Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Manual shifting is jerky - lurches when I downshift

Old 12-14-2013, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual shifting is jerky - lurches when I downshift

I only use manual shift when driving in snow.
I will often downshift when going down a hill to avoid hitting the brakes to slow.

When I use the tiptronic to downshift, instead of instantly going down one gear, it seems to disengage for an instant (as if the clutch was pushed down if I had one) and then engage. This results in a momentary lurch forward until the lower gear catches. This of course defeats the purpose of using the downshift to gently slow my wheels.

This happens in every case when I am going downhill and I downshift.

It is unlike automatic shift which occasionally has some awkward shifting....

Has anyone else noticed this. Is there any adjustment to fix? My volvo and subaru each have similar manual shifting available and don't do this. THe audi should outshine both of these cars...but it doesn't so far.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by radman2020
I only use manual shift when driving in snow.
I will often downshift when going down a hill to avoid hitting the brakes to slow.

When I use the tiptronic to downshift, instead of instantly going down one gear, it seems to disengage for an instant (as if the clutch was pushed down if I had one) and then engage. This results in a momentary lurch forward until the lower gear catches. This of course defeats the purpose of using the downshift to gently slow my wheels.

This happens in every case when I am going downhill and I downshift.

It is unlike automatic shift which occasionally has some awkward shifting....

Has anyone else noticed this. Is there any adjustment to fix? My volvo and subaru each have similar manual shifting available and don't do this. THe audi should outshine both of these cars...but it doesn't so far.
And how do you regain traction if your wheels start to slip?
Old 12-14-2013, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
And how do you regain traction if your wheels start to slip?
Frankly, it hasn't caused my wheels to slip. Seems like it potentially could...but hasn't yet. It is a quick jerk as the gear catches. So far it is just unnerving...but it shouldn't happen.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Which engine do you have
Old 12-14-2013, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
Which engine do you have
The 4 cylinder.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is because the lockup clutch disengages so the solid coupling momentarily switches to the viscous coupling of the torque converter to facilitate the gear change, once the downshift is complete the lockup clutch re-engages to give maximum engine breaking of a solid engine-gearbox coupling again.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by josedebardi
It is because the lockup clutch disengages so the solid coupling momentarily switches to the viscous coupling of the torque converter to facilitate the gear change, once the downshift is complete the lockup clutch re-engages to give maximum engine breaking of a solid engine-gearbox coupling again.
I'm not a car guy so I am following what you say...but just barely... It sounds reasonable.. but why is this occurring with Audi tiptronic but not volvo tiptronic? It seems so inelegant. Again, even my subaru doesn't do this (although that is a completely different transmission (continuous variable transmission).
Old 12-14-2013, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by radman2020
I'm not a car guy so I am following what you say...but just barely... It sounds reasonable.. but why is this occurring with Audi tiptronic but not volvo tiptronic? It seems so inelegant. Again, even my subaru doesn't do this (although that is a completely different transmission (continuous variable transmission).
The volvo may not have a lock up clutch would be my first guess, which would make it much less efficient as you are always loosing a lot of power through the viscous coupling.
As you say, CVT works differently, the point of it is that there is never a shift, it just varies the gear ratio in a continuously/infinite curve to match the required roadspeed/acceleration etc.

The wiki on torque converters is pretty good if you have a couple of hours! http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter
Old 12-14-2013, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. I'll read. Bottom line though is it makes me nervous in the snow.

As an aside, I don't love the CVT in the Subaru. It sounds and feels like it is always in a low gear. Having said that, I have never driven in a more stable car in the snow than the outback. I was driving my Audi in a very slippery snow the other day with cars sliding all over the place. I am an experienced snow driver but the Audi was having trouble maneuvering. I got stuck on a couple hills where someone in front had spun out and I had to stop. I couldn't get going again and did a lot of sliding sideways when trying to reposition myself.

Meanwhile, my wife, not a great snow driver was behind me in the outback. She was driving like it was wet pavement. No sliding whatsoever. After we finally made it home, I got in the outback and took it for a short drive. The stability was spectacular. I find the Audi to be fairly good in the snow. The problems I had the other day were because the snow was extremely slippery.... but the Outback outclasses the Audi and every other car I've ever driven by far. Again, not near as fun to drive normally...but give it to me in the snow. The difference was not just the transmission, it seemed to be the stance on the road or whatever the factors are that keep traction. I have manufacturer's tires on both and the subi's tires are a bit newer...but even when new, my audi and volvo have never held the road like this.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

How wide are the Q5 tires compared to the scuby?
My guess is a lot wider!
I presume it goes without saying all your cars are on proper winter tires...?

The CVT will help because as you say it can keep the engine always in a low rev range so you can control the torque to the wheels and reduce the chance of a spin.

Also, there will be differences in the 4x4 systems (assuming your other 2 have it?)... Quattro is not really designed for off road use IMO, more better on road handling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual shifting is jerky - lurches when I downshift