S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

B8 S4 Ignition Problem Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B8 S4 Ignition Problem Key Fob

Not sure what is going on and tried to do some research here and on google and haven't really come up with anything that I can relate to..

I currently have approximately 58K miles on my 2011 S4 (6MT). Only issue I've had with the car is my water pump/thermostate failure. Over the last 6 months I've noticed that my car doesn't start when I put the key fob in the ignition. My dash lights up (it sounds like the fan/fuel pump turns on) but the car will not turn. I'll take the key fob out of the ignition and re-insert the fob into the ignition and the same thing will happen and the car fails to start. At times I've actually gotten out of my car locked it (recite a prayer) and go through the motions and sometimes the car starts. Has anyone else had this problem? I've replaced the primary key fob battery three times.. but now it seems like that doesn't even help. Right now I'm on day three with my secondary key fob and it seems to be working better but I've encountered on two separate occasions the car not starting on the first try. I had to re-insert the (secondary) key fob.. and it would start on the second try. I'm thinking it is a key fob issue but I haven't come across anything similar other than the thread below. I've called audi tech to see if there were others to no recollection from the tech. I told him how i was trouble shooting and he said those were all proper trouble shooting steps he would have advised. If the problem persists with the second fob he said to drop the car off so they can run a diagnostic check. Anyone else encounter this?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...y+fob+ignition

Last edited by Evo8twoS4; 02-24-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the safety switch on the clutch is bad or going bad? I thought I had an issue with a previous car and it ended up that I wasn't pushing the clutch down far enough to be able to start it. I am pretty sure the S4 has one of these switches too.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ob_1jr
Maybe the safety switch on the clutch is bad or going bad? I thought I had an issue with a previous car and it ended up that I wasn't pushing the clutch down far enough to be able to start it. I am pretty sure the S4 has one of these switches too.
I initially thought this was the issue and I literally stomped the clutch as hard as possible to no avail. But I'm still not ruling that out. The tech too mentioned it could be the clutch fwiw.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the switch was messing up or if you had a bad wire, slamming the clutch to the floor most likely wouldn't help. I hadn't looked close at my car to see if I could see the switch like on my other car. I know read where some people bypassed that switch so they could put a remote start on their manual transmission cars. I believe they just spliced the wires together.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ob_1jr
If the switch was messing up or if you had a bad wire, slamming the clutch to the floor most likely wouldn't help. I hadn't looked close at my car to see if I could see the switch like on my other car. I know read where some people bypassed that switch so they could put a remote start on their manual transmission cars. I believe they just spliced the wires together.
I can't speak to how this works on my S4, but on my old Jetta I put a remote start in and bypassing the clutch detection literally involved splicing the two wires that go to the clutch together. With a remote start though you'd want to put a relay in place so that it only bridges the wires when you are remote starting the car.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I took the car to the dealership for a diagnosis. I was on a good stretch with the car starting the last 5 days. But, again the randomness hits at the right time. Upon arrival at the dealership, the service advisor and valet couldn't start the car on three different occasions to get the car to the garage. In a weird way I was relieved because I feared they would not be able to re-create the problem and effectively troubleshoot( and send me on my way) I will post details later in the week.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Evo8twoS4
Well I took the car to the dealership for a diagnosis. I was on a good stretch with the car starting the last 5 days. But, again the randomness hits at the right time. Upon arrival at the dealership, the service advisor and valet couldn't start the car on three different occasions to get the car to the garage. In a weird way I was relieved because I feared they would not be able to re-create the problem and effectively troubleshoot( and send me on my way) I will post details later in the week.
Well I was just told the problem, it is the clutch master. It is a two day job.. will provide update. As soon as I found out from the service advisor I did a quick search and yielded the below. Figured it would be worth while to put in other threads that relate to this here. Man.. can't catch a break. In September I had a water pump/thermostat failure and now this.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...t-quot-Problem

http://www.faqs.org/car/audi-b8-2013/

https://forums.audiworld.com/archive...t-2857044.html

Last edited by Evo8twoS4; 03-03-2014 at 11:48 AM.