A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 05:53 AM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said, the market exists to solve the problem that the "experts" don't have a solution for. So, basically you have a specialty shops across the nation coming up with "non-expert" solutions. The link provided earlier is from another premium shop that provides a valve body for the ZF 09L in our cars. Is it snake oil, or is there a real market out there? Perhaps the free market and a little logic go longer than the word of "experts" who may be covering their butts. Personally, I just find solutions without bias, like with my old 09D that had the rev flair. Others can change the fluid and cross their fingers. The uberlame link in your post has the TSB showing the software coding validating at least part of the "press release" content.

http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Transmiss...2037-06-13.pdf

Hopefully, debating solutions for the goal of turning people towards logic will not devolve into turning people towards emotion instead. Can't hurt to check the software coding with the Vag-Com, right?

Here is a ZF media catalog with some good information on spare parts and such of the 09L, 31 pages. Hope this is useful to those starting to go down a precarious transmission ownership path. There is no reason for others without issues to climb aboard the panic wagon, IMHO.

http://www.zf.com/media/media/docume...21_Catalog.pdf
Old 12-14-2013, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

So the "press release" is from a local transmission shop.

Last edited by KevinGary; 12-14-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:15 AM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Local shop to who? That shop is in one state. Rev Max is in another and the tranny issues are worldwide, and being addressed nationwide via many local shops that deal with German vehicles. There are many local shops that rebuild valve bodies to address their clients needs. I am not endorsing any one of them; just highlighting that if enough of them exist; there must be a market for their services.

At least one of us can say that the widespread tranny problems on VW/Audi/Porsche problems have been addressed via mechanical ability and appreciation for logic. Knowledge of actually working on vehicles give insights that fluid changers obviously can't appreciate the value of. If anyone else out there wants to fix their tranny themselves with a valve body change rather than accept the design issues, everything in this thread is enough for any one with basic mechanical skills to accomplish; easy peasy. Virtual automotive knowledge and Internet diagnosis obviously has its limits because it conditions responders to assumption. There are others out there who can benefit from hands on real world solutions to relatively widespread documented issues. That is what Audiworld started out as. Owners helping each other; not self appointed kings of recycled BS perpetuating ignorance as a living breathing W.M.D (Weapon of Mass Deception). Anyone who thinks that having to adjust driving style via manual compensation of shifting to get around a ZF shifting anomaly because the manufacturer mouthpieces have assured them as such; deserves the consequences that come with it. Others, just DIY and smile knowing you have broadened your expertise and saved yourself some bucks. Become the tech you wish you had at the dealership. That is what Audiworld and Vag-Com enable Audi owners to be; to a point.

I guess the press release is local to some here; but the non-recall TSB highlighting a half fix instead of a expensive recall is from the manufacturer. Would a manufacturer issue a TSB if the problem was isolated? NO ! Do TSBs fix issues cry baby owners have? Yes. Is there a bean counter clearing every TSB after it goes through a cost-benefit-risk protocol to any manufacturer? YES!

Prolonged heat affects the long term operational viability of cheap solenoids purchased en masse and installed in OEM transmissions from ZF and Aisin/Warner. Simple logic. Fix it, or leave it alone. I am not selling anything, just providing options for those who won't accept a lower standard, and wish to empower themselves to deal with issues the "experts" choose to ignore.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

A little defensive/sensitive? I was just asking about the source of the information so that it could be weighed against what the tranny manufacturer was suggesting. By the way based on my observations on the various C6 forums, as well as what some consumer magazines have to say about the reliability of the C6 tranny, I think that the "press release" of the local tranny shop may be overstating that "there are a high amount of failures" and that "there is a common issue with the valve body".
Old 12-14-2013, 01:40 PM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Not defensive. I prefer to merit opinion on contribution potential vs. Internet expressed confidence. The information is open to be weighed or discarded by all or none, based on the weight of the argument presented. That assigned weight is going to be valued by the subjectivity, knowledge, and skill level of every interested or disinterested party. Dug into the topic out of personal interest and shared it for discussion and/or dissemination. Take it or leave it; no matter, and no ego.

