95' 90 Quattro rear wheel bearings

Old 04-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95' 90 Quattro rear wheel bearings

Hey all,

I was curious if there was any knowledge out there on wheel bearings for the rear wheels of a '95 90 Quattro. I'm rounding out my senior year in college and the rear wheel bearings are starting to go (or rather, have already went).

I have a bentley manual, but my computer is going the way of my wheel bearings right now as well and I cannot quite access it. I have also searched the forum without much luck either. So, I have a few questions that I would appreciate your assistance on:

1. Is this a job that I can do myself (prefered), or one that is best taken to a shop (Nooo).
2. There are cheap-o wheel bearings, middle-of-the-road bearings, and up. What brands do you recommend?
3. If this is a DIY job, is there a good place for a how-to?

There probably should be more questions, but I haven't taken anything apart yet to see where I have overlooked things.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 04-06-2014, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

do you have a torch and a BFH?
ive done my not too long ago, first of all, getting the hub out is a pitta, and after you get the hub out, part of a bearing stays with it, you will have to pry it with some screw drivers and a hammer. to get the remains of a bearing out of the housing i would recommend using a press, if no press is available you will have to heat up the housing and knock out the bearings by using your BFH! after that is done, freeze the new bearings overnight in your favorite freezer and also preheat your oven to about 350-400 and drop your housing in there for about an hour. after its done cooking your bearings will just drop in... may have to use a hammer if you get the bearing crooked or you wait too long. i would also freeze your hub, but with that one you will have to use your hammer and something to support the bearing in the back area to get it in
if you don't have the tools available i would just take the housing off the car and bring it to a machine shopt with a new bearing, have them deal with it.
for bearings, try to get ***... but ive ordered my thrum az autohause and have not head any issues with it
Old 04-07-2014, 07:05 AM
No Bozos!

While using prybars and hammers works, don't.

I run a shop and do these all the time. People on forums always ask me about a lot of jobs if they are diy. The answer is always...maybe.

I use a Hub Shark to pull hubs. Banging them out can damage the housing. Not to say I've never done it, but to each their own. Getting the bearing out is more critical. If you round out or deform the seating surface and the new bearing is crooked it will sound horrible and fail quickly.

I might make a call to your local parts store and see if they have a hub puller to borrow or rent. It'll be worth it. If you can get the hub out yourself I'd then take it and the bearing to your favorite shop and have them press it out and in. They probably won't charge much. I have a 20 ton press and even then some bearings protest. Imagine that trying to pound it out with your hammer.

All in all, doing it yourself makes you feel good and usually saves a ton of money. You know what you can do, and what resources you have, only you can make the decision.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where are you? I happen to have an extra set of rear 75mm bearings in Cincinnati. Aren't you local here?

I just did the fronts on my cabriolet and the first place sent me the wrong size (fronts are 82mm)
Old 04-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by grillage
Where are you? I happen to have an extra set of rear 75mm bearings in Cincinnati. Aren't you local here?

I just did the fronts on my cabriolet and the first place sent me the wrong size (fronts are 82mm)
Thanks everyone for your input - I'll let you know how it goes/what I end up doing.. but I suppose I should probably try to graduate from university first.

Grillage - I just PM'd you.