Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Check engine light and emission testing (in Illinois)

Old 12-18-2013, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check engine light and emission testing (in Illinois)

This may be a very pedestrian question but I don't know where to go for good advice. So, here it goes: "check engine" light is on. A check of the code was not conclusive to the origin but was suggested it could have something to do with leaky gasket(s). When taking the car in for emission testing it fails due to the check engine light being illuminated. They don't seem to care if the cars emission is within tolerances or not as long as that light is on your car fails.

So, my question is this: without spending a ton of money to chase the problem down is there a way to get the check engine light to stay off (yes, I have had it cleared only for it to come back on while driving back from the shop) so that I can get emission test done? Any and all constructive comments welcome and thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DoubleA4
This may be a very pedestrian question but I don't know where to go for good advice. So, here it goes: "check engine" light is on. A check of the code was not conclusive to the origin but was suggested it could have something to do with leaky gasket(s). When taking the car in for emission testing it fails due to the check engine light being illuminated. They don't seem to care if the cars emission is within tolerances or not as long as that light is on your car fails.

So, my question is this: without spending a ton of money to chase the problem down is there a way to get the check engine light to stay off (yes, I have had it cleared only for it to come back on while driving back from the shop) so that I can get emission test done? Any and all constructive comments welcome and thanks in advance.
There are several hundred codes. Which one is triggered in your case? Post the code number.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are you located? Maybe someone here can scan for codes free. In most cases the check engine light comes on because of emission related issues: oxygen sensors, leaks in the exhaust system(aka holes), leaks in the vacuum hoses, SAI pump, bad MAF, car running too rich or too lean, etc. But even the automatic tranny can cause a check engine light, or a bad brake booster. But no leaky gaskets would cause a check engine light
It's easier to pin point if you have the exact code.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by indoor
Where are you located? Maybe someone here can scan for codes free. In most cases the check engine light comes on because of emission related issues: oxygen sensors, leaks in the exhaust system(aka holes), leaks in the vacuum hoses, SAI pump, bad MAF, car running too rich or too lean, etc. But even the automatic tranny can cause a check engine light, or a bad brake booster. But no leaky gaskets would cause a check engine light
It's easier to pin point if you have the exact code.
I'm on the Northside of Chicago. Near 90/94. Where are you located? My most recent work was at CPT.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't really help w/o the code(s) man.

www.Ross-Tech.com a super investment for the Audi/VW owner.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by all(over)road
Can't really help w/o the code(s) man.

www.Ross-Tech.com a super investment for the Audi/VW owner.
I'm working on it. Seems obvious. I did a head-slap after the first post. DOH! I'll get it and post as soon as I have it. Thanks for your patience and help.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:55 PM
W12 Aficionado

Received 591 Likes on 397 Posts

I'm in the West burbs with vcds if you need codes pulled.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default OBDII

A cheap $50 OBD2 will pull *most* of the codes, as mine does. The Audi specific codes go above 1000 on my reader anyway. It will also clear the codes.

One thing, you really do need to find an indie tech who knows their way around one of these.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My $50 reader pulls most of the codes. Audi specific codes go above #1000 and arent in the book. However, even the cheapo $50 clear the codes.

Most importantly, you really do need to find an indie tech who knows their way around one of these. You might make that your mission tomorrow!
Old 12-29-2013, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I PM'd you a week ago. If you're willing to drive to Wheeling, let me know.