Early 7A ('90 90 20v) Hall Sensor: Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early 7A ('90 90 20v) Hall Sensor: Replacement?

Hello everyone,

As the weather is getting warmer, my car is stalling again upon returning to idle.

Having this problem last year I have eliminated the following culprits: No vacuum leaks, proper fuel pressure (adjustable FPR replaced last fall), the ISV should be in good working order (it's relatively new/used), new injectors, and a new o-ring on the throttle body adjuster.

I believe the Hall Sensor is probably faulty; how might one diagnose a faulty Hall Sensor? Is there any way around replacing the whole distributor?

If not, does anyone have one for sale?
Can I get mine rebuilt?

Thanks,
Solid

Last edited by Solid20vq; 03-12-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Found the connector for the hall sensor flapping around the top of the distributor, so I JB'ed that b into place; it looks like one or more of the wires may have been grounding out on the distributor body.

Hope this does something. Will let everyone know tomorrow
Old 03-13-2014, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default "It sounds pretty good when it isn't stalling at every stop..."

No dice:

So my stalling issue happens when the car is warm, the temperature is 65*f or greater, and upon returning to idle. If I tap the throttle just before it drops below 1200rpm, it will drop to about 400-500 and recover usually, but this is tricky to do every time I am coming to a stop.

Don't know if it's relevant, but perhaps the problem worsens when I drive in the next town, which is 400ft higher in elevation. I bought an O-Ring kit today and I am going to replace the seals on my injectors. There's also a metal vacuum line running underneath, and connecting to the throttle body, which has a somewhat loose rubber elbow/connector. Going to try and seal that up.

In a previous post, someone mentioned the crankcase position sensor; which is tested by pouring cold water on it while the car is warm. If anyone could provide literature as to the location of this sensor, I would appreciate it. I have a hunch of which one it may be, and will employ this test as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I'm going to try a few things and will update soon.

Thanks,
Solid
Old 03-20-2014, 06:24 AM
x19
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Solid20vq
No dice:

So my stalling issue happens when the car is warm, the temperature is 65*f or greater, and upon returning to idle. If I tap the throttle just before it drops below 1200rpm, it will drop to about 400-500 and recover usually, but this is tricky to do every time I am coming to a stop.

Don't know if it's relevant, but perhaps the problem worsens when I drive in the next town, which is 400ft higher in elevation. I bought an O-Ring kit today and I am going to replace the seals on my injectors. There's also a metal vacuum line running underneath, and connecting to the throttle body, which has a somewhat loose rubber elbow/connector. Going to try and seal that up.

In a previous post, someone mentioned the crankcase position sensor; which is tested by pouring cold water on it while the car is warm. If anyone could provide literature as to the location of this sensor, I would appreciate it. I have a hunch of which one it may be, and will employ this test as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I'm going to try a few things and will update soon.

Thanks,
Solid
Hi, did you test the operation of 02 sensor with back probe? If you could find the swinging like 0.2 ~0.8v on DVM all the time which means the fuel mixture is all wright. If you see the voltage lower than 0.5v at idling and stays, this means you have a vacuum leak at the some place like hose connection etc. x19
Old 04-03-2014, 03:29 PM
No Bozos!

If the crank sensor was bad, you wouldn't be able to restart it. It's only checked POS. As mentioned check the O2 voltage, better with a scope than a DVM. Many are damped so much you won't see anything significant. Hook up a vacuum gauge too. It should be stable in the area of 17 mm (many diy gauges have a "range" on the face). If when it gets hot and stalls, I am betting you'll see the vacuum drop to near zero indicating a hot leak.