Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Need help chosing between audis!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help chosing between audis!

The #1 thing im looking for is speed as they all look awesome to me. ive been researching older models (00-02) as i can not afford newer models and have found many mixed results. here are the 3 cars im chosing between

keep in mind im planning on modding whichever one i get

1) 2002 A4 3.0 quattro (automatic)

2) 2000/2001 A6 2.7T quattro (automatic)

3) 2000/2001 A6 4.2 quattro (automatic)

Now my original thought was that the 4.2 would be MUCH faster than the other 2 yet according to what i saw i was wrong, they were all close with the 0-60 time with mixed results for each one so im still unsure but believe the A4 3.0 is the slowest. if anyone has a good site i could use to research or could find out for me please do.

Also how would an intake/exhaust/chip work on these? would it work better with the Turbo or worse?

Any information on this would be helpful, thank you to anyone who can provide any
Old 02-18-2010, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

GRRR I just typed out a long answer and the damn page erased it! Anyway, have you considered a URs4/URs6? Turbocharged inline 5 Cylinder tunable up to 1200+ HP. Fairly inexpensive to buy and maintain for an Audi and Torsen AWD as opposed to Haldex. Stock specs- 227 HP/258 lbs TQ 0-60 6.3 sec. I bought mine with 108 K miles for 5K$ and dropped a 1000 stage 1 plus package from 034 Motorsport ( chip/wastegate spring/injectors/3 bar MAP) and now I should be around 275 HP and 315 TQ. If you decide on one of the 3 you mentioned, I'd go with the 2.7 turbo. Chipped non turbo cars only gain a few HP through timing etc. but a turbo car can have the boost increased with very high power gains. Infact after chipping mine, it seems silly to me that people try to tune non turbo cars. You really need bigger parts for those, heads/headers intake etc. because thats the only real way to see big gains with a N.A. motor. Anyway good luck.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To help you decide;

Go to "about us" at the top of the page, then "contact" and look at Jason Teller's (Audi World Founder) current ride. Yes it's a 95'URs6. And look at his previous rides listed. Theyre all newer and more expensive. So you see the Audi 20 valve turbo 5 cylinder is truly a rare and cherished powerplant.

Last edited by lmelvin; 02-18-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

your right i just looked into them and their a great car for a better price. the only problem is i read they were all manual and ive no idea how to drive one(im 18) and live in a mainly hilly area so i feel it would be too much of a struggle for me, but youve convinced me to get a 2.7t. what would you suggest the first things i would do to it? im on a limitedish budget so nothing too big.

thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it
Old 02-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audis are legit
your right i just looked into them and their a great car for a better price. the only problem is i read they were all manual and ive no idea how to drive one(im 18) and live in a mainly hilly area so i feel it would be too much of a struggle for me, but youve convinced me to get a 2.7t. what would you suggest the first things i would do to it? im on a limitedish budget so nothing too big.

thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it
Well honestly with the 2.7T you might need to spend a solid month and probably a few bucks just making sure everything is working properly before you starting upgrading. Drive it stock for a while and work out any bugs. I don't own one so I could't give you specifics but I know when things go wrong on them, they're a b*&ch to fix. So concentrate on finding a well kept car with a good history and make sure it's a well oiled machine (pun intended) then get nuts. Chip, injectors, downpipes, exhaust, turbo's. And that's not a bad order to go in either. You could always modify first then see what breaks but I don't suggest going that route. If you look in the B5 S4 forums I'm sure you'll get plenty of good info about these engines. Good luck. And don't worry, even stock the 2.7T is no slouch.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

alright sounds good ill make sure its in great condition when i buy it, youve been a bunch of help thanks a bunch man
Old 05-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audis are legit
alright sounds good ill make sure its in great condition when i buy it, youve been a bunch of help thanks a bunch man
I have an allroad with the 2.7t and if I were you I would go manual if you want to mod more than just a chip. I have an APR tune and if I were to go with K04s when my turbos go I would (since the engine is out anyway) put in a L10 torque converter or some other upgraded transmission because from what I understand the stock tranny will not be able to handle the power. Anyone with more experience can maybe enlighten us or do some forum searching on doing mods with a tip before you make your decision. My only regret on my allroad is the tip.

manual is easy to drive once you get used to it. AND A LOT more fun!