Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

New Audi owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Audi owner

Got myself a 2002 manual Allroad 2.7t with 314,707 km today.
My previous pieces of german engineering were 80's
era Golfs, one of them a Diesel. Now, I own a 1994 Sable wagon
with almost 400,000 km. This one is easy and cheap to do wrenching on but from what I read on this forum, the Audi is a different animal, cost and expertise -wise. Could not refuse the temptation though, the price was too good and boy, this car rocks! Have to figure out all the controls yet!
I have the engine light on and the last dealer check says spark plugs and the #3 and #5 cylinder needs ignition coils replacement. To my surprise I found, so far that is, that only the passenger door has some rust above the door trim - blade. I tried to take the trim off today but the cold here in TO chased me inside before I could do anything.
I hope I can learn some from you guys here. BTW, is there any preferred or recommended ignition coil brand I should use?
Any other pointers for this model and mileage?
Thanks
Old 12-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought my coils from TGAParts.com out of TO. So far no problems in the two years on the car. Can't remember what brand they are though. Might have been Audi/VW.

I too had some rust above a door blade in the front. Since the cars have a 12 year warranty I took it too my local dealer, they sent pictures to Audi Canada who approved it and they replaced the entire door. Like you I bought an older car and not from Audi. Was pretty impressed.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does this mean they honour the warranty no matter what?
This is interesting but I don't think I will bother, scraped the rust and primed, will do for now. What does Audi charge for the coil?
I will try the contact you mentioned, thank you.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=stigg;24517267]Does this mean they honour the warranty no matter what?
QUOTE]

They were really good. The only stipulation was that the door could not have been previously painted. The measured the depth of the paint, determined that this was the original paint job and approved the warranty. I thought the rust would have had to have perforated the steel but apparently not.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You made me think. I might go and see what Audi says about this, I do have a perforation in the door, the rusty spots are primed but metal erosion is clearly visible as is the hole. Next February the 12 years will be up, maybe it is still time to act?
Old 12-09-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the door cards off on every door and take a look inside the door. You'll see a rotten mess on more than just 1 door.

Take good pictures and go to see a dealer. Are you in Toronto? Queensway Audi filed warranty claims on my behalf. All bodywork was done by 427 Auto Collision, which is a superb shop. Audi of Canada replaced 3 doors on my 2001 A6. My allroad so far is flawless.

You may need to replace coils, or ICM. Swap coils first to see if the misfire moves with the coil. If not, then swap ICM.

Get yourself vag-com (VCDS) from Ross-Tech. It will pay or itself in no time.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I heard about 427 Collision. Called the dealer today and I plan on going to Queensway Audi soon, it's not far from my place. Before that I will check the inside as you suggested, the rusty door does show rust in the drain holes too, the other doors I had no chance to inspect, it is a bit uncomfortable around here to lay on the ground. (I won't say cold because our friends in AB would laugh at me)
But I followed the last maintenance report and replaced the spark plugs and
two coils and cleared the code, we will see if comes back or not.
There was not much in terms of a noticeable misfires to start with, maybe a slight hint from time to time on acceleration as far as I could tell.
The spark plugs looked pretty good, some deposit but mostly nice colour, probably good sign.
BTW, an Android app with Bluetooth OBDII scanner my neighbour has did the trick. At the same time I checked the vacuum, around 19.8 in and steady, looks like the engine is ok.
Another issue I might have to look at is the timing belt. My seller indicated it was replaced but did not have time to dig out the records and I will have to wait until after Christmas to get them. If the belt was changed at the recommended 155k the next service is due now. I did a couple of chains before and a Honda Pilot recently but I am not sure I'm ready for the Audi yet...
Anyway, thanks for the advice.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I live in Parkdale but my indy is in Scarborough. Independent Tuning. Hve been using them for all my and my relatives' Audis since 2007.

Did my timing belt service there last December, $1100. Tey use OEM components, are honest, and overall good guys.

There is another euro shop close to Kipling and Evans, eurotech or something. I have limited experience with them, but a few recommendations came up for them from the Canadian forum.

By the way, avoid Bero Motors on Kipling. Won't go into details, but the guy runs the shop on fraud. Overcharges those who know little about the work, inferior quality work (head gasket went after they rebuilt heads on my older '93 cs100), lied about the kind of work done (claimed replaced heater core but didn't), etc. I dropped them in 2006.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=stigg;24517825]
BTW, an Android app with Bluetooth OBDII scanner my neighbour has did the trick. At the same time I checked the vacuum, around 19.8 in and steady, looks like the engine is ok.
/QUOTE]
I second the recommendation to get a VAG-COM. If you want to start troubleshooting each module in the car, or reprogramming locks, lights, etc, this is the way to do it.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good info to know, thanks.

Quick Reply: New Audi owner