TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Won't start after head unit change.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start after head unit change.

Hi there, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to cars, and this weekend I picked up a nice MK1 TT 225.

Today I went to change over the head unit from tape player chorus to my own from my old car, everything seemed to be working great but then all of a sudden the head unit went off and now the car wont fire up?

I'm completely stuck on whats happened, I've checked the engine fuses in the drivers side door, and I've even left the battery off the car for 20 minutes or so to see if that helped.

Every other part of the car works fine I've stuck the original head unit back in and its got the word safe on it I assume its waiting on the radio code going in.

Does anybody have any ideas how I've killed my car and what I can do to get it working again
Old 04-14-2014, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeyshlut
Hi there, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to cars, and this weekend I picked up a nice MK1 TT 225.

Today I went to change over the head unit from tape player chorus to my own from my old car, everything seemed to be working great but then all of a sudden the head unit went off and now the car wont fire up?

I'm completely stuck on whats happened, I've checked the engine fuses in the drivers side door, and I've even left the battery off the car for 20 minutes or so to see if that helped.

Every other part of the car works fine I've stuck the original head unit back in and its got the word safe on it I assume its waiting on the radio code going in.

Does anybody have any ideas how I've killed my car and what I can do to get it working again
What year ? Chorus was never fitted to TT Mk I in the US. Concert I or Concert II.

For a 1999-2001 TT ,you may have blown the fuse for the ECU as some of the aftermarket harnesses have an problem on the wiring which shorts the diagnostic link to the 12 volt power.

Earlier cars are K-line. Concert I.

2002 is CAN-Bus Concert II and need a mod to the radio harness to make aftermarket head units work.

Pull the radio and harness and see if you can scan it.