Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Extreme cold vs TDI

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extreme cold vs TDI

We got hit with the "polar vortex" (love how they come up with new names for bitterly cold temps- they didn't call it that 30 years ago when our oldest was born and it was -30) and we had temps of -15 to -20 BEFORE the wind chill. Gotta say I was a little nervous and took the F-150 to work today as the Q was going to sit outside all day. The cars are in a heated garage so starting is no issue but do worry about the vehicle sitting outside all day in that bitter cold. I'm in Iowa but bought the TDI in Wisconsin- was surprised they didn't recommend using any anti gel fluid when it gets this cold. I have some left over from my old F-250 diesel and figure it's not a bad idea.

Anyone living in the upper midwest have any issues?? And no smart *** comments from southerners as I'm heading to AZ soon to escape this, at least for a while!!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best of luck to you! I'm in San Diego, 75 degrees and sunny. My two sons wish that they lived in a colder climate!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think as long as the diesel fuel has been "winterized", you shouldn't have to add anything else to the tank. Let's not forget that winters in Germany are not exactly balmy so I would think that Audi has engineering that will handle the cold weather we've been having. FWIW, our car sat outside in 0 degree weather overnight a couple of weeks ago in Illinois and started right up the next morning
Old 01-06-2014, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldnt worry, they new TDIs are so advanced that it probably wouldnt even hesitate to start in the cold. It doesnt get that cold here, but even near 0 even older TDIs will start first turn of the key after it glows.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bitter cold here in AZ, 42 at night and 72 through out the day, no trouble starting 3.0 in the AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the update Sea- I'm headed to north Scottsdale this weekend for a month so then I can rub it in...
Old 01-07-2014, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My cousin has a jetta tdi. They are ok. Been having -10 to -20 below in Colorado. No issues. They are to cheap to buy the anti-gel. I run the " power service " in all my diesel trucks and leave them plugged in. I am get surprised VW/Audi does not offer and engine block heater.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Minus 2 *F here yesterday morning and the high was 17*. Power Service added to tank last week in anticipation of the weather event and can happily report no issues starting or driving yesterday.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My new Q5 TDI passed its first extreme cold test here in the Milwaukee area yesterday. It sat outside in the office parking lot for over 10 hours in temperatures ranging -16 F to -13 F. After a delay of about 4 seconds instead of the usual cold-weather 2 seconds, it started like a champ! I have not used any additives.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKOlson
My new Q5 TDI passed its first extreme cold test here in the Milwaukee area yesterday. It sat outside in the office parking lot for over 10 hours in temperatures ranging -16 F to -13 F. After a delay of about 4 seconds instead of the usual cold-weather 2 seconds, it started like a champ! I have not used any additives.
Do your fuel retailers sell "Winter Diesel"? Here in Oklahoma they don't mention any seasonal additives....it's always just plain old low-sulphur fuel regardless of season.

Quick Reply: Extreme cold vs TDI