A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi B5 1.8t High idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi B5 1.8t High idle

Hello,
This is the problem:
When I start my car it will idle normally for about 5 minutes then the rpms will slowly rise until 1800ish and the drop to 1000. but the strange thing is it is very inconsistent, sometimes it will just hover around 1000 and not change. Now this may or may not have anything to do with it but i cleaned the throttle body because it was idling low. it fixed that problem now its idling high. I did notice that when i pulled off my air hose to the throttle body it had alot of oil (coming from the air cooler on the bottom of the car) i assume this is because the last guy that changed my oil overfilled it by a half quart.
This is what I have done:
-Throttle body adaption (VAGCOM)
-replaced throttle body gasket (twice to be sure)
-cleaned MAF
-checked all vacuum lines with starting fluid
-checked evap valve thing that clicks ontop of the airbox (forgot the name)
-replaced thermostat
-replaced coolant temp sensor
This is where I am at:
all of the things listed above have greatly improved my mileage, before i had heat but no temp gauge so thats why I replaced that. now my temp gauge reads. I have no codes. my car has 120k and was redone at 100k. I have no performance mods. I noticed that my voltage is about 14v but when i turn the A/C on and headlights It drops to about 12v. I also noticed that when I take the gas cap off after a long drive there is a large pressure release.
My question is:
What do I do now?
Old 04-14-2014, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Also I have cleaned the IAT sensor.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:20 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Pull some codes?
Old 04-15-2014, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Pull some codes?
There are none did a full scan with the vagcom and nothing.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check all the PCV plumbing under the intake. Theres a large black plastic pipe, a rubber 'T' and a PCV valve stuck in with a hose coming off. If you see oil and grease caked on all these parts replace all 3 peices. PCV valve is plastic and will break and cause a wide open vacuum leak and high idle also.

I have also seen throttle bodies fail and idle hunt like crazy, but its usually not temperature sensitive but resistances change with temp so why couldnt it. They sometimes never set codes either and adapt fine.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Check all the PCV plumbing under the intake. Theres a large black plastic pipe, a rubber 'T' and a PCV valve stuck in with a hose coming off. If you see oil and grease caked on all these parts replace all 3 peices. PCV valve is plastic and will break and cause a wide open vacuum leak and high idle also.

I have also seen throttle bodies fail and idle hunt like crazy, but its usually not temperature sensitive but resistances change with temp so why couldnt it. They sometimes never set codes either and adapt fine.
Thanks Prospeeder
I will check these later, do you have an image of this? maybe it would help.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Update

So I replaced the PCV check valve. noting changed I did how ever notice a new problem. When I pull off the oil cap while the car is running, there is a large amount of positive pressure. What can cause this? also I read that it would be a good idea to check the N75 valve. When I unplug the valve(the wire plug) and drive it, it makes no difference in the car. What should I do next?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So here is an update. after checking for vacuum leaks, I found that I had a bad diverter valve. I replaced the valve with an upgraded version and she runs like new.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Either the PCV system is plugged, or you have a lot of blow by. Hope for the first, the second is an engine rebuild.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:32 AM
Flugeschlagen

Default pressure

Originally Posted by daysls
So I replaced the PCV check valve. noting changed I did how ever notice a new problem. When I pull off the oil cap while the car is running, there is a large amount of positive pressure. What can cause this? also I read that it would be a good idea to check the N75 valve. When I unplug the valve(the wire plug) and drive it, it makes no difference in the car. What should I do next?
Did you ever figure out the positive pressure issue? I have the same issues.

Quick Reply: Audi B5 1.8t High idle