GOO

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

It's WIDELY known that short trips such as your wife's commute are car killers. Search "white goo on oil cap" on Google, and you'll find threads in forums for literally every car brand known to man about this topic. It happens to them all. All cars have to deal with water vapor in the oil. This is not just an Audi or VW thing.

It's also not the end of the world. It will only be very bad in extremely cold weather. Once things warm up, the problem will all but go away.

I'd still suggest that perhaps once or twice a week she take the long way home, and give it the beans a few times, to really get the oil flowing. The old "Italian Tuneup" works wonders on German cars too. =)
Old 02-10-2014, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

An Engine creates 1 gallon of water for every gallon of gasoline burned. How is it Audi's fault you drive the car 5 minutes a day in super low temps. Its how it is, cold engine suddenly has heat inside water condenses in the crankcase and the oil must reach the boiling point of water to get the water to boil out. Just change the oil more frequently. The 10-15k oil changes are not doing any 2.0T any good. And if thats your oil change intervals driving it 5 minutes a day its really not going to last long. Its how any internal combustion engine is. Cold=wear hot=efficiency. You drive it cold always so its going to wear fast.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveRm8002
I'm gona go out on a limb and say that nobody at Audi ever told you or your wife that you should get a job 20 minutes further from your home to solve your problem. Not only did they ever say that, they never even suggested it.
What they did say was it takes a few minutes of driving for the car to get to normal operating temperature.
Dave...Thanks for responding. I apologise for allowing my frustration with this situation to allow sarcasm to slant my posting. However the the words that Audi has used to advise me regarding this situation have exactly the same effective meaning.

My feeling that an Audi is just a car and should work at least as well as all the other cars I, and many of my car buddy friends, have owned. I do undesrstand that in an ideal world we would operate the car longer but also think the reason auto manufactures test cars in the desert, in the artic, and a hundred other ways is that they recognize that some owners will operate the cars in extreme environments.

Every other car I have owned with the exception of this Audi has been able to warm up in the time my wife commutes enough to prevent accumulation of moisture in the crankcase.

All of the other car guys I speak to agree this GOO is just not right? Again, thanks for your thoughts on the matter....vance
Old 02-11-2014, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
It's WIDELY known that short trips such as your wife's commute are car killers. Search "white goo on oil cap" on Google, and you'll find threads in forums for literally every car brand known to man about this topic. It happens to them all. All cars have to deal with water vapor in the oil. This is not just an Audi or VW thing.

It's also not the end of the world. It will only be very bad in extremely cold weather. Once things warm up, the problem will all but go away.

I'd still suggest that perhaps once or twice a week she take the long way home, and give it the beans a few times, to really get the oil flowing. The old "Italian Tuneup" works wonders on German cars too. =)
Thanks again Kris...we certainly do try to get out when we can to really warm it up.best wishes...vance
Old 02-26-2014, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Slo-Lane
Kris...1st...Thanks for responding. Audi has told me repeatedly that I need to drive the car for a time long enough to burn this off. I understand this would be ideal...but it's not reality. I don't remember receiving a disclaimer when I purchased this car "Do not buy this car if you're only going to drive it 10 minutes to work". My wife has made this same commute for 11 years in 4 other vehicles and we have never had this problem. Audi and every other manufacturer tests (or should test) their cars in various environments including cold weather, desert etc extensively before releasing these cars into production. I have suggested to Audi that perhaps a different (hotter)thermostat would allow this car to burn off this moisture. I timed how long the car took to warm up to full operating temperature last night (44 degrees F). In 8 minutes of idling it never came up to full operating temp. It took 5 more minutes of driving for the needle to reach the normal range.

At the end of the day the car should perform irregardless of whether or not people make a 10 minute trip or a 2 hour trip.
- you know its actually detrimental to the motor to idle for extended periods of time.

and Audi is correct in you should repeatedly drive longer trips with varying loads(to increase/decrease vacuum) as this will help remove water vapor through part of what the PCV system is designed for.

- its either that or change your oil more frequently.

you probably should check the PRV/PCV valve to make sure they are not clogged as this will further contribute to these problems.

one way to make the car warm up faster is changing the ratio of additive to water in the coolant.

using 50/50 ratio will allow car to warm up faster than using 60/40 or 70/30.

usually going higher ratio with coolant should only be done where conditions permit the use such as higher ambient outside temps.

the fact that the car will warm up by the time your wife gets to work will have little effect on the water, this is because she(and im assuming) will shut the car off upon arrival to work.