Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Negotiating A5 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negotiating A5 Purchase

I sent an email today to a local Audi dealer asking for their best deal on a 2014 A5, with all the options I wanted
(NAV, Side Assist, B & O radio, etc.). I also specified a color and an interior choice. I said I had researched the car with these options and asked if the dealer would meet or beat the fair market price per Kelly Blue Book.

It seemed simple enough. I had negotiated my 2009 A4 by sending emails to dealers and asking for their best price
on the car with specific options - and had received price quotes.

But today the internet manager said they only had one A5 in stock with my preferred exterior color.
The car was a basic, stripped down model with none of the options I specified. The manager asked me to call and come in to discuss this car. Nothing about the car I am trying to buy. Nothing about prices!

I am confused. Is it too late to order a 2014 A5? Am I limited to dealer stock? (None of the local dealers have much in stock, and from looking at their inventories for weeks now, they have had this same unappealing stock for a while now.)

Or has it just become difficult to get price quotes/bids from Audi dealers via email? (I am also considering a BMW 428ix, and the dealers are very competitive.)

Any help from someone who has recently purchased or leased an A5 (or S5) would be most appreciated.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where do you live? NJ ? I can connect you to my guy. He was a no nonsense, gave me exactly what I wanted ( I changed my mind 2x after placing my pre order) and I took a printout of invoice price on the first day we met, and he agreed. He said he would match what ever price I found on internet for whatever options I wanted at invoice. My guy was willing to get the car from another dealership if he had to, or pre order.

His name is Ryan Schmidt
Bell Audi, NJ
Mention my name, I left him a great review online.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree Bell in Edison NJ is a no nonsense place. Jason my salesman couldn't do enough for me and Tom Poulin the sales manager is a great guy who will steer you the right way. They are a big dealer so they can get you the car with the options you want quickly. They just located and delivered a 2014 RS5 with the options and color I wanted and it only took 2 weeks. That was the second car I bought from them.
Before you go in any dealer checkout Truecar.com. The site gives info on prices both locally and regionally and the price trending on the model your interested in. You can price the car with the options you want. They will also hook you up with dealers in your area and give you a no haggle price. In 2011, I bought a new 2011 Ford Focus SE for my daughter in LA on line for 9500? I'm in NJ. The deal went without a hitch.
So, happy shopping!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't live in NJ, but thanks for your suggestions.

I had further communications with my local dealer's internet manager, who indicated a willingness to find me an
A5 more to my liking.

Just as a point of reference, I have found from the BMW forums that most BMW buyers seem to get good deals,
with a 7% discount off of MSRP being common. Better leases, and better discounts - and I think I still want
another Audi!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raceme_stl
I don't live in NJ, but thanks for your suggestions.

I had further communications with my local dealer's internet manager, who indicated a willingness to find me an
A5 more to my liking.

Just as a point of reference, I have found from the BMW forums that most BMW buyers seem to get good deals,
with a 7% discount off of MSRP being common. Better leases, and better discounts - and I think I still want
another Audi!
7% ? sounds mediocre. My car MSRP after all options was around $54K but I paid $51K , which is 9.5% discount. I actually paid a couple $100 less than invoice.
I had my car built to exact specs. Ryan Schmidt walked me thru every option, and walked me around the parking lot comparing colors.
Btw, a negotiating tip, you want to negotiate at invoice and up, rather than down from MSRP.

If you are not having luck with your dealer, decide your options, and call Bell Audi. Have them build one to your exact specs and ship it to you. NJ is the retail capital for car sales in America.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

7% may be good depending on the particular model you are looking at and the demand for that model. If you are looking for an A5 that may be a little on the low side. Please do yourself a favor and look at the true car.com site for pricing info. There is absolutely no obligation what so ever. I have used it many times. Put in your model and your options along with your zip code because demand differs in different geographic locations. You will find that pricing is often near or under invoice. Because of the bad weather this winter, a lot of dealers have had a hard time in sales and they are more than ready to deal. Take the info from the site and show it to the dealer. It is a great lever. Good luck shopping!
Old 03-26-2014, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tr3ndsetr
My car MSRP after all options was around $54K but I paid $51K , which is 9.5% discount.
Not to quibble, but a $3K savings on $54K MSRP is less than a 6% discount, not 9.5%.

FYI - if you are a member of the Audi Club you can get 6% off MSRP, no haggling needed.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ChipB
Not to quibble, but a $3K savings on $54K MSRP is less than a 6% discount, not 9.5%.

FYI - if you are a member of the Audi Club you can get 6% off MSRP, no haggling needed.
That was my math too. Dealer invoice including factory options is always 7% from MSRP plus full freight.

To clarify the ACNA 6% discount, you must be a member for 6+ months at time of delivery or purchasing a $750 lifetime membership to qualify immediately. Also, any eligible factory loyalty discounts apply on top of the 6%. Note that the dealer is reimbursed 2% of the discount by Audi and supports 4% themselves.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think the 6% discount is fairly standard on Audis. I got 6% discount on my A4 back in 2009, even though not a member of the ACNA. Of course, my previous car was an Audi. I also got the Owner Loyalty incentive, which was then an additional $1,500 off.

I don't know if you all know (I haven't seen it mentioned on this forum), but Audi currently has a special "package"
incentive on the A5/S5. If you add NAV and side assist to a Premium Plus, you get another discount of $1,500.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by raceme_stl
I think the 6% discount is fairly standard on Audis. I got 6% discount on my A4 back in 2009, even though not a member of the ACNA. Of course, my previous car was an Audi. I also got the Owner Loyalty incentive, which was then an additional $1,500 off.
Outside of the ACNA or Audi Supplier program discounts, I wouldn't say it's standard. It depends on the model, local dealer competition, dealer allocations and/or inventory and perhaps most importantly, timing. Often, the best time to buy is at the end of a month or a quarter when dealers are trying to meet factory quota goal incentives and towards the end of the model year (like right now). My best new car purchase from a percentage off basis was on a snowy New Years Eve many years ago. I walked in just before closing with my researched low ball buy/trade in price and was driving out of there in 45 minutes with a new car. They didn't even closely inspect or test drive my snow covered trade in due to the weather and the late hour on a holiday. 10 new cars since and I haven't been able to reproduce that deal.

Quick Reply: Negotiating A5 Purchase