Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

I currently own a 2012 RX350 and drove a Q5 today

Old 01-11-2014, 06:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
The only other blue (here, at least) is the Scuuuuuuuba. (Popular color around these parts.)
Estoril blue - on the wife's SQ5. Great color & she loves the car!
Old 01-11-2014, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by m5biemer
Estoril blue - on the wife's SQ5. Great color & she loves the car!
Sure, on the SQ5 it's Moonlight and Estoril, but he was talking about the regular model. If I was going for an S, I'd have gone with Estoril, I think. But it's pretty similar to Scuba so that's not surprising.

Don't think I've seen an Estoril anything yet, and I certainly haven't seen any SQ5s running around. Lots of standard white/black/silver, but little in the way of colorful Audis in my part of town.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
CapeDave- if you have time and patience to wait- you can order your Q5 with European Delivery . You get additional 5% discount and experience that you will never forget. Check out European Delivery forum on this web site.
I will check that out. Not much of a traveler though But I can change! I agree, that would be an experience. I will check that section.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The RX350's I've driven and ridden in, are a fine automobile and like you said quiet. Well it IS quiet. And it's quiet too. Finally, it's quiet. I almost forgot to mention that it's quiet.

Luxo's (Lexus') top priority it to insulate the driver from the driving experience in every way possible. No road feel, no steering feedback, dull response, no exhaust note, no intake noise, just muted quiet. It's very popular with people who hate cars, only want a car because they need transportation, or think they like cars but know nothing about them. I call them toaster cars because they're a boring appliance. They do an excellent job of making toast. However I know of precisely nobody who gets excited about making that toast. Audi is a good compromise between luxo and performance. BMW tilts the equation even more towards the driving enthusiast.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vespaqueen
I am going to the dealer tomorrow at 2:30 to lease a Q5, so excited, can't wait, and you have the color combo I want, white with the chestnut brown leather interior. I am hoping it doesn't take forever for them to locate this combo. I almost went Infiniti, but, after driving the Q5.......nevermind.
Oh happy day!!
Good luck! I'm pretty confident your dealer will find you the color combo you seek but... I'm guessing it's rare that a dealer would order a Q5 w/sunroof delete unless it was someone's special order -- as others have mentioned it decreases the value without decreasing the purchase price, so you're just hoping the right buyer comes along. In my case, the roof is pretty much what sealed the deal for me.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CapeDave
I will check that out. Not much of a traveler though But I can change! I agree, that would be an experience. I will check that section.
link to ED Forum

Link to ED WIKI

Link to Best resource of European Delivery process, destinations and accomodations
Old 01-11-2014, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was considering an RX350 because I am in the Toyota business yet wanted a higher end vehicle. My mom has one. I can't see out of the darn thing. the dash is so high. the mirrors and small windows combined make visibility poor. I despise wood steering wheels. The seats aren't as comfortable in the RX. In my Q5, I can see so well. Occasionally the mirrors are in the way but otherwise it's so much better. The dash is lower and smaller. I can see the hood. I can park the Q5 with ease. I am quite happy with it. Having someone work on my car after hours is not a choice but I prefer my car.

My mom offers to burn her gas and put mileage on her leased car but I hate to drive it. she is not allowed to drive her car with me or my sister present. I try to offer when possible.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Weather was bad today but dealer is open tomorrow! I will be there!

I like the quiet of my car not because I hate cars but because my car is my rolling office. I am on bluetooth hand free alot of the time and the quietness helps these old ears hear my clients

I also really enjoy and appreciate a car that is fun to drive. Hence, my leaning in a new direction. If I could have both, I would probably get the A4 and keep the Lexus as well. Then I would need a small pickup also and also to be Jay Leno

Plan B: Get wife, give her the Lexus, get an A8 for myself
Old 01-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
The RX350's I've driven and ridden in, are a fine automobile and like you said quiet. Well it IS quiet. And it's quiet too. Finally, it's quiet. I almost forgot to mention that it's quiet.

Luxo's (Lexus') top priority it to insulate the driver from the driving experience in every way possible. No road feel, no steering feedback, dull response, no exhaust note, no intake noise, just muted quiet. It's very popular with people who hate cars, only want a car because they need transportation, or think they like cars but know nothing about them. I call them toaster cars because they're a boring appliance. They do an excellent job of making toast. However I know of precisely nobody who gets excited about making that toast. Audi is a good compromise between luxo and performance. BMW tilts the equation even more towards the driving enthusiast.
I think most of your comments are spot on when specifically speaking of the RX 350. I test drove one before I decided on the Q5. I thought the RX. 350 was 'dead'. No steering feedback, couldn't hear the engine and I was not impressed with the leather or dash.

HOWEVER, I think overall you are being a bit tough on the Lexus brand. I was a previous owner of a 2001 LS 430 with sport suspension (EURO). Beautiful vehicle. Very well appointed in the interior and was fun to drive. Fast, made some nice engine noise when accelerating. That LS 430 was my all time favorite car.

Just making the argument that not all Lexus vehicles are the exact same.

FWIW I found the Rx 350 incredibly disappointing. I had expected that testing other cars along with the audi was more of a 'going through the motions', as I loved that LS so much and had such a good experience with lexus in general.... I just don't think the Rx 350 is competing for the same type of people who look at the Q5, X3, GLK, infinity, etc. the RX 350 was a dud (for me)
Old 01-11-2014, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difference between opening the door on an RX350 and the door on my refrigerator is that I look forward to opening the door of the refrigerator; they're both about equally exciting otherwise. The RX350 is a very nice appliance though; quiet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I currently own a 2012 RX350 and drove a Q5 today