Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Today I went 20 miles past "0 miles remaining" and filled with 20.186 gals

Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Today I went 20 miles past "0 miles remaining" and filled with 20.186 gals

This was the most I've put in. Of course I was kicking myself as I forgot to stop midway and restart the pump. At the current price of $3.76/gal, I hit this station's $75 limit with 19.899 gals filled. I feared restarting would overfill, but I did it anyway. It didn't overfill but only put 0.287 more gals in. I would have preferred to stopped mid way and let it naturally shut off when filling up. Oh well, I'll try to remember next time.

I think I'll keep adding 5 more miles past zero (ie 25 next time) until one day I run out, or feel some stumbling, etc. We'll see how daring I get

I'm still curious how many gallons I can fill - this friend's photo shows 22.295, but I don't know if this was at first shut-off, or if he filled more, or how this particular pump shut off. I've been stopping at first shut-off.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, loving the graph. Keep us updated; this is very interesting!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just curious, is that a diesel and gas pump? In the picture it looks like you're pumping regular.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NEVER let a diesel run dry. It won't just start right back up like a gas engine. You have to purge and prime the fuel lines and when the high pressure pumps are sucking in air and not getting any fuel lubrication you are damaging the system. is it really worth it to do this?
Old 01-14-2014, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Totally correct!

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
NEVER let a diesel run dry. It won't just start right back up like a gas engine. You have to purge and prime the fuel lines and when the high pressure pumps are sucking in air and not getting any fuel lubrication you are damaging the system. is it really worth it to do this?
Pumps also need the fuel for cooling, the more submerged the better.

Bob P.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Expert

The Q5 in the photo is a 3.2, believed to have the same tank.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I understand the Q5 is designed to shut itself down before then, but I don't really wamt to find out. But I do....
Old 01-14-2014, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too risky for me. I guess I'm just not that curious about it.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default On the pump picture curiosity, BTDT on my C5 4.2...

It has a 21.7/82L gallon tank as spec'ed Filled it hundreds of times over its 147K life I had it, and max fills were close to that. Ran it out once and it took basically that too. Except...for the one time I pumped well over 23 gallons into it. Only two possible explanations: 1) pump calibration was wildly off, broken or even fraudulent, or 2) being here in CA, we have vapor recovery pumps, and if the nozzle either malfunctions or you get aggressive on topping up too much and get it just right (wrong), you can just start pumping gas into the recovery system vacuum and pay for simply returning fuel to their underground tank. No, my tank did not miraculously grow one day.

Net, Audi and German stereotype companies are way too exacting to get their tank measurements off by any meaningful amount in my experience w/ a whole bunch of them over 35 years back to the C1. They are neither Chryslers nor Toyotas as examples (minivans) where I did see up to a couple of gallon variances from stated sizes. With cheap construction in simple cube type shapes in plastic molding--common in vehicles like those where they are mounted lengthwise on one side of the vehicle centerline instead of the complicated saddle style now typical of Audi quattro tanks--they could pressurize and expand over time. My old Chrysler T+C AWD even got recalled for that and a new tank fitted.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mark P
I understand the Q5 is designed to shut itself down before then, but I don't really wamt to find out. But I do....
I wonder if anyone here has seen the Seinfeld episode where Kramer takes a test drive with the car salesman to see how much beyond 'empty' they can go. Somehow this reminds me of that episode.... Was pretty funny!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Today I went 20 miles past "0 miles remaining" and filled with 20.186 gals