Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Another S4 vs A6 thread.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You left a few things out...

Manuals offer all the control.
Manuals have all the fun.
Manuals are a better theft deterrent these days.

I don't really need 5-4 gear change blips and launch control. Just give me a manual like "the good old days" and I'll carve up a mountain road and have more fun in the process.

Higher resale value? Not exactly. If I'm ever in the market for the V8 S5, I'm going to overlook the automatics and head straight for the manuals.

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Just know that people who bought the twin clutch are gonna be quicker than you, get better economy than you, have a higher resale value than you, have an easier time selling than you, and have a better drivers car than you.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:02 AM
Banned

I'd also like to add that I owned a MANUAL Jetta TDI. Yes. A manual diesel. The oddest combination ever. And I loved it. And it was more efficient than the DSG option. Why? Because I could keep it in 6th gear and pass without a gear change. I had full control over when I wanted a gear change... hill crests, cornering, etc - no surprises. I could be aggressive one minute and cool the next. It was entirely up to me.

Now I'm in the A6 TDI with the ZF8. So far, the ZF8 is rather telepathic. It knows exactly WHEN to change gears and does so in imperceptible ways. I can only fault it so far for iffy off the line rolling starts. My toe-in technique is not quite right, so it goes from 1-2-3-2-3 if I dip in quickly and feather. It prefers a flat foot. At least it's not adaptive crap like the 7G Mercedes transmissions, which are utter crap.

If I had a choice, I'd still opt for a manual, but it doesn't exist in the US. However, in terms of a car that's my daily driver and will be driven across the country several times a year, the ZF8 is perfectly fine.

You cannot go wrong with an A6 and ZF8. Just stay away from the FWD CVT.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I am pleased to read your comments on the 2.0. I have a 2013 A6 P+ with the 2.0 and Quattro and love it. I got this car after two years of a 2010 A6 P+ with the supercharged 3.0 and find the 2.0 very well suited to this car - maybe the 8-speed Tiptronic has a lot to do with it. At times I am surprised at how smoothly and seamlessly it steps out – really! Yet, when I post here about it or talk to others I meet they scoff and can’t believe a four cylinder makes any sense in a big car like the A6. I have a couple of friends with C7 A6’s with the 3.0 6 and their cars do not feel as nimble as mine with the 2.0 – another thing I like about the 2.0 version.
I couldn't agree more!!!! Don't worry! I got your back!!
Old 01-23-2014, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Was it the AMG dudes a while back who, when asked why they don't put manuals in their cars responded "why, when the automatic does everything better!?" I've had a manual in every car I've owned since 1995 until November '13 when I stepped into my current A6. Thought I'd miss it more. But with no appreciable loss in acceleration performance (if any at all), much more comfort driving in DC traffic, and frankly no more concerns about launching the car and worrying about the clutch slipping...don't see myself going out of my way to get another manual any time soon. The only concern I'd have is with the fancier autos that require expensive regular servicing.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by feralc
Sorry to point the obvious but if you have hated manuals for a while is because you don't know how to drive them,
I can drive them just fine. I've driven many manual equipped cars since then including all generations of the Viper, multiple Z06s and ZR1s and others. I just don't like it.

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Was it the AMG dudes a while back who, when asked why they don't put manuals in their cars responded "why, when the automatic does everything better!?"
AMG said it, somebody at Ferrari said it (I believe Montezemolo) and more recently the techs at BMW M have said it. The US is the only market in the world where you can get a manual in the M5 (and last generation M6), and that was only because people whined like little bitches over the old SMG. Everywhere else is twin clutch only.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I am 71 and have had various combinations of stick, automatics, twin clutches, manumatics – whatever - over the years in all makes and models of cars. To me this issue is kind of like arguing over cooking from scratch vs. eating out or getting takeout every day. Some folks enjoy the process, others not so much; I think there is room for both. That being said, the future seems to favor automatics and more nanny devices installed on the few stick shifts still being produced. Years ago you could leave a stick in first gear and floor it until the engine blew up. I am not sure that is the case today – anyone know (it has been years since I drove a stick)? For me driving in traffic is the biggest reason I like an automatic these days.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:24 AM
Banned

Everywhere else is twin clutch only.
The new z06 automatic is not dual clutch, nor the RS6/RS7, I am sure if I dig more I will find others
I like dual clutch transmission but manual is more involving, heel toe, less forgiving if you miss a shift (doesn't shift by itself regardless of the situation)
I am a member of ferrarichat too because I had one and I am looking to get another and models like 355/360 and 575 with manual transmission, they are rare and extremely coveted.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by feralc
The new z06 automatic is not dual clutch, nor the RS6/RS7, I am sure if I dig more I will find others
I like dual clutch transmission but manual is more involving, heel toe, less forgiving if you miss a shift (doesn't shift by itself regardless of the situation)
I am a member of ferrarichat too because I had one and I am looking to get another and models like 355/360 and 575 with manual transmission, they are rare and extremely coveted.
Who said it was twin clutch? I said in the rest of the world the M5 is dual clutch.

GM is claiming their new 8 speed automatic will out shift Porsches PDK, so I hardly think it being a slushbox is a problem. It'll probably out run the manual stock, and if you swap the converter with a high stall it'll make the manual look foolish. That seems to be the way it goes with GM and Mopar.

Those Ferraris are rare because nobody wanted them. The people who could afford the cars new knew that they were no good, which was why they bought the "F1" boxes.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:25 AM
Banned

Those Ferraris are rare because nobody wanted them. The people who could afford the cars new knew that they were no good, which was why they bought the "F1" boxes.
You are wrong they are rare not because nobody wanted them but because Ferrari decided to push forward the new F1 boxes and the supply of manuals were less vs the F1 and also everybody wanted to drive like Schumacher.
And now everybody wants those Ferrari models in manual because 1 it is a better gearbox with less electronics and components that will eventually fail and 2 because they are more difficult to find.
So if this story repeats again the scarce manuals you can find right now will eventually be more collectible (and I am not talking about an A6/A7 but a real sports cars)
A friend of mine has a 535 manual (only one I have ever seen) he saw it in a showroom and got it. The car is a lease, BMW has called him twice offering him a newer automatic at no cost if he wants to return his manual because a couple of clients were offering more money to get a manual.
Hard to believe? Maybe but supply-demand. The rarer the "obsolete as you call" manuals become the chances they will hold its value more or might become classics.

Last edited by feralc; 01-23-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Weird conversation and a little annoying.

Many (most?) people who get manuals choose them because for them they are more fun to drive. More fun to drive is a bigger priority to them then edge case performance numbers.

Why should that totally reasonable choice be disparaged more then any other choice, like whether to get a 2 door or a 4 door.

Also we are all standing on unstable ground. In 20 years most cars could be self driving. Look forward to nearly identical conversations with some people claiming they prefer driving there own cars most of the time with others pointing out that such as desire is stupid because it was extra work, less efficient, etc.

We all bought these cars for fun, at least a little. Different people find different things fun.

Quick Reply: Another S4 vs A6 thread.