A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Explain the "Big Difference" between Audi and VW (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Did I hurt your feeling?

you must be really sensitive.

Harsh would be like GET THE F%^&*& OUT OF HERE!
Old 11-27-2002, 06:57 AM

Default Quality difference almost 0; Audi chassis is much stiffer; tuned a bit more for sporty driving

And yes, it's smaller, but the 3.0 is much nicer than the 2.8 (not difficult).

...that's about it HONESTLY.

Although lots on here like to pretend that the Audis come out of some otherworldly source that is vastly superior to VW.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:58 AM

Default Wrong

Sorry Dennis, they are identical.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 3 beetles here and they all were at the dealer all the time.

Window switches, interior trim falling off, interior paint rubbing off, rattles, ac condensor, belt tensioners, seat belt catches, the list goes on and on.
VW and Audi are the farthest apart from each other compared to any other car makers, ie. nissan/infinity, honda/acura, toyota/lexus...
Old 11-27-2002, 07:00 AM

Default Warranty is almost identical; Passat has quattro; Audi isn't prestigious (like BMW or MB, Lexus)

and it's getting less so each day as its corporate parent (VW) screws it further by coming out with better, cheaper models.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:02 AM

Default If you are in similarly priced models, there is little difference

The Audi style is a bit nicer and more avant-garde/modern, but the quality is about the same.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The Passat and the A4 do indeed have many similarities. That does NOT make them the same car.

Fisrt, no one is knocking VWs. A very high number of A4 owners have owned VWs (I have owned 4 VWs in the last 25 years, not to mention a Datsun 510 and an RX-7 as well - my last two cars were GTI VR6s, and I was pleased with both of them).

Second, anywhere a large number of owners collect, they will discuss their problems, and this tends to magnify the impression of reliability problems. Go to the bimmer forums, it's the same there.

The A4 is engineered for a higher degree of performance (particularly suspension and handling),luxuries (Passat interior is nice, but is nowhere close to the A4), and options (sport suspension, etc.) compared to the Passat. There are technologies such as ESP that are simply not present on the Passat (unless you go for the W8, and that's one expensive VW). And AWD allows you to push the car places where FWD cannot go.

Having said all that: The Passat is a great car and a great value. If YOU have driven both, and you do not perceive a significant difference, then by all means get the Passat.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nope. both 4-motion on the Passat and quattro on A4 are torsen, so they are exactly the same system.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:19 AM

Lexus prestigious? They're Toyotas with nicer lights and leather. Same situation as VW and Audi
Old 11-27-2002, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default This is not a simple question...(long)

It is not what you see that makes the difference, it is what you don't see. I will give you several examples but, consider this: You are the parent company of two German marques. One will be sold as a high volume, basic transportation family car in competition with other high volume manufacturers ie, Honda, Toyota, etc. The other will be sold as a premium luxury sport tourer ie, M-Benz, BMW, etc. Throw out the size comparisons between VW and Audi. What will be your primary focus in manufacturing a volume car? Your answer should have been... "cost". What is your primary focus in manufacturing the high-end car? "How can I can I make mine better than everyone elses." You see, you have to justify the difference in price.
The suspensions, brakes, engines, and transmissions are more sport tuned on Audi's. The cars are more capable because their owners will drive them that way. Many cars can get to 130 mph, but they are not designed to stay there. If you will notice, most of the technical innovations (not all)are filtered down through Audi, not VW.
By the way, I happen to like both but after fifteen years of ownership, the differences, obvious or not, can be felt if not seen and heard.
4motion is the same technology developed for the TT. It works but, it was a compromise because of the size and packaging constraints of the car. The Torsen differential is more dynamic, and is still superior in its application. If your sales person could not demonstrate its capabilities...shame, shame. Multitronic (CVT)is not offered on VW, yet. I could go on but, my advice would be to drive them back-to-back one more time. If you truly cannot justify the difference in price, become a proud owner of a new VW. Both are good choices.

Quick Reply: Explain the "Big Difference" between Audi and VW (long)