A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

For those that regularly drive in the snow...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those that regularly drive in the snow...

So I've been searching google for a while today about this particular topic and have watched a ton of youtube videos. Both my wife and I have AWD vehicles. Mine is the 2002 2.7t 6 speed and my wife's is a 2010 Honda CR-V automatic. I've driven in snow plenty of times before, mainly with 2WD vehicles and have been just fine. However, we are getting 12" of snow tonight, or so they say. Since there will be quite a bit out on the roads and I have to go to work, no other option, I am looking for some quick opinions.

Would you drive the 2.7t with 17" sport wheels + Dunlop SP Sport 9000 tires? Or would you drive the CR-V with all season Goodyear Assurance tires? I've been dying to try out the Audi in deeper snow, but am I bit concerned about braking distances with the current tire set-up. Anyway, I think it's pretty obvious that we don't get much snow like some of you do. Thanks for the opinions...
Old 02-12-2014, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Rob, while I don't know either tire you are running, I'd be inclined to drive the AWD CR-V. That kind of ground clearance can be a real advantage. Be safe.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ya, as long as that Honda is AWD I would go with that. (Bonus if it has TCS)

Those tires on the Audi just don't seem like they'll offer any grip (based on a quick google). While TCS and AWD will help some on the Audi with those, if you get into any kind of situation where the front end is plowing through the snow at all I think those tires will just give up and offer zero traction. Now MAYBE if you had even those fabric "snow chains" the Audi might be an ok bet, but without proper traction AND the reduced clearance, I think the Honda would work better.

(Unless that Honda is just FWD, not sure if that was even an option on those, then it might go back to being a toss up.)
Old 02-12-2014, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Crv
Old 02-12-2014, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gsrob
Would you drive the 2.7t with 17" sport wheels + Dunlop SP Sport 9000 tires? Or would you drive the CR-V with all season Goodyear Assurance tires? I've been dying to try out the Audi in deeper snow, but am I bit concerned about braking distances with the current tire set-up. Anyway, I think it's pretty obvious that we don't get much snow like some of you do. Thanks for the opinions...
Quattro may get you moving regardless of your tires, but the tires are what let you stop and steer. As inadequate as all-seasons are in winter temps and conditions they will still be significantly better (read: safer) than a pure summer performance tire.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by acarney
Ya, as long as that Honda is AWD I would go with that. (Bonus if it has TCS)

Those tires on the Audi just don't seem like they'll offer any grip (based on a quick google). While TCS and AWD will help some on the Audi with those, if you get into any kind of situation where the front end is plowing through the snow at all I think those tires will just give up and offer zero traction. Now MAYBE if you had even those fabric "snow chains" the Audi might be an ok bet, but without proper traction AND the reduced clearance, I think the Honda would work better.

(Unless that Honda is just FWD, not sure if that was even an option on those, then it might go back to being a toss up.)
The Dunlop SP9000 isn't totally bad in snow with Audi…I've got them on our 2K4.2A6 since January 2000 and ran them for two winters…but finally got a set of Dunlop or Pirelli winter tires on separate wheels. This year I didn't put the winter tires on and wifey has been doing ok with the SP9000 tires again. We've gotten to the point where we just don't go outside during the big snows, which we haven't' had for a couple of years.

BTW, the CRV is front wheel drive with a multi plate silicone inter axle diff….when the front wheels both lose traction, i.e., their is a differential rotational velocity between the front and the rear propshaft the inter axle diff transmits torque to the rear and the rear drives. On the 2004 CRV…I don't think they've changed it to AWD in the sense that power goes to all four corners all the time.

The wiki also says that.
http://www.awdwiki.com/en/honda/
Old 02-12-2014, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you guys all for the opinions. Sloop, I read that particular article and that's exactly what the CR-V has. It says 4WD but but the dual-pump setup seems ridiculously complicated. What happened to good old 4WD??? Anyway, I'll see how much snow we get tomorrow before any decision is made. I do think the ground clearance as noted below will be helpful if we truly get 10-15" of snow...
Old 02-12-2014, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know the tires, but they look to be strictly summer tires. I know that I have used all season tires of all sorts on my 2004 A6 2.7TQ and I have put that thing through snow up to the front bumper - no joke. It will go through anything. Having said that, this can become a disadvantage in some cases- mainly when it can get you momentum, but you can't stop or steer that momentum (like going down the road sideways or off the road).

While I think the Audi has maybe the best snow handling you can buy, the tires would make me hesitant. Go with the all seasons.

Be careful in snow either way - 2 tires or 4 tires can all slide the same.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=SloopJohnB@mac.com;24540005]The Dunlop SP9000 isn't totally bad in snow with Audi…I've got them on our 2K4.2A6 since January 2000 and ran them for two winters…but finally got a set of Dunlop or Pirelli winter tires on separate wheels. This year I didn't put the winter tires on and wifey has been doing ok with the SP9000 tires again. We've gotten to the point where we just don't go outside during the big snows, which we haven't' had for a couple of years.

I did a newspaper route for 3 years with my 03. Out delivering 364 days a year and in plenty of snow which was always unplowed at 2-4am. Had Michelins, Pirellis, Goodyears, BF Goodrich, Yokohama, and Contis. Went through a set every year (all the k-turns, u-turns, driveways, and ditches killed them on dry pavement killed them - average about 17K miles) but they were always all-season. Never had any problems in heavy snow with any. Still, took the wife's MDX or my Dodge 2500 when snow was really heavy - mostly because driveways were never plowed.

That said, I'd opt for the CRV because of the tires and ground clearance. I've got a 100 mile round trip in this mess tomorrow and as luck would have it, blew an HID on the 03 tonight and rear wiper motor on the 06 Saturday. Lame duck either way. Good luck.

By the way, my 06 has Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires (not my choice) and I have to say the are nice riding and traction is 'almost' as good as my Conti DWS extremes in snow.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

In 2000 they were all season, by 2002 they were summer tires..LOL. Of course I coud be wrong in my recollection. Mine were OEM and they're only made overseas now..

Quick Reply: For those that regularly drive in the snow...