Pacific Northwest Discussion

Update on OWK: I talked to Matt's Mom today.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on OWK: I talked to Matt's Mom today.

First I would like to say that she was happy to hear about the outpouring of support from his local friends as well as the AW community. All of you are truly awesome.

She seemed to be doing as well as a mother could in this situation. I think she's trying to be strong, but it was tough for her to talk about. They were about to head back up to his apartment to find as much of his things as they could while it was still light out. I can't imagine how hard that must be.

Here are the details I found out. Matt's body is being shipped back to Pittsburgh for the funeral. She said that she would rather have a private funeral, but she assumed that many of his friends would show up. It sounded like she wouldn't mind a few friends, but didn't want 200 people showing up. I will talk to her again tomorrow and find out more details and if she minds if I post funeral information for the local people. If she thinks that is ok, maybe I can leave it up to your discretion to attend or not depending on how well you knew Matt.

I mentioned the condolences that all of you have offered. She was touched and wanted to see them. I will be gathering as many as I can find tomorrow, printing them out, and delivering them to her before she flies back to PA on Tuesday.

She was happy to hear about the memorial fund. I told her that the purpose was to ease their burden in this time. She confirmed that they would not need any financial help with the funeral or any expenses. She would rather see it go to something Matt would appreciate. I told her about the track event and she really liked the idea. We agreed to decide at a later date.

She said they found the keys to his car and motorcycle. I know that Matt would like to see the car go to another enthusiast. I will probably help her coordinate that. More details to follow.

For the local guys: I mentioned that we were going to have our own memorial service at the weekly GTG site, Feierband. Both of his parents would like to attend. They are leaving to return to Pittsburgh on Tuesday, but will need to come back as they still have a lot stuff to take care of. I told them we were tentative on the 29th, but after finding out they want to attend, I will be planning it around their schedule. She did not know exactly when they will be coming back, but it will most likely be that week. I will let everyone know as soon as possible because I know a few of you are coming from Portland. I think it would be really good to have them there. The friendships that Matt made in only 5 months of living here are a testament to his character.

Well, I guess that's all for now. The AW community is truly amazing.

RIP buddy.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:27 PM

Default DAMN IT... I'm choked up. Thanks for taking care of this Jake.

Goodnight Matthew.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes. I will mention that.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good work
Old 11-19-2006, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hi Jake. Thanks for the update, and for taking the time to keep us posted.

I emailed Angela at Prost regarding the event room at Feierabend but have not heard back from her yet. I can either continue to coordinate the event room reservation, or I can forward her response on to you when I get it. Let me know if you have time to do this or if you would like me to. I had requested the 29th at 7:00 pm but hopefully we can change that to another night if that doesn't work for Matt's parents.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That sounds good. Go ahead and keep me updated. I will let you know when they are coming back.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Elder Member

Default 2 thumbs up for what you are doing. I really wish i could make the memorial GTG.

But I think the law may be a factor in that one.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks for the follow up.

Any more details on donations?
Old 11-19-2006, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Click the link in my sig. If you don't want to use Paypal, I'll be setting up one at BOA tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the update. And thanks again for coordinating everything with his parents.

You are truly a good friend. I'm sure this is a hard time for you as well. We all appreciate the updates and the efforts you are doing on our behalf for Matt and his family.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Update on OWK: I talked to Matt's Mom today.