Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 SQ5 Power Steering Software Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have the adjustable driving modes so I am have no concerns about that. I think the update made my Q5 SOOOO much better.

I liked the steering on my 2012 A5 better than on my 2014. I feel like the effort is greater at high speed and my hand gets tired.

I had an A7 for a short time. When the car was in Dynamic, it drove terribly.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my service guy check and he said there are no updates in the system for our SQ5 and that it was an update for older vehicles. I'd be curious what other SQ5 owners learn and whether the dealership pushed an update it wasn't supposed to for the OP's sitch
Old 11-12-2013, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Not possible to push an update...

Originally Posted by gtwagon941
I had my service guy check and he said there are no updates in the system for our SQ5 and that it was an update for older vehicles. I'd be curious what other SQ5 owners learn and whether the dealership pushed an update it wasn't supposed to for the OP's sitch

when you take your vehicle in for service, the tech connects your vehicle computer to Audi's main computer server. The VIN of your vehicle controls all needed updates which are downloaded automatically. If you don't want an update you definitely need to inform the service manager before they connect and download.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by gtwagon941
The upgrade applies to all vehicles manufactured before 07.2013, but not on all models

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...24&postcount=3
Old 11-14-2013, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They did not push the update, just said they were doing it along with an update for the intake manifold.

They didn't explain the consequences nor did I ask. I am now working to get the update reversed. My daughter has a VW Tiguan that has more feel in its steering!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by J Reacher
They did not push the update, just said they were doing it along with an update for the intake manifold.

They didn't explain the consequences nor did I ask. I am now working to get the update reversed. My daughter has a VW Tiguan that has more feel in its steering!
Far as I know the update reversed is not possible
Old 11-15-2013, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I am do for a 5k service next month and asked the Service Manager about the upgrade. He checked it by VIN - so it is not an across the board thing. He said this is a adjustment to prevent the very slight drifting when driving at highway speeds and will make the steering tighter and more responsive.
So, I' curious how we have different and totally opposite responses here on the results of the steering update.
But, I would say that after I get my update and the steering is less responsive, I'd be terribly disappointed - that's one of the reasons I gave up the Lexus RDX and jumped on the Q5 back in 09.

B
Old 11-15-2013, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
So, I' curious how we have different and totally opposite responses here on the results of the steering update.
This is the case reported across all the AW forums for those with electric steering. After the update, some have no problem with the somewhat decreased steering effort and some actually prefer it. Others, more sensitive to this, obviously do not. Prior to the update, some have reported varying degrees of steering issues such as unnerving "notchiness" and/or off center wandering while others have not observed any problems at all. Some reports indicate the issues occur only in colder temperatures. Those who have had problems are also more likely to embrace the fixes that the update provides.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
This is the case reported across all the AW forums for those with electric steering. After the update, some have no problem with the somewhat decreased steering effort and some actually prefer it. Others, more sensitive to this, obviously do not. Prior to the update, some have reported varying degrees of steering issues such as unnerving "notchiness" and/or off center wandering while others have not observed any problems at all. Some reports indicate the issues occur only in colder temperatures. Those who have had problems are also more likely to embrace the fixes that the update provides.
I'm with you on all of what you said. I have electric steering. My question is that some have reported that the post "fix" has lessened responsiveness, others that it has improved responsiveness.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have chosen to skip it on my SQ5. I like the steering as it is in dynamic; if anything it is is little soft compared to my 2012 3.2 Q5 with the hydraulic steering. I can't afford to lose any additional tightness... just would take away from the driving experience.

Quick Reply: 2014 SQ5 Power Steering Software Update