Being fixated on the credibility of one source provided as one of many documenting and solving the known issues of the trannys is not the focus of my time and presentation in this thread. Quite frankly, based on contribution potential; I heavily weight the expertise presented by one local specialty tranny shop in anywhere U.S.A. vs. the ideology of the counter-opinion. No offense; but a fluid change and carbon cleaning as a counter-solution vs. those or any other "local" experts out there that actually fix problems via the root cause analysis, is a no brainer in weighted evidence from my perspective. Every issue has different perspectives. Please do not be offended by my lack of respect for your posted opinion on this topic. Nothing personal. I agree to disagree on the matter. Moving on.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No worries. Just reporting what fixed the problem for me.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:36 AM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by KevinGary
No worries. Just reporting what fixed the problem for me.
Don't mean to imply that your fix is completely without merit. In reality, it is the first logical step to attempt. Personally did a filter/fluid change on my other Touareg 3.2/09D at 32K and found the filter gasket was corrupted secondary to breakdown of material or improper seating of the filter on install (although hard to be 100% since the gasket was examined on taking out the old filter). It was VW part, FWIW. The gasket non-patency was probably causing the line pressure drop that would cause intermittent slipping. So, indeed your advice is the first logical step. If fluid change is done carefully, it can be re-used in a clean procedure if more invasive measures are required, IMHO.

One separate issue came up in looking into the tranny specific to our cars via Wiki.

" The ZF 6HP19 transmission is the second generation automatic transmission for passenger cars of the 6HP series manufactured by ZF Friedrichshafen AG. It retains many of the features found in the ZF 6HP26 transmission. The transmission is rated at 400 N·m (295 lb·ft) of torque. "

Max torque of the 4.2 6HP19A is rated at 310 ft/lbs at 3500 rpm. Owning this combo should not incite panic. It is just a point of interest since the ZF box is used in 3.2/4.2 A6 C6 quattro.

http://www.zf.com/media/media/docume...nsmissions.pdf
Old 12-15-2013, 08:46 AM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Cool DIY .pdf put out by a "local" to some California company.

http://www.thectsc.com/images/pdf/th...eplacement.pdf
Old 12-15-2013, 09:03 AM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

Interesting post from Phaeton guy from Vortex. (The use the 6HP19A from ZF as well)

" Hi Guys,

I just took my Phaeton to a VW dealer to have the ATF changed a month ago, as my Phaeton has 169000 KMs on the clock and I believe the ATF is not a "life time" item. I have posted the pictures in this thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...)-(ATF-Coolant

My car runs fine before the ATF change, I changed the ATF just as a precautionary measurement because I want to keep my Phaeton for a long time, after the ATF change, the car was fine when I drove 300 KMs back home, (that was back in October), but recently I have noticed something strange with my transmission, it doesn't do that all the time, just when the temp is below freezing point (especially below minus ten, but in Canada, we can get -20 or even -30 easily): the transmission seems jerks between 3 to 4 and 4 to 5, and sometime you can feel a moment of power loss when the gear shifts to 5th gear. and when the car goes down hill, the RPM jumps up and down when the gear is not actually shifting. the symptom seems getting better when the transmission completely warms up.

At first I thought it is because the dealer didn't upgrade the TCM and ECM as I read post on the TOC, the transmission software will need to be upgraded when the fluid was changed, the ATF dealer put into my transmission is G060162A2, I have contacted several other VW dealers and ZF, confirmed that is the correct part number for my Phaeton, but got mixed results on the TCM upgrade, all the VW dealers I talked to said the TCM doesn't need to be upgraded in my case, and it is when you update the TCM, fluid needs to be changed and not the other way around, but the email I received from ZF said the TCM needs to be updated, otherwise the clutch could be burned after a longer time.

I have been doing research online, and seems the jumping RPMs is related to the torque convertor, or the trans filter wasn't installed correctly. I talked to the service manager of the dealer which performed the work on my car, he said from his experience, sometimes a transmission with such high mileage, if you changed the ATF, it might have some problems, as the detergent in the new ATF will wash out the residue in the old transmission which the transmission already relies on to maintain proper seal, it might settle down after some time. I also performed a Vag-Com scan on my car, but shows no fault code found on transmission.

I am getting mixed information and really frustrated right not, now I feel I should believe "if it is not broken, don't fix it", I want to take care of my transmission by changing the ATF, but now I end up start to have problems, what shall I do now? Is it just because the new ATF is very sensitive to low temperature? Or is there something wrong with my torque convertor or is it because the dealer didn't do the job right?

Please help!

Thanks

Tomas "
Old 12-15-2013, 09:14 AM
AUJ
AudiWorld Super User

LAST OCD post on the issue. the 09L is very different from the 09D. DO NOT USE Valvoline Max Life ATF in these boxes. It is contrary to use in all boxes taking Lifeguard 6.

http://www.valvoline.nl/media/MaxLife-ATF.pdf

Quick Reply: Torque converter