A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

New A4 Quattro - should we also buy extended warranty

Old 02-23-2014, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New A4 Quattro - should we also buy extended warranty

Wife just bought last week her fist Audi, a new 2014 A4 Quattro TFSI - Scuba Blue. The dealer offered her the option to buy Extended Warranty and if we buy it within the next 30 days, we get $700 rebate.

Is it worth buying? She tends to keep her cars for 8~9 years. I see there is a $100 deductible for every claim.

PS wanted to post photo, but can add image when usin iPad. Go figure.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With an Audi, the extra warranty will pay for itself easily. Especially if shes keeping it long term. Just be sure what the terms are, deductible, what it really covers, how much in dollars in repairs they cover up to before they stop. I see alot of aftermarket warranty's and they will really hide some bs in there.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2010 A5 Cabriolet Quatro/Premium Plus. It's factory warranty expires in about a week. Considering an extended warranty also, but have always heard what a rip off they are. Do you recommend buying one on a used Audi (also plan to keep it at least 5 years) and if so, do you suggest buying the Audi plan through an Audi dealer, or buying an aftermarket plan from Carchex, or someone else? THANKS for the advice. Fist time Audi owner, but a little scared of repair costs and not handy with a wrench...
Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zigaroo
Wife just bought last week her fist Audi, a new 2014 A4 Quattro TFSI - Scuba Blue. The dealer offered her the option to buy Extended Warranty and if we buy it within the next 30 days, we get $700 rebate.

Is it worth buying? She tends to keep her cars for 8~9 years. I see there is a $100 deductible for every claim.

PS wanted to post photo, but can add image when usin iPad. Go figure.

Yes, if you plan on keeping ANY German car beyond the standard warranty, you will need an extended one. Current German cars usually hold up well the first 3-4 years, then things slowly start going wrong electrically and are very expensive to fix. A quick look at Consumer Reports ratings still shows Audi ontop of it's peers, but plenty of issues cropping up after the 4 and 5 year mark.
If you do the warranty, bargain and haggle on the price. Everything is negotiable and the dealer gets big "rewards" when they sell one. There's incentive on their part.
One last option you have is to skip the extra warranty until yours is about to expire. Then, you can shop around for the extended warranty via Audi (also negotiable). The possible advantage to this is you aren't paying for something you may never use while you already have the standard warranty.

Last edited by SFV A4; 02-23-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It that a dealer extended warranty or Audi. I'd be very reluctant to by a dealer (3rd party) and one with a deductible. With 3rd party it may not be honored at all if at a different dealership or you may have to go through a horrible process to get any repayment.

I agree with the statement that with any German car - don't own without some sort of warranty. When they break and they will eventually - they can cost an unbelievable amount to fix.

I had a car once, not an Audi, which had a lot of issues, when I sat in the waiting room I listened to customer after customer get a lengthy explanation of why their extended warranty didn't cover that repair. I'm very concerned about 3rd party warranties.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CTJon
It that a dealer extended warranty or Audi. I'd be very reluctant to by a dealer (3rd party) and one with a deductible. With 3rd party it may not be honored at all if at a different dealership or you may have to go through a horrible process to get any repayment.

I agree with the statement that with any German car - don't own without some sort of warranty. When they break and they will eventually - they can cost an unbelievable amount to fix.

I had a car once, not an Audi, which had a lot of issues, when I sat in the waiting room I listened to customer after customer get a lengthy explanation of why their extended warranty didn't cover that repair. I'm very concerned about 3rd party warranties.
It should be through Audi, not a third party or the dealership. Most major manufacturers should offer extended warranties when the original one expires. I did this with my 2003 and thought it to be a fair deal. At that time, it was $1900 for 3yr/36k bumper to bumper with a $50 deductible.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The EW being offered is from Audi via a 3rd party. I will inquire if it's dealer specific or it can be honored anywhere by Audi.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you can't pull a few grand out of you pocket if emergency calls for it, buy the EW. The EW company is obviously making money so that outta come from somewhere, i.e the customers are overpaying when all's averaged out, as is the case with any insurance product.