Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Seat leather stretching after 2 weeks?

Old 01-09-2014, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat leather stretching after 2 weeks?

Hi there, got a Prestige 2 weeks ago (great year-end deal) and noticed after a couple days the leather on the seat cushion was stretching and showing wrinkles. Took it to the dealer today who says they've gotten other complaints about the perf leather stretching, but mine is the lowest use that they've seen.

Audi's reply to the complaints is that it's "normal wear and tear."

Anybody else with this experience? Dealer says bring it back if it continues to get worse, but so far Audi is not doing anything.

One other thing. I went for brown leather and noticed that the seats don't match the doors. Color and texture different leather.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Street
Hi there, got a Prestige 2 weeks ago (great year-end deal) and noticed after a couple days the leather on the seat cushion was stretching and showing wrinkles. Took it to the dealer today who says they've gotten other complaints about the perf leather stretching, but mine is the lowest use that they've seen.

Audi's reply to the complaints is that it's "normal wear and tear."

Anybody else with this experience? Dealer says bring it back if it continues to get worse, but so far Audi is not doing anything.

One other thing. I went for brown leather and noticed that the seats don't match the doors. Color and texture different leather.
What is the color of the leather on door panels?
Old 01-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post photos? That would really help.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pictures please...

Originally Posted by in2dwww
Can you post photos? That would really help.
pics will help lots; thanks!
Old 01-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got brown leather and they stretch a bit. Mine is 3 months old.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Banned

While we wait for pics, this might provide some insight into Audi leather:
Old 01-09-2014, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice Video, Thanks for sharing. I have my car for exactly a week - 900km, and I have not noticed anything in terms of quality of leather or defects. Temperatures outside range from -20C to -5C.

Good luck with getting it repaired. I would press Audi very hard if my car showed defects in the first two weeks. As someone has said it before, pictures would be great.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Two things:
1) The OP said he has a Prestige with perforated leather seats. Do folks think this problem is limited to the perforated leather seats or should those of us with the base seats (I have a Premium Plus) worry about our seats?
2) It may be different with a Prestige, or perhaps a special package the OP has, but it has long been my understanding the A6 does not have either full leather seats or a full leather interior. I believe on the P+ like I have the material around the seat bottom sides (and elsewhere) is some kind of imitation leather (vinyl?). Likewise the door panels and armrest cover.
Oh yeah, a third thing:
I had a 2010 A6 P+ and the leather on that car was wrinkling, bunching and looking like crap within a few hundred miles and I am not that big (6’2” 204 lbs.) that I would beat the crap out of the seats that quickly. The dealer did arrange for Audi to provide new seat covers and I insisted the dealer not use their own staff to install them, but to go to a reputable custom upholstery shop I recommended. The Audi dealer agreed, liked the work the shop did and now outsource all their upholstery/interior work to that shop.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have 4000 miles and seats look good as new. I have owned a few cars in the past where the leather wore pre-maturely and one was a Camry that Toyota fought, but finally gave in on, and the other was an Acura TL that dealer swapped them out and the upholstery shop added some support to prevent the leather from wrinkling again, both tie the fix was good long term.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:20 AM
Banned

Leather is a tricky subject. Especially in the detailing business. There are hundreds of leather products out there and I have a few of them. Do they work? Yes and no. They each do their own thing.

Leather will stretch and it will shrink. It is possible that the OP's seats were not manufactured correctly and a heat gun will correct it. Or it could be that the leather really did stretch.

Leather Masters makes a product called "Leather Vital" that is brilliant at restoring suppleness to the leather. Just for kicks, I went to the Boxmark website to find out how they think their leather should be maintained. It appears that their products are identical to Leather Masters.

OP, please post pics. Stretching on perforated seats is possible, but how bad is it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seat leather stretching after 2 weeks?