TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

No heat/heater not working please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No heat/heater not working please help

Hey guys,

My 2000 Audi TT (base fwd 1.8 of course) heater is blowing luke warm air after the car warms up. After a while of driving the cabin gets decent (it's been 30-40 degrees outside lately). But something definitely isn't right, the heat out of the vents is never hot - not even warm. Here's what I know and what I've done so far:

What I know:

- Car heats up fine and temp gauge reaches and maintains center
- Blower fan is working (there is just one right?), air does come out of my vents
- I checked the diagnostics in the climate control unit, and 0 malfunction codes are returned.
- Also in the diagnostics of the climate control unit, when running 9c and 10c the values for the temperature regulator flap seem normal: if temp on system is set to "lo" it reports the flap is positioned in the low end (200s) and if on "HI" it reports in the high end (50s). This leads me to believe the computer at least thinks the temperature regulator motor is moving the flap into the correct position so perhaps it isn't bad.
- No engine codes
- Thermostat and Water pump (plastic prop, I know, dumb) were done about 2 years/50k miles ago with last timing belt
- I do not have VAGCOM

What I've done:

- Yesterday I did a complete coolant flush and also attempted to flush the heater core. I think I did it correctly - I removed the inlet and outlet hose after draining the system, hooked up some 3/4" hose and ran water through it in both directions from the hose. It came out clear, seemingly unrestricted and I did not see any debris or build up come out. So seemed fine.
- Today I disconnected the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes after reading it causes climate system and all motors to reset positions, which may help.
- Next today I took off the glove box thinking I might check the temperature flap motor anyway. Not sure if I got deep enough to see it or not and I have to go somewhere tomorrow so didn't want to completely tear the dash apart. I did spot two motors that seemed to be working just fine when I was playing with the temperatures from HI to Lo. I'm guessing they neither was the temperature regulator motor anyway since it's probably higher closer to the heater core, but at any rate here's a picture of them:

[IMG][/IMG]

Still no heat. Any ideas? Air trapped in core/getting in system? Inside of core built up and needs replaced? I'm lost, really do not want to go to the stealer-ship. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zer0star
Hey guys,

My 2000 Audi TT (base fwd 1.8 of course) heater is blowing luke warm air after the car warms up. After a while of driving the cabin gets decent (it's been 30-40 degrees outside lately). But something definitely isn't right, the heat out of the vents is never hot - not even warm. Here's what I know and what I've done so far:

What I know:

- Car heats up fine and temp gauge reaches and maintains center
- Blower fan is working (there is just one right?), air does come out of my vents
- I checked the diagnostics in the climate control unit, and 0 malfunction codes are returned.
- Also in the diagnostics of the climate control unit, when running 9c and 10c the values for the temperature regulator flap seem normal: if temp on system is set to "lo" it reports the flap is positioned in the low end (200s) and if on "HI" it reports in the high end (50s). This leads me to believe the computer at least thinks the temperature regulator motor is moving the flap into the correct position so perhaps it isn't bad.
- No engine codes
- Thermostat and Water pump (plastic prop, I know, dumb) were done about 2 years/50k miles ago with last timing belt
- I do not have VAGCOM

What I've done:

- Yesterday I did a complete coolant flush and also attempted to flush the heater core. I think I did it correctly - I removed the inlet and outlet hose after draining the system, hooked up some 3/4" hose and ran water through it in both directions from the hose. It came out clear, seemingly unrestricted and I did not see any debris or build up come out. So seemed fine.
- Today I disconnected the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes after reading it causes climate system and all motors to reset positions, which may help.
- Next today I took off the glove box thinking I might check the temperature flap motor anyway. Not sure if I got deep enough to see it or not and I have to go somewhere tomorrow so didn't want to completely tear the dash apart. I did spot two motors that seemed to be working just fine when I was playing with the temperatures from HI to Lo. I'm guessing they neither was the temperature regulator motor anyway since it's probably higher closer to the heater core, but at any rate here's a picture of them:

[IMG][/IMG]

Still no heat. Any ideas? Air trapped in core/getting in system? Inside of core built up and needs replaced? I'm lost, really do not want to go to the stealer-ship. Thanks in advance guys.
zer0star,

did you figure out what the problem is? I read your post the other day and now ironically it appears that my car maybe doing that same thing or something similar. My heater was working fine yesterday and this morning but now its only blowing cold air. When I move the thermostat well above the current reading from the gauge it doesn't blow at all. when the thermostat is set to about 5 degrees or less above the current temp it blows cold air.

I am wondering if the prob is related to the temp sensor telling the system when to run Cold vs Heat

any thoughts?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It sounds like the valves are not opening for the heat to enter. I think they call them flap motors and they open the ports for heating. Find out what controls them and I think you will find your problem.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re no heat

I would go with the heater core, you need to flush then in reverse , with com pressed air, you will find how to on YouTube, if there is sediment the water runs over it , put the compressed air will shift it.
Just dont wear clean cloths .