A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Huge loss in power, can't get past 2500RPM

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jcman
BojanA6 Really?

If I had your problem or many of the well rounded members did also we would not be asking anybody here for help without DTC's "vagcom codes" and many of us implied for you to do so but you ignored that advice, so happy shopping for parts that might work and if the parts don't then money was wasted that could of payed for a real diagnosis.

Then I ask myself....Self....Why do I waste my time and effort trying to help somebody?
It amazes me that people will throw a $100+ part at a problem without doing any diagnostics, but won't spend $80 to diagnose, or $300 for the tools to diagnose it themselves. In this case, the $300 part is really like $200 because he was definitely going to waste $100 on an ESP problem.

Plus, what does he think ripping it out will do? Haha. He keeps saying, "let me drive my car" but the ESP drives the car better than anyone on this board can, and can be shut off with the push of a button. Go figure.

This could be a number of things, throttle body, wheel speed sensor, transmission faults, MAF, vacuum leak, something else - but who knows without any diagnosis? Just keep buying parts at $50-100/shot and see if it works.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jseklund
It amazes me that people will throw a $100+ part at a problem without doing any diagnostics, but won't spend $80 to diagnose, or $300 for the tools to diagnose it themselves. In this case, the $300 part is really like $200 because he was definitely going to waste $100 on an ESP problem.

Plus, what does he think ripping it out will do? Haha. He keeps saying, "let me drive my car" but the ESP drives the car better than anyone on this board can, and can be shut off with the push of a button. Go figure.

This could be a number of things, throttle body, wheel speed sensor, transmission faults, MAF, vacuum leak, something else - but who knows without any diagnosis? Just keep buying parts at $50-100/shot and see if it works.
Agreed, this point has been mentioned more than just several times, this thread is becoming a watered down "Dead Letter" repetitive waste of time!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem is familiar. I have a 2004 A6 C5 CVT.
Mine would not go faster than 10mph.
Faults showed Throttle body and wiring needed replacement.
In addition found coolant migration damage to wiring, shorted engine control wiring and module.
Total was over $4k.
I paid for throttle and I convinced dealer to put the rest on Audi for 50% of bill. At 57k miles there s/b no shorts or water migration problem.
Nobody but authorized dealers have ever worked on my car.
Great car but expensive to maintain.
CVT transmission went bonkers and 7year/70k Emission control covered that but had to replace the power steering pump 2 years ago.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm waiting to see the result of ripping out the ESP from the car...
Unless you're a race driver drifting on a track, esp should not get in your way.
And if you're adventurous, it can be turned off.
I used to have an Acura TL that would have definitely killed me without traction control...

the EPC light as far as I know is for electronic power control. What that means is that the ECU is only given an electronic signal (from the accelerator) and it will decide how much throttle, boost, timing, etc. That's why a couple failed coilpacks can trigger the light, the engine can't match requested power. As far as ESP, the ABS module talks to the ECU and is able to cut power when the traction control or stability program need to do so.

To rule out ESP, unplug the ABS module. I wouldn't drive the car like that because of brake bias but at least you can narrow down the issue.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by odoboyusa
I'm waiting to see the result of ripping out the ESP from the car...
Unless you're a race driver drifting on a track, esp should not get in your way.
And if you're adventurous, it can be turned off.
I used to have an Acura TL that would have definitely killed me without traction control...

the EPC light as far as I know is for electronic power control. What that means is that the ECU is only given an electronic signal (from the accelerator) and it will decide how much throttle, boost, timing, etc. That's why a couple failed coilpacks can trigger the light, the engine can't match requested power. As far as ESP, the ABS module talks to the ECU and is able to cut power when the traction control or stability program need to do so.

To rule out ESP, unplug the ABS module. I wouldn't drive the car like that because of brake bias but at least you can narrow down the issue.
"Unplug the ABS module" Dam are you so right and this one is so simple, great point odoboyusa Bravo!

Most of us think it's beyond the ABS/ESP but without vagcom I guess one has to guess or look at simple measures to throw that dart.

Last edited by jcman; 02-26-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fkess
Problem is familiar. I have a 2004 A6 C5 CVT.
Mine would not go faster than 10mph.
Faults showed Throttle body and wiring needed replacement.
In addition found coolant migration damage to wiring, shorted engine control wiring and module.
Total was over $4k.
I paid for throttle and I convinced dealer to put the rest on Audi for 50% of bill. At 57k miles there s/b no shorts or water migration problem.
Nobody but authorized dealers have ever worked on my car.
Great car but expensive to maintain.
CVT transmission went bonkers and 7year/70k Emission control covered that but had to replace the power steering pump 2 years ago.
I am having the same issue now with a 2002 A6 3.0. Did the ever tell you were the coolant was migrating from?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I see a huge thread that starts with EPC ( which is audi-speak for drive by wire) and ends with ESP (which is stability control). Mostly unrelated.

EPC faults generally have to do with the pedal position sensor or stepper motor on the throttle. It explains your issue exactly.

ESP is completely different, and does not explain it.

I have not read this entire thread since it appeared to go awry quickly.

Grant
Old 04-21-2014, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Read the whole thread....

Originally Posted by Just Me
I see a huge thread that starts with EPC ( which is audi-speak for drive by wire) and ends with ESP (which is stability control). Mostly unrelated.

EPC faults generally have to do with the pedal position sensor or stepper motor on the throttle. It explains your issue exactly.

Grant
.....it's ridiculous.

No one will know because the OP refused to have the DTC's checked and so far has not come back with any diagnostic conclusion but was willing to throw money at maybe's or what-if's back in February.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is one of the most useless threads I've read And I don't blame the guy that posted the thread in the first place.
Why? The issue here is simple: did anyone have a similar problem or not? Forget the codes! Did you have this problem? How did you solve it? If you didn't have this problem, that's fine. You are lucky
End of story.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me

Grant
No…just don't.

Quick Reply: Huge loss in power, can't get past 2500RPM