Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Noise from 4.2l Allroad

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from 4.2l Allroad

I've got my mighty '04 Allroad 4.2l V8 with 114km on the clock parked most of the time. I drive it once a week if I'm lucky.
When I drove it recently I noticed there is a loud noise. Similar to a squeaky belt noise, but much lower pitch. However it's not as low as a rumble rumble or thud thud, so somewhere between a rumble and the high pitch of a loose fan belt noise. The noise does up and down with the revs. It makes no difference if it's in gear or not, and no difference if the engine is running hot or cold. The funniest thing however is sometimes the car makes that noise, and sometimes it doesn't.

I've not taken it to the shop as I drive it so little I don't think it's worthwhile. Car was serviced 6 months ago with no issues. I've checked all the fluids and they all look fine.

Don't know if it's relevant but the car does lose a bit of oil. If you drive it on a very long drive (8hrs+) the oil light comes on, but topping it up with about 1l of oil sorts that out. I don't think it's being burnt as I don't see smoke, but I also don't see where it's leaking either. The oil doesn't really bother me as it's so little.

Anyone have any idea what the noise would be and if it's something that can be easily fixed?

Thanks
Old 12-15-2013, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it uses 1L in an 8 hour drive, that is a lot of oil.

In any case, you need to do more investigation - where is the noise coming from? Run the car, pop the hood. Back of engine? Which side? Etc.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

"The oil doesn't really bother me as it's so little."

Agreed with GTA...that's a LOT of oil...nothing normal about that at any mileage.

It's burning it or leaking it, period.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
If it uses 1L in an 8 hour drive, that is a lot of oil.

In any case, you need to do more investigation - where is the noise coming from? Run the car, pop the hood. Back of engine? Which side? Etc.
Sorry, I've not made myself clear. I've owned the car for about 6 months but only driven it for about 3 months. The last 3 months it just sits there all week and gets a 5 min drive.

In the 3 months it was driven, it was almost driven every day without issue. It was only when I drove on an 8 hr drive that I needed to top it up with 1l of oil. I did the 8 hr + 8 hr drive back twice without issue. It was the 4th time I did the 8 hr drive when I needed to top it up again, and haven't had to since (3 months ago).

What I meant to have said was that every time I've topped up the oil it's been on an 8 hr drive, but not every 8 hr drive requires an oil top up. I don't think it's burning since I don't smell anything and there seems to be no smoke. However I don't see the leak either since the bottom of the engine is all covered.

I've started the car and listened to the engine. When you listen to the engine under the bonnet the noise is drowned out by the tapping noise of the engine. However it seems like the noise is coming from underneath the engine. So I got down under the car and can hear it a lot louder, but can't pinpoint where it's coming from. My gut is telling me it's the transmission. I've checked and can't find a place to check the fluids. Any way to check this or top it up?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Burning of Oil

Originally Posted by puunda
I've got my mighty '04 Allroad 4.2l V8 with 114km on the clock parked most of the time. I drive it once a week if I'm lucky.
When I drove it recently I noticed there is a loud noise. Similar to a squeaky belt noise, but much lower pitch. However it's not as low as a rumble rumble or thud thud, so somewhere between a rumble and the high pitch of a loose fan belt noise. The noise does up and down with the revs. It makes no difference if it's in gear or not, and no difference if the engine is running hot or cold. The funniest thing however is sometimes the car makes that noise, and sometimes it doesn't.

I've not taken it to the shop as I drive it so little I don't think it's worthwhile. Car was serviced 6 months ago with no issues. I've checked all the fluids and they all look fine.

Don't know if it's relevant but the car does lose a bit of oil. If you drive it on a very long drive (8hrs+) the oil light comes on, but topping it up with about 1l of oil sorts that out. I don't think it's being burnt as I don't see smoke, but I also don't see where it's leaking either. The oil doesn't really bother me as it's so little.

Anyone have any idea what the noise would be and if it's something that can be easily fixed?

Thanks

Disassemble out the spark plugs. If there is Burning of oil you will see it on the spark plugs.
Also check the engine breather
Old 12-16-2013, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by puunda
I've started the car and listened to the engine. When you listen to the engine under the bonnet the noise is drowned out by the tapping noise of the engine. However it seems like the noise is coming from underneath the engine. So I got down under the car and can hear it a lot louder, but can't pinpoint where it's coming from. My gut is telling me it's the transmission. I've checked and can't find a place to check the fluids. Any way to check this or top it up?
Can you take a short video for a sound clip? I might be your exhaust flex pipes are leaking; when it first happens the sound is a bit odd and quiet. This just happened to me and seems to be common issue with the age of these cars.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is the sound I am thinking of its the 'exhaust sleeves' needing replacement...BTDT on another 4.2.

It could be the flex pipes too.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If it i a whining noise, from the bottom of the engine, could be your transmission low on oil and you hear the transmission pump.

Take it to a good mechanic. Could be a water pump, power steering pump, etc...