A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2000 A6 interior lights stay on? dash show doors open

Old 11-19-2013, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 A6 interior lights stay on? dash show doors open

I have a 2000 A6 with a interior light issue. the drivers door seems to work properly, but on the dash it shows the other 3 doors always open,and interior light on, until you start the car then it goes out. if you hit the brakes the lights comes on again.... it doesn't matter if all doors are open or not. dash shows 3 always open. i have no codes in the conv module or instruments.
any ideas here?

I find it very hard to believe there are 3 bad door switches and of course that would not explain why do the interior lights and instrument display light up when you hit the brake...
Old 11-19-2013, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your convenience module got wet at all?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did not remove the module, but the carpets are dry, and it has no codes, I can access it with Vag, so I assume it's ok. and the brake lights shouldn't tie into it, so i am thinking grounds or crossed wires someplace, but where??
Old 11-19-2013, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I would check the wiring in the rubber boot between te door and the frame of the car. Wire insulation can get brittle and crack. Start with the driver's door.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

module dry and good, even swapped with another with same results. also the floor was totally dry and no signs of corrosion on any of the wiring under the drivers carpet, ( I have seen many times the crimp connections corrode and loose connection)

Door wiring all seems good?????
any other thoughts?

I did replace the trans module under the Pass carpet last year do to water damage,but I am not aware of any wiring issues on that side of the car
Old 12-03-2013, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

still stumped on this one, wiring under pass carpets also seems good, coudn't find any bad crimp connections,

with the car running and in D, the lights will come on and off as does the dash display showing doors open. for the 3 pass doors.

drivers door display works, open drivers door and it shows on display properly.

the other 3 show up on their own, and continue to come on and off.....
if you open any of the other 3 doors it shows all 3 doors open. and the lights may stay off for a minute or so then come back on on their own or if you open any of the 3 doors???????

does the same thing with a new module????
Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

I would suggest replacing one of the three door lock actuators (with the switch) and see if that solves it for that door. If that works, then replacing the other two might be indicated.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Why not use VAG-COM measuring blocks to do some further diagnosis? There is a lot more to VAG-COM than the ability to pull codes. You should be able to see exactly what signal the control unit is receiving from each latch switch.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Why not use VAG-COM measuring blocks to do some further diagnosis? There is a lot more to VAG-COM than the ability to pull codes. You should be able to see exactly what signal the control unit is receiving from each latch switch.
I second this! The fact that all 3 doors are doing this tells me it's not a simple door switch in every passenger door. The only way forward at this point is to use VCDS to scan the module and test the output of each door sensor.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

each door switch is working correctly except one rear door, all locks are fine. i did not pay much attention to readings when it goes crazy, i don't remember what Vag showing anything and even with all door wiring unplugged at the door jams same result on dash, I even went as far back as the plugs further down the harness at the kick panels. with them all unplugged the lights come on and off on their own.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 A6 interior lights stay on? dash show doors open