A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Mityvac - oil change

Old 11-09-2013, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mityvac - oil change

This is the first time I've changed the oil with a Mityvac.

According to the MMI, i was down 50% on my oil. So, I'm figuring it thinks there's 4qts of the 4.5 qts in there. I don't know for sure that it was filled to 4.5 qts by the dealer on the last oil change.

I usually fill 5 qts into it, since my car used to burn a decent amount of oil.

Did the Mityvac and I pulled out exactly 1 gallon of oil (milk jug). And then it just kept pulling air.

Refilled it with 4qts of oil, and the dipstick was on the "MAX" marking.

Drove about an hour but the MMI doesn't have an oil reading yet.

I've got an extra quart in the car, if I need to top off the oil.

Anything else I should do? I've seen a lot of posts with people saying they pulled 5+ quarts the first time on a Mityvac, because they pulled it out of the engine too.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top up slowly, until MMI shows full or near full. My Mityvac pull all the oil out. I then replace with 5 qts and it reads full.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FSures
Top up slowly, until MMI shows full or near full. My Mityvac pull all the oil out. I then replace with 5 qts and it reads full.
We put in 4 1/2 qts and start it up and run it for 30 seconds and shut it off. Wait a few seconds and then check it on the dip stick and fill as needed. After driving for while during the day just turn it off and check the MMI.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Extraction requires the oil to be at operating temperature when the Mityvac is used.

Did you change the oil filter? 1/2 quart can hide in there.

Was the car on the level when the oil was extracted? Obviously the oil will run to low point of the sump when the pavement is not level.

I warm the car to operating temperature and raise the hood. I remove the oil cap and the oil filter. I start the extraction. When it sucks air I remove the Mityvac and wet the lips of the filter and install it.

I pour in 4 1/2 guarts of Mobil 1 0W-40 and start the engine for one minute. I check for leaks and measure the level with an ECS dipstick. I drive a few miles to warm the oil. I then add the additional 1/2 quart if indicated. It always is. Do not over fill. Catalytic converters are expensive. Never put any additives in the engine oil. The only thing they can do is dilute the additive package in the engine oil. The synthetic VW 505.00 oil will give all the protection you need.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moviela
Extraction requires the oil to be at operating temperature when the Mityvac is used.

Did you change the oil filter? 1/2 quart can hide in there.

Was the car on the level when the oil was extracted? Obviously the oil will run to low point of the sump when the pavement is not level.

I warm the car to operating temperature and raise the hood. I remove the oil cap and the oil filter. I start the extraction. When it sucks air I remove the Mityvac and wet the lips of the filter and install it.

I pour in 4 1/2 guarts of Mobil 1 0W-40 and start the engine for one minute. I check for leaks and measure the level with an ECS dipstick. I drive a few miles to warm the oil. I then add the additional 1/2 quart if indicated. It always is. Do not over fill. Catalytic converters are expensive. Never put any additives in the engine oil. The only thing they can do is dilute the additive package in the engine oil. The synthetic VW 505.00 oil will give all the protection you need.

I tried it cold at firs,t and it sucked. So i ran the car about 6-7 minutes and did it, and it worked better.

MMI reported oil was fine.. but like 30% of the Oil level screen. So I'll let that run down a bit and add a full quart soon.

My oil filter is on the top front of the engine, next to the radiator fan. It drains back down into the engine/oil pan. So it shouldn't hide any oil from me.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ports
I tried it cold at firs,t and it sucked. So i ran the car about 6-7 minutes and did it, and it worked better.
The oil needs to be around 90 - 100F for a good extraction that doesn't collapse the tubing.

You can get a real-time reading from the MMI by having the hood open and the key switched to ON, engine NOT running. Gradually top off the oil 'til full.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ports

My oil filter is on the top front of the engine, next to the radiator fan. It drains back down into the engine/oil pan. So it shouldn't hide any oil from me.
All CAEB engines have a spin on oil filter located on the top front of the engine.

The filter has a one way valve to prevent the oil draining back into the engine. This is so at start up the pump does not need to fill the filter prior to lubricating the engine. That is why I say it hides in there.

Your MMI reading shows about half a quart low. Put a half quart in now. The oil is not only for lubrication, but for cooling the turbo bearing. It is not a good practice to run the sump less than full because it cannot sink as much heat with less oil.