Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2013 Q7 Accident Air bags not deployed

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1

IMO drcyrus3d is the irrational one here.
I agree too.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gentlement, I am sorry to be the irrational one but i drew my conclusion out of the context:

1. "hit concrete median head on" - it wasn't a swipe of the median
2. "... not to mention the physical pain..." - there was physical injury
3. In my opinion in the first picture the hood seems mangled toward the cockpit and it seems that the bigger impact was on the side of the drivers wheel

I totally agree that speed is not a factor for the deployment of airbags but the force with which the car hits an object. If the resulting impact force is low the airbags will not deploy and and the car will rely on the force absorption mechanisms and the seat belts to do the trick.

If the people within the car have sustained "physical injury", it means that we are not talking about superficial bruising.

If indeed people got only bruised and scratched then I AM SORRY FOR BEEING WRONG (AND A HUGE A$$H0Le) and please accept my sincere apology for whoever I have may offended.

Thank you.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edd W

As for the accident, the deployment of airbags is a very carefully calculated event. It requires a measured force sufficient for the airbag to be of benefit in the direction of the force. A full side impact should not deploy a front airbag and so on.

If the car spun into the barrier, it may well be that there was not a high enough force in any specific direction to render any benefit from airbag operation and in that situation, you really don't want un-necessary airbag operation, they are explosive devices and cause quite a shock when they are operated.

It is difficult to tell from the photo's but it looks like the front has been dragged off towards one side and therefore it is possible to guess that the car was in slide or spin at the point of impact.

I agree that this car was spinning at the point of impact. If you look at the second picture the car is facing away from the median that the OP said he hit, so the car continued to spin after the initial impact. This car did what it was supposed to...ESP kept it from rolling and the cabin is completely intact. Enough energy to rip off the bumper and crush areas that are designed to be crushed but not necessarily enough to require airbag deployment. I find it odd that there is a tall cup still in the cup holder. Assuming (which is all we can do here given that we only have two photos and no real story to go with) that the cup was not in his/her hand at the time of the accident, then if the force of the impact is not great enough to send that cup flying it most certainly would not set off the airbags.

All accidents are very scary, even more so with a car full of your own family. I truly hope that everyone is OK and they should be if they had their seat belts on correctly. The Q7 is a safe vehicle which is why I drive one with my family of 5.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cmarshack
Assuming (which is all we can do here given that we only have two photos and no real story to go with) that the cup was not in his/her hand at the time of the accident, then if the force of the impact is not great enough to send that cup flying it most certainly would not set off the airbags.
I had the same thought when I first saw the pics. Regardless, I hope OP and his family are all OK.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also notice the car is running in the interior picture, so if it's drivable the car did its job keeping the passengers safe, remember that the air bag is supplemental to the seat belts not a replacement to.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was involved in a pretty nasty "almost head on collision" with another vehicle and my air bags never deployed. Both our vehicles contacted and continued moving till we move stopped. All while being fused together. I had a lawyer etc., The explanation I was given was it not the collision that causes the airbag to deploy, but the sudden "stop" that causes it.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

One interesting thing is that in the interior shot, it looks like the engine is still idling at just below 1000 rpm....
Old 01-29-2014, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default No airbag deployment on mine either 2013 Audi Q7

My girlfriend was driving my car the other day and was hit in the side door which pushed her into a hydrant. Attached are the pictures from the accident. She was injured and not a single airbag deployed. I just contacted Audi and created a incident with them. I am waiting to hear back from them. I wonder if they will offer to do anything for us. We also have a Q5 and I was thinking about replacing the Q7 with a A5. I wonder if these vehicles are safe?
Attached Images    
Old 01-30-2014, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That certainly looks like enough impact to expect at least the steering wheel bag to be deployed.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

What kind of wax do you use on the front portion up to the rear quarter panel in which salt spray does not stick to?

Quick Reply: 2013 Q7 Accident Air bags not deployed