S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Are TSBs and updates a mandatory fix? S.A. says no.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are TSBs and updates a mandatory fix? S.A. says no.

I dropped off my S6 yesterday for the fuel line recall, lowering 15mm, and these updates/TSBs.

•19J1 Update (thermostat, grill, etc.)
•48K8 Update (Power Steering)
•TSB 2035049/1 (addressing clunky downshifts in 'S' mode)

SA claims I have to have a complaint in order for TSBs to be performed. Sounds like horse****. He claims the system doesn't show anything for the 19J1 grill screen. I told him my steering feels strange to get 48K8 performed and that the car has horrible downshifts into 2nd gear (which no one in the world will disagree about) to have TSB 2035049/1 performed.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Here's my understanding: TSBs in general are not required or eligible for dealer reimbursement under warranty unless they are (1) authorized "universally" by Audi as a result of a design or part deficiency campaign update/repair or (2) as a result of an individual customer issue that the TSB is known to correct. The former would be performed automatically on all affected vehicles at the next service visit or as possibly as a recall if safety related. The latter would only be performed if it addressed a specific customer complaint. In all cases, the vehicle's VIN must be identified as eligible.

Regarding the 48K8 steering update, it is a universal software update that should be done automatically under warranty (unless the customer refuses it). Over 160K Audi vehicles world-wide are affected so most, if not all, Audi VINs with electric steering are included. The recent MMI 0715-2 software update falls into the same category for all C7 Audis with earlier versions.

As far as I know, the transmission software TSB you mentioned would fall under the individual customer issue requirement and not universally or automatically performed. (I'm not certain about the 19J1 update). Again, VIN inclusion in each of these would be necessary.

If a service advisor refuses to approve a universal repair or update, speaking to the service manager or contacting AOA should be the next steps.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info and advice. My understanding was that 19J1 included screens designed to protect the intercoolers from road debris damage. In this regard, my dealer explained that they were calling in all of their S6 customers for 19J1 work. I have no wisdom on whether this means it was required of them or they are just more aggressive than some dealers.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S6Express
I dropped off my S6 yesterday for the fuel line recall, lowering 15mm, and these updates/TSBs.

•19J1 Update (thermostat, grill, etc.)
•48K8 Update (Power Steering)
•TSB 2035049/1 (addressing clunky downshifts in 'S' mode)

SA claims I have to have a complaint in order for TSBs to be performed. Sounds like horse****. He claims the system doesn't show anything for the 19J1 grill screen. I told him my steering feels strange to get 48K8 performed and that the car has horrible downshifts into 2nd gear (which no one in the world will disagree about) to have TSB 2035049/1 performed.
I opted out of every tsb so that my software was not changed, this is a common activity.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sciblades
I opted out of every tsb so that my software was not changed, this is a common activity.
The only potential downside to refusing an update or TSB would be if there was a problem later with an affected component. Audi asks dealers to notate in the service record if a required update or TSB is refused by the customer which might indicate a possible warranty issue later if the refusal would be determined to be attributable to the problem. Unlikely perhaps, but you never know. It would probably depend on the particular TSB or update.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven

If a service advisor refuses to approve a universal repair or update, speaking to the service manager or contacting AOA should be the next steps.
So do I need to supply proof? I was figuring I needed to record my car doing it. My car was just in for the 5K service/fuel line recall and I had requested various of the updates. They refused to do the transmission update because they said they couldn't reproduce the harsh down shifts. They also said there were not squeaky of the steering column so they did nothing with that. In my case it wasn't the SA who said no, but rather the tech who said there was nothing wrong.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
So do I need to supply proof? I was figuring I needed to record my car doing it. My car was just in for the 5K service/fuel line recall and I had requested various of the updates. They refused to do the transmission update because they said they couldn't reproduce the harsh down shifts. They also said there were not squeaky of the steering column so they did nothing with that. In my case it wasn't the SA who said no, but rather the tech who said there was nothing wrong.
I've been there - sometimes an intermittent problem hides it's ugly head as soon as you pull into the service dept. In most cases, Audi will not approve a fix under warranty and reimburse a dealer unless the problem can be observed. If the issues you mention are always present, ask for a tech to take a ride with you so you can demonstrate the problems. Also, have a face to face conversation with the service manager. I've found that being calm and reasonable will help develop a good relationship which in the long run makes things like this much easier.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
I would speak to the service manager or go to another dealer. The downshift issue should be applied to anyone who asks for it in my opinion....it's a known issue and easy to reproduce. You can also call Audi corporate directly and bring this to their attention.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No problems here

I provided my dealer with the update designations and he didn't even ask what the problem was. I don't think he road tested the car beforehand. He just did it and I am very happy with the results on downshifting. I am guessing that the larger dealerships may have encountered this several times.