Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How do you hold small items in cargo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Shelf liner from Lowes, cheap!

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
I've seen some of the discussions regarding floor mats which doesn't totally answer, but I'm just wondering if you guys have anything to help manage smaller items in your cargo area?

For example, if I've gone grocery shopping and have a few bags of groceries... anyhting I can do to prevent it from sloshing around? Similar to shopping at the mall, things like that...
First I have the Audi OEM cargo liner and you know that is an ice skating ring for any cargo.

So I wanted a liner on top of that with a lot of grip. The best thing I found was the waffle-weave shelf liner. Lowes sells 2x10 FT black for $12. I cut two pieces to fit, duck taped the seam together from the bottom, and BINGO! Nothing moves on this stuff!

Now it's not durable to drag heavy items across it, so I roll it up quickly with ease when needed for the large heavy stuff.

It's definitely a cheap try....

http://www.lowes.com/pd_47550-14510-...ner&facetInfo=
Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a storage bin with handles similar to the Rubbermaid one posted above. Just throw your small groceries (fruit, produce, meat, etc) in there and carry it into your house. Larger boxed goods I leave in the plastic bag and place in the rear passenger footwell. Usually takes me 2 trips to bring everything inside - 1 for the cargo bin (I empty everything on the counter as soon as I get in), then I bring it back down to the car and grab the rest of the plastic bags from behind the driver's seat.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up one of these; rigid bottom, collapsible and great quality. It's in stock via Amazon for $45.

Rola 59000 M.O.V.E. Rigid-Base Interior Organizer (25" x 15" Rola 59000 M.O.V.E. Rigid-Base Interior Organizer (25" x 15"

Old 12-17-2013, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Why is this really any different than a sedan with a trunk?

, other than maybe you hear things move around sometimes. Same basic set up in the end w/ a broad flat load floor.

Thus, just like a sedan, if I don't want stuff to move around and can't brace it w other items, I just put it in the footwell of the back seat area or on the seat if I need more room and the item is clean. Sure, not for prying eyes and spillable stuff, but 90% of the time it's the likely solution to avoid the slide-around-the-trunk or cargo floor issue w/ zero extra equipment.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jubz
I picked up one of these; rigid bottom, collapsible and great quality. It's in stock via Amazon for $45.

Rola 59000 M.O.V.E. Rigid-Base Interior Organizer (25" x 15"

I have the same exact one for both my Audis, and they work great. They emit a strong chemically odor though when new, and this will linger in the car. So when I bought a second one, I left it out to air out for a few weeks before putting it in the car.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Would be nice if the above tote could be tied to the metal floor tie downs.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by koobah
Just use a bungee cord.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

It doesn't need it; the textured rubber surrounds on its base are very grippy on both either carpet and weathertech floor liner that they don't move around at all even after spirited driving or hard braking (though emergency full braking will still certainly throw it forward). I don't know what kind of G's you pull on public roads but even after a good romp on the RS with tires squealing for grip, the Rola stays put. But like someone said, a bungee cord should do the trick if you have to. You can run bungee through both handles and secure it that way.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure about Rola, but in the past I did have a similar one on my X5 and it had a tendency to flip when a taller, heavier item was stored. I'm really surprised Audi doesn't offer tote for Q5 through their parts dept. Well, not in US at least.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The end panels of the Rola do have a plastic ring sewn on where a bungee cord can hook into.

Quick Reply: How do you hold small items in cargo?