A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Oil burn = replace pistons

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil burn = replace pistons

2009 B8 2.0T
Burning 1qt/ 1000 miles.

Audi says this is excessive after oil consumption test.
AoA tells dealer to tear down the engine. They find the pistons and rings were out of spec.

Result = replacing pistons and rings. Should have the car back next week.

This is concerning since the pistons probably came from the factory out of spec. That means there are more 2.0T's with bad pistons.

Just an FYI
Old 09-22-2010, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TurtleLakeA6
This is concerning since the pistons probably came from the factory out of spec. That means there are more 2.0T's with bad pistons.

Just an FYI
Very disconcerting indeedy .
Old 09-22-2010, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2009 B8 2.0T
Burning 1qt/ 1000 miles.

AoA tells dealer to tear down the engine.
Is this a first? Or perhaps a miracle?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by av_audi
Is this a first? Or perhaps a miracle?
A miracle - I know my dealer wouldn't even bother.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am just wondering out loud here. If we assume that engine parts are made to dimensional specifications, and then tested with CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) at assembly, how could one say they came from the factory out of specification? Could it be possible there is a defect in the materials, or worse a poorly composed specification that allows parts with decreased durability to be produced? This could be responsible for rapid wear of properly dimensioned pistons.

It is disturbing that Audi has long been known for excessive oil consumption, and to keep warranty costs down they use a what I consider a very high rate of oil consumption as "normal." 1 liter in 1200 miles is much higher than my experience with several hundred pieces of rolling stock I manage with internal combustion engines.

What is even more distrubing is Audi only permits an oil test under warranty every 25,000 miles to push cars out of warranty without repairs. Even the test is somewhat tilted toward results favoring the position of the manufacturer. They weigh the oil, place it in the engine and send the customer out to drive 600 miles, then remove the oil and weigh it again. I do not believe workshop scales have the necessary precision, nor do mechanics have the training required to properly set up and calibrate the scale for the rather small percentage difference in the weight of the total amount of oil. Audi does not want to accept the simple math of how many quarts were added over the miles measured.

Last edited by Moviela; 09-22-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

-Bad luck
-The way you broke it in
-Bad part

or a combination of all the above?

This is the first I hear about something like this and I hope it's the last.

As I posted in another thread, right now I practically have little to no oil consumption at almost 40k KMs. Started out at about 1 liter every 5000 then just went away right around when break in was suppose to be over (10 to 12k).

2010 2.0T
Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like bad luck. At almost 25K miles I had to add 1.5 quarts of oil total during lifetime of my car. It definitely burns some but the rate seems negligible and constant.

Good luck with your engine, hopefully they will fix it.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Oil level warning on 09 Avant

Originally Posted by Moviela
I am just wondering out loud here. If we assume that engine parts are made to dimensional specifications, and then tested with CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) at assembly, how could one say they came from the factory out of specification? Could it be possible there is a defect in the materials, or worse a poorly composed specification that allows parts with decreased durability to be produced? This could be responsible for rapid wear of properly dimensioned pistons.

It is disturbing that Audi has long been known for excessive oil consumption, and to keep warranty costs down they use a what I consider a very high rate of oil consumption as "normal." 1 liter in 1200 miles is much higher than my experience with several hundred pieces of rolling stock I manage with internal combustion engines.

What is even more distrubing is Audi only permits an oil test under warranty every 25,000 miles to push cars out of warranty without repairs. Even the test is somewhat tilted toward results favoring the position of the manufacturer. They weigh the oil, place it in the engine and send the customer out to drive 600 miles, then remove the oil and weigh it again. I do not believe workshop scales have the necessary precision, nor do mechanics have the training required to properly set up and calibrate the scale for the rather small percentage difference in the weight of the total amount of oil. Audi does not want to accept the simple math of how many quarts were added over the miles measured.
Funny that I am reading this. I just came here to check what oil my car needed. The warning indicator just came on with just over 31000 miles. Should I be alarmed as well?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Out of curiosity, how many miles is your car?

2009 B8 2.0T
Burning 1qt/ 1000 miles.

AoA tells dealer to tear down the engine. They find the pistons and rings were out of spec.

Result = replacing pistons and rings. Should have the car back next week.

Just an FYI
Old 09-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by validA4
Out of curiosity, how many miles is your car?
22,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Oil burn = replace pistons