S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Methods to remove swirl marks?

Old 04-09-2010, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Methods to remove swirl marks?

So I gave the S4 a nice wash today, and as I was drying the trunk lid I saw a very fine, light scratch on the top. There must have been a piece of debris in my microfiber drying cloth. So i reached for my 3M scratch remover and buffed out the scratch, but it left swirl marks! So then I attempted to use Nu-Finish wax to remove the swirl marks, thinking the 3M scratch remover is slightly abrasive. Unfortunately for me, it just made the swirl marks even bigger.

Not quite sure what to do. Is there any product or methods you guys have for removing swirl marks?
Old 04-10-2010, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Zymol HD Cleanse followed by Zymol Carbon wax. Both hand applied.

I've used them for years on my cars - they take some time to apply, but the results are quite amazing.

See more at Zymol

edit:
oh, and if you think $50 is expensive for the carbon wax, check out their Royale Glaze - sure it's a full 44 oz, great that it's refilled for life. But $8,416 for a thing of wax? yikes.

Last edited by mellow_sparky; 04-10-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShadowJet
So I gave the S4 a nice wash today, and as I was drying the trunk lid I saw a very fine, light scratch on the top.
I think Meteor Gray shows scratches easily. In the sun, I see lots of scratches on the hood.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ShadowJet
So I gave the S4 a nice wash today, and as I was drying the trunk lid I saw a very fine, light scratch on the top. There must have been a piece of debris in my microfiber drying cloth. So i reached for my 3M scratch remover and buffed out the scratch, but it left swirl marks! So then I attempted to use Nu-Finish wax to remove the swirl marks, thinking the 3M scratch remover is slightly abrasive. Unfortunately for me, it just made the swirl marks even bigger.

Not quite sure what to do. Is there any product or methods you guys have for removing swirl marks?
The 3m product you used has some abrasives. It usually needs to be followed with a finishing polish on a less abrasive pad to clear the swirls. My S4 is on it's way so I haven't got a good combo for you. I detail my cars as a hobby so I have a Dual Action polisher and many different polishes/pads. There are some over the counter swirl removers from Meguairs that you may want to try as well.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

you can only remove swirls with a machine. I personally use a porter cable with an orange cutting pad and do the swirl remover, then polish compound to knock out the swirls.