm pretty sure that it is an auxilary heater. I live in Finland and have a lot of cold weather experience. The smell seems to appear when the engine has reached the optimal temperature ( about 90 C ) and the aux heater turns off. This is a TDI issue.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, every vehicle I have had with an auxilliary heater has this 'problem', which isn't really a problem at all. It happened with the BMW X5 and Range Rover I have owned.
The same happens with trucks and buses. As you say, it smells and smokes when the heater unit turns off.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

It could be your soot particulate filter burning off. Although I have never witnessed any sooty exhaust from the Q7 there is evidence around the tailpipe that soot sometimes exits and I presume that this is when it is driven hard and the system temperature is high enough for the filter to be cleaned by ignition of trapped soot.

Quick Reply: Fumes question...