Excessive oil consumption with 2.0T engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 03:12 AM
A5G
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive Oil consumption

Hi,

I was reading up on this forum, i purchased an Audi A5 2.0T quattro, the car was 2009 and done 62k Miles on the clock.
The car is consuming 2.55 litres every 1000kms. I bought this car from an independent dealer. I brought the car to Audi through the dealer i purchased the car. However Audi are not willing to consider that there is fault, as the last service was not done at Audi.
After the two stages tests they recommended that the piston and piston rings need changing and quoted me for £5,400.

Is there anything or any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Because of excessive oil consumption your cat will be next...
Old 06-27-2014, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thumbs down Audi A5 Oil Consumption Problem

I bought my Audi A5 NEW from Audi Tamworth UK. Its registered Oct 2009. Oil problem was always there but they claimed it was normal. But it got so bad that they had to look at it Nov 2012.

It was repaired under warranty and given back to me. Other forums say it is a case of replacing Pistons and Con rods. But they said it only required to replace the crankshaft seals and breather valves.

But late 2013 it all started again!! I was due a service anyway so I booked it in and got it back all serviced. They said Oil has been sorted and if the warnig light comes on, then call in

Sure enough it did! A reduction in performance was noticed staright away and the black exhaust mark on the garage floor appeared. The oil was going from full to RED warning light in 250 miles !! Thats easily over a litre, maybe two of oil

Part one test was conducted. Failed

Part 2 test failed and Audi UK got involved with the dealership.

The solution is to replace Pistons and Con Rods. And once in there, if they notice any other damage, then that will have to fixed.

Audi UK agreed to give the parts free. Dealer reduced his costs from £120 per hour to £86 per hour. Total for 21 hours was around £2146.

But thats the minimum. once theyre in the car, they might find they need to charge for more.

I have decided to recover my car from the Tamworth Audi dealer, who still wants to charge me £200 for doing the oil checks

Following all the AUDI OIL CONSUMPTION PROBLEMS on the internet, and the poor experience I received, I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER AUDI EVER AGAIN !!

My Audi A5,....RIP !!
Old 09-17-2014, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by laxfan
Has anyone else who had the pistons changed noticed any loss of power?

I just had my pistons changed about 3 weeks ago on my 2010 Audi
A4 and I noticed a loss of power as well as a very strong burning oil smell inside the vehicle I never had before. I returned to the dealer 2 times already first they replaced the turbo charger and my car was still slow. Brought it back again and they said they had to update the transmission. I am bringing it back for the 4th time today because none of these fixed the issues. I just don't know what to do anymore.
How did this end up? I had stage 1 and 2 done on my car over the last month:

Stage 1:
Pressure Regulating Valve
Crankshaft Vibration Damper
Crankshaft Oil Seal, Pulley End
SVM Software Update - 24702599

Stage 2:
New Pistons and Rings

I felt like after the stage 1 software update I lost a little boost from the turbo.
After stage 2 I felt like it was idling a little rough and lower gas mileage.

I brought it back in today with these concerns and they said everything checked out fine. I was told that the engine needs to be broken in a bit and to red line it once in a while (hard break in) to seal the rings.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Need opinion on 2007 A3 oil 2.0t

Just purchased this car a week ago. I've immediately notcied the oil burning issue. I've logged and tracked it and it appears to be burning a quart about every 100-150 miles, I damn well know that is too excessive. My question is with the year model and mileage on the car, am I out of luck in having the dealer fix it? It currently has 111k miles.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xsentrick
Just purchased this car a week ago. I've immediately notcied the oil burning issue. I've logged and tracked it and it appears to be burning a quart about every 100-150 miles, I damn well know that is too excessive. My question is with the year model and mileage on the car, am I out of luck in having the dealer fix it? It currently has 111k miles.
Sue. Misrepresented sale.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, My Q5 used 1/2 a litre every 1000 kms and I was told that was normal. That didn't sit well with me thinking it might get worse so I traded it in on the Q5 3.0 TDI. Lots more power, great mileage and tows my trailer like it's not even there.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Post 07 Audi A4 - 2.0T

Question Ive Changed The Thermostat When The Code Came Up For A Bad Thermostat. Now My Temperature Gauge Still Rises Like My Car Is Over Heating But Its Not. Could This Be The Temp Sensor Has Gone Bad???? If Anyone Has Had This Issue Please Let Me Know How Can I Resolve This ASAP Thanx
Old 10-27-2014, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default S4 Oil Consumtion Problem

Bought my 2012 S4 about 6 month ago and right away noticed the oil consumption problem. Burned about 1qt in 3k miles. By no means have I been driving it hard so I took it to my local Audi dealership and based on TSB they replaced my crankcase pressure-regulating valve and asked me to come back after driving the car for 630 miles for Oil Consumption Test. Which apparently failed and I now I need my piston rings replaced. The car only has 27k on it. It's under warranty and I don't have to pay for any of the repairs but this is my first and last Audi as I've never had any major problems with any of my previous cars. I guess the more you pay the less you get... love the car! hate the problem!
Old 12-25-2014, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lugnuts4
Bought my 2012 S4 about 6 month ago and right away noticed the oil consumption problem.
I had a 2005 S4 Cabriolet with the 4.2L V8 and never had an oil problem. I have had an 2011 A4 Sport 2.0T since March 2011. At about 60K miles, I noticed a sharp increase in oil consumption. My dealer is a 160 mile round trip away, so I dealt with it by carrying oil in the trunk and adding 1 quart every 1000 miles or so. When I got down to 600 miles/quart, I took it in in October 2014.

First they replaced the breather valve and flashed the onboard computer. Then they did the oil consumption test, and the car failed. They offered pistons and rings on the house at 106K miles (and told me Audi USA was taking this issue "very seriously"). When they went to do the work, they told me there was scoring inside the cylinders, and that Audi would replace the engine, free of charge. The new engine is pending, so I can't comment on the outcome.

It appears that two things were happening at the same time. First, the engine was burning too much oil, and second, the computer was calling for oil when it wasn't needed. It never occurred to me that buying an car without an oil dipstick was idiotic, but now I know better.

I'll report back when the replacement engine is installed.

Quick Reply: Excessive oil consumption with 2.0T engine