S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Purring Sound Coming from Engine Bay - What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Purring Sound Coming from Engine Bay - What is it?

Ever since I took the car in for my fuel line recall and had all the updates done to it I've had a low purring sound coming from the engine bay at low RPMs. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side. Even my wife heard it the other day and asked about it - and she has no ear for car related noises.

Anyone ever had this? It's kind of annoying.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you missing any cats?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't own any cats and when I took a look under the hood no one jumped out.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Is it RPM related. i.e. changes with revs? If not, it might be heater fan related.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Is it RPM related. i.e. changes with revs? If not, it might be heater fan related.
It does. However when the RPMS go beyond, IDK, about 2000 the pulses are too fast and no longer audible. It also does it intermittently. When the cooling fan is on I can't hear it. I haven't used the heater this year, it's barely been below 70 deg so far in South Florida.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by S6Express
It does. However when the RPMS go beyond, IDK, about 2000 the pulses are too fast and no longer audible. It also does it intermittently. When the cooling fan is on I can't hear it. I haven't used the heater this year, it's barely been below 70 deg so far in South Florida.
A/C fan bearings can also make weird noises but if it's directly related to RPM, it's something else. If you have a VCDS, you could run a scan and see if something shows up. Could be anything - from a defective belt to a valve issue.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Delurker
Are you missing any cats?
Hilarious
Old 01-07-2014, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The alternator, serpentine belt, belt tensioner and idler roll are all down low on the passenger side of the engine. It could be a roller bearing or the alternator is making noise due to the increased load at low RPMs.

Ordinarily I would say to remove the belt to see if the noise is internal or external but it doesn't look too easy to remove. It appears that there is an adjuster on the bottom side of the tensioner assembly. They might be able to tighten/loosen to see if the noise changes.

Name:  engine09_zpsf55c9bc1.jpg
Views: 3321
Size:  59.8 KB
Old 01-14-2014, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

UPDATE: Just picked up the car from the dealer. Apparently when they performed the fuel line recall something didn't go back in right. The repair sheet claims they "removed, replaced, and refitted the fuel line bracket, rattling was coming from the fuel line rubbing against the fuel line bracket." Shows they replaced a bracket and a couple of clips.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by S6Express
The repair sheet claims they "removed, replaced, and refitted the fuel line bracket, rattling was coming from the fuel line rubbing against the fuel line bracket." Shows they replaced a bracket and a couple of clips.
Well done! Now hopefully the only purring is that of 4 contented liters of pure automotive happiness!

Quick Reply: Purring Sound Coming from Engine Bay - What is it?