S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

How much power does this engine really make?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NeddyPlast
My S6 is tuned, so claimed 560hp. Thats my point. its no match for the M5's stock 560. If we race from a roll, i beat it down the 1/4 mile depending on how good they get off the line.

What i'm saying is that its irrelevant what the actual HP figure is. What matters is the actual timing and the race event being measured. I can sit there and say my car has 560hp per APR's numbers, but when an M5 walks me on a roll it does no good.

Dont get me wrong, I love it, it has ample power with the tune. But everyone seems so focused on it being underrated.
I got you
But in your example it's 560 vs 560
If your car makes max power well below redline, which is kind of "low" to begin with, you will be at disadvantage here
And you probably know this better than anyone else here as your previous car had that screaming V10
I'm with you on calculator faults
it does not consider a few key performance factors in calculations
So it does "feel" that some cars are underrated
To me dyno is a bit better gauge, but still not all that accurate
Good for checking your gains when you mod

Moral is:
Some cars need more HP to compensate shortcomings of their setup against other more advanced ones
This is why turbo+DSG+high redline automatically feels underrated
It will blow away anything with the same power/weight ratio

Last edited by AndreyATC; 09-27-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm talking about S6's
But when they are on 95 octane and the enginebay gets hotter they only do 440 max.
My s6 is tuned here in Holland and doing about 550 hp with 700 nm (superflow dyno)
after 3 runs the engine gets to hot and then the power drops.
On the highway my s6 was equal with an m5 F10 from120/230 km/h
at the trafficlight i gained 2 cars.
If the m5 is tuned it's another story.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of points to keep in mind here:

1. The S6 really isn't a competitor to the M5. It should really be compared to the 550xi.

2. As speeds climb and traction is no longer an issue, the RWD car will have far less driveline power loss compared to the AWD car. This should come as no surprise. However, the S6 and M5 have identical 0-60 times, despite the M5's 140hp/94 lb-ft advantage. Why?...because all that power can't get to the ground with RWD alone. The traction controls are kicking in effectively giving you a car with much less power early on.

Last edited by Vijay; 09-27-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vijay
A couple of points to keep in mind here:

1. The S6 really isn't a competitor to the M5. It should really be compared to the 550xi.

2. As speeds climb and traction is no longer an issue, the RWD car will have far less driveline power loss compared to the AWD car. This should come as no surprise. However, the S6 and M5 have identical 0-60 times, despite the M5's 140hp/94 lb-ft advantage. Why?...because all that power can't get to the ground with RWD alone. The traction controls are kicking in effectively giving you a car with much less power early on.
1. It's neither. IMO it sits between M5 and 550xi
550 is not as performance-oriented as S6, while S6 is not as focused as M5

2. True. AWD always have a bit more drivetrain loss.
This is why most races to prove which car is stronger are done from 2/3 gear roll
It eliminates errors on launch or traction issues

For instance, Audi TT RS is 3.6 0-60 and great 1/4m time of 12.1
That's crazy for a car with 335hp, but guess what
It traps only 113mph
So, yes, it will win the stop-light race, but it'll get walked by big brother from the roll

Last edited by AndreyATC; 09-27-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Remember M5 is 4100 lb car, unlike 4400 lb S6. 300 lb wt difference is significant. I wish our cars weighed closer to 4000 lbs.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has anyone ever verified the APR numbers for the tune? I mean before and after dyno results by a shop that is not affiliated with any tuner. I do not really care about the true HP that the car makes, just want to know the true gain in power.

at the same time, I am waiting for Stasis to come out with a tune so even getting independent results for A6 3.0T would be a good verification of gain produced by Stasis.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked with Stasis last week and they are still a couple of months away from having a tune for the S6.

On the positive side, they still have many Audi dealers that will do the install and presumably (I chose not to ask about the consequential damages warranty) not flag the vehicle for the modification.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cagambler
I checked with Stasis last week and they are still a couple of months away from having a tune for the S6.

On the positive side, they still have many Audi dealers that will do the install and presumably (I chose not to ask about the consequential damages warranty) not flag the vehicle for the modification.
My understanding is that the only way to not get a TD1 flag is if the dealer chose not to plug their VAS diagnostic system into the car. The software check and flag happens automatically and is transparent to the dealer.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

When a dealer installs a Stasis tune, my understanding is that it automatically gets flagged TD1.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RobC
My understanding is that the only way to not get a TD1 flag is if the dealer chose not to plug their VAS diagnostic system into the car. The software check and flag happens automatically and is transparent to the dealer.
+1

Quick Reply: How much power does this engine really make?