Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Intro! From E90 M3 to SQ5? wtf

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Garissimo
I'm also in an E90 M3.. can you give brief impressions of how much of a dropoff you feel in handling, acceleration and maneuverability? How much bigger does the SQ5 feel?

I'm also willing to bet your gas mileage improves. I'm all too familiar with the M3's "drinking problem".
I had an E92 M3 (2008) as a daily driver, and while it can obviously out-handle and out-corner my SQ5, as a daily driver, I actually find the SQ5 more fun to drive. On public roads, even my spirited driving style don't exploit any of the SQ5's shortcomings in the handling department, but its advantages over an M3 do really shine: low end torque, good compromise of handling and ride, comfort, fuel mileage, elevated visibility (good for Chicago traffic). In real-world driving (highway passing, squinting in and around traffic, stop-and-go, etc) the SQ5's low end torque actually makes it feel faster. Although the M3 is ultimately a much faster car, it's not as obvious outside a track day or the occasional launch onto a highway on-ramp.

Congrats on the SQ5, OP!
Old 12-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Beautiful SQ5, I love the carbon atlas trim!
Congrats, and expect a lot of thumbs up.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm also in an E90 M3.. can you give brief impressions of how much of a dropoff you feel in handling, acceleration and maneuverability? How much bigger does the SQ5 feel?

I'm also willing to bet your gas mileage improves. I'm all too familiar with the M3's "drinking problem".
0-80 or so doesn't feel much different in straight line and 0-40 feels faster in SQ5. Above 75 though and the M3 is clearly faster. The SQ5 is large compared to the E90, that is for sure but it does shrink some at speed. It certainly feels bigger when maneuvering around tight spaces in town. I haven't had much time to really throw it around corners but so far it's quite fun and the performance is much more usable day to day. If you have a reason to have AWD and ground clearance then SQ5 is your answer unless you wait and pay more for a Macan.

My car is only 200 miles in, but according to the computer, MPG dropped significantly on highway above 70mph... to about 22. At 60mph it was registering 25-26. Not sure about in town yet. I expect only marginally better than my M3 overall but for a big heavy car like this with much worse drag coefficient, that's not bad.

There is almost no car in the under $80k price range that can compete with the E9x M3 for all out performance, luxury, and versatility *as a car* but as an SUV/CUV, the SQ5 is mighty impressive. You just have to decide if you want a car or SUV and if you need an SUV but have the dough, wait for a Macan. Otherwise SQ5 is killer.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Congratulations. I said it before and say it again. Nothing beats a black car for looks.

Bob
Old 12-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bob m
Congratulations. I said it before and say it again. Nothing beats a black car for looks.

Bob
I agree, the Scuba Blue will provide a little more color but the Panther Black Crystal is tough to beat.
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2013, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mhughett
I agree, the Scuba Blue will provide a little more color but the Panther Black Crystal is tough to beat.
I agree!! That's why I ordered one.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also have an E92 M3 and a SQ5 and find after 9500 kms of driving in the Audi that it gets virtually the same milege in daily use as my M3 but has more range thanks to to the larger fuel tank.To try to compare the 2 is pointless as they are such different vehicles and each serves a very different purpose in our household.I love the SQ5 as it is one of the best all round vehicle that we have owned but it is a sport -ute with strong bias towards sportiness but to compare it to one of the best sports sedans is ridiculous.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DNJ47
I also have an E92 M3 and a SQ5 and find after 9500 kms of driving in the Audi that it gets virtually the same milege in daily use as my M3 but has more range thanks to to the larger fuel tank.To try to compare the 2 is pointless as they are such different vehicles and each serves a very different purpose in our household.I love the SQ5 as it is one of the best all round vehicle that we have owned but it is a sport -ute with strong bias towards sportiness but to compare it to one of the best sports sedans is ridiculous.
Thanks for the replies guys. I do understand it's an apples to papayas comparison but I was trying to get a sense of how apparent the extra size and mass are when you swap seats between the two. As you say, you can't expect M3 grade dynamics in a crossover ute based on the Q5 platform.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Spectacular!! Congratulations, and enjoy!

Quick Reply: Intro! From E90 M3 to SQ5? wtf