A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Audi MMI red grommet "plus" cable

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi MMI red grommet "plus" cable

I know there are a few threads out there but I couldn't find any that answered my question so I apologize if this is a duplicate thread. I just broke down and bought the new red plus cable ($75) today. I have a '13 A7 and an iPhone 5. I get the album artwork to show up but no video and no photo when using the phone although the blank box is there which I assume is for the photo of the person you're calling like what appears on the phone. Anyway to fix this? If not kinda disappointed for the money. And BTW the dealer had no idea what the cable was. I had to explain that there is a blue and red version. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I assume you are using the Apple Lightning to 30 pin adapter with the AMI cable from your iPhone 5. The Apple Lightning adapter does not pass video, it only supports album art using the red grommet AMI cable (and analog audio like all AMI cables). Your other options for viewing video on the MMI screen are with SDHC cards and DVD when the car is stationary (unless VIM is enabled with VCDS). Another option is to find and use an older iPhone 1 to 4s all of which will pass video using the red grommet AMI cable.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2840907

Apparently, the caller photos don't work with Audi's MMI 3G (It's a function of Bluetooth phone, not the AMI cables). I remember seeing them on my 2009 A4 with MMI 2G but not with MMI 3G Nav Plus. I'll have to check to see if that's still the case with the latest MMI 0715-2 that was just updated on my A6.

Last edited by snagitseven; 10-04-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Plutolawyer
I know there are a few threads out there but I couldn't find any that answered my question so I apologize if this is a duplicate thread. I just broke down and bought the new red plus cable ($75) today. I have a '13 A7 and an iPhone 5. I get the album artwork to show up but no video and no photo when using the phone although the blank box is there which I assume is for the photo of the person you're calling like what appears on the phone. Anyway to fix this? If not kinda disappointed for the money. And BTW the dealer had no idea what the cable was. I had to explain that there is a blue and red version. Thanks in advance.
Too bad you paid 75 dlls for a cable that doesn't do anything another generic cable would do, I made the same mistake and when the new lightning connector was released was a waste of money, maybe when a friend of mine with and older iphone gets in the car I will see what I paid for .
Old 10-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
Too bad you paid 75 dlls for a cable that doesn't do anything another generic cable would do, I made the same mistake and when the new lightning connector was released was a waste of money, maybe when a friend of mine with and older iphone gets in the car I will see what I paid for .
Yeah. I agree. Kind of a rip off for only one feature. And I didn't get any trade in value for my blue cable. I wasn't aware of the fact that the iPhone 5 adapter doesn't allow for video transfer. Too bad I already sold my iPhone 4. Oh well. FYI my dealer said no iPhone 5 cable until at least January. The 6 oughta be out by then. Thanks everyone for the input. And I now have a blue cable for sale if anyone is interested!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

We can thank Apple for this issue - Audi and other car manf. got caught least year when Apple changed the connector, as usual, without much warning. The new Lightning iDevice connector, due to it's smaller size and more limited pins, no longer supports analog video out which is what Audi and other car brands have used. The Lightning connector does support digital video which the car cannot recognize via the current AMI design. Hence, the adapter with an AMI cable can't pass video and a newly designed AMI cable more than likely wouldn't either.

Analog audio out and a digital control for cars with Audi's MMI remains available from a Lightning equipped iDevice so music and MMI control will still work. However, Audi and other car manf. will have to redesign their current entertainment sytems, connectors and cables to accept digital video signals before the cars will be able view videos on the cars' screens, i.e. AMI. I suspect a Digital video retrofit for current model Audis would not be an inexpensive undertaking if even possible.

Here's an interesting article that helps to explain what's going on:
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/13/light...-ipod-out-doe/

So, again, those of us current Audi owners with Lightning connector iDevices, the solution to play your video on the MMI screen lies with SDHC cards, files loaded into the Jukebox or a DVD. Or an older iPhone with the analog video supported 30 pin connector to a red grommet AMI cable.