A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

02 - A6-3.0 Starting Issue - EPC

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean I would give further detail on what I am reading from this but this is just the OBD scanner that they had.

I wish I would know if the VAG COM system from Ross Tech was worth the $250

http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/m...ry_Code=VAGCOM

Or if I should go with something else....

Any suggestions on that would of course be awesome
Old 02-05-2011, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to that code your problem would be in this attachment right out of eBahn's DTC codes, but somehow this don't add-up with the ECP light on and the car runs? Sometimes.

I will include the G28 location test page too, this one is a little more interesting because the desciption of a failed sensor suggests that the car will not start at all.

This might be the problem and I might stand corrected vs. an ETC "electronic throttle control" issue posted before.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
A6C5 P0322.pdf (35.5 KB, 321 views)
A6C5 G28.pdf (103.2 KB, 261 views)
Old 02-06-2011, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

that is awesome jcman. I just checked and tried to find that connector. but was unable to.
For some reason the total amount of connectors in that area I only have 3, the picture shows 4. when I pulled the number 2 connector it had a plug fitting for 4 cross ports just like the second image.

This was found looking at the engine top left side near the intake.
Attached Images   
Old 02-06-2011, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Try here.

SirDude, your on the wrong side of the engine. Here are a couple of attachments with the sensor and connector locations.
Attached Files
A6C5 G28 Connector.pdf (156.3 KB, 303 views)
A6C5 SensorG28.pdf (128.6 KB, 278 views)
A6C5 Comp locations.pdf (111.2 KB, 308 views)

Last edited by jcman; 02-06-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

you are the man!! Ill get back to you and see if this will go anywhere
Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Electronic fault discussion aside, how old are the plugs? Clean your throttle body lately? Did you get new coil packs as per the recall? Fuel filter mileage? Clean MAF lately? Maybe one of the preceding mentioned is compounding your issues on cold starts?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by n3985
Electronic fault discussion aside, how old are the plugs? Clean your throttle body lately? Did you get new coil packs as per the recall? Fuel filter mileage? Clean MAF lately? Maybe one of the preceding mentioned is compounding your issues on cold starts?
MAF and Plugs get their replaced or cleaned as soon as the snow is gone.

The Coil pack was done per recall

As for the fuel filter that hasn't been done since I bought the car 2 years ago. I will get on that this afternoon.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Finally got the opportunity to record what's happening. Here is a video, don't think the sound will add much to the problem solving but who knows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21eO0_-pWvY
Old 02-07-2011, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

SirDude: I watched the video and saw the ECP on at 1,000rpm's, was your engine warm at that time?(seems a little high)
If you have a laptop you can buy a vagcom dongle from ECS Tuning for about40 bucks and just the software from Ross-Tech for 99 bucks "no hardware support" of course, I did with my two A6's and have had good use so far, vagcom will save you money if you take the time to learn how to use it.
Did you check the G28 sensor too?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
SirDude: I watched the video and saw the ECP on at 1,000rpm's, was your engine warm at that time?(seems a little high)
If you have a laptop you can buy a vagcom dongle from ECS Tuning for about40 bucks and just the software from Ross-Tech for 99 bucks "no hardware support" of course, I did with my two A6's and have had good use so far, vagcom will save you money if you take the time to learn how to use it.
Did you check the G28 sensor too?
The G28 sensor will be replaced this weekend I just got it in the mail. So we will see if that will fix it. Also grabbed a Fuel filter and will install that. MAF sensor was cleaned today. replaced the spark plugs and the air filter and cabin filter at the same time too.

So that should bring us to the next level and fix things hopefully.

As for the high RPM, the engine was cold, drove down the street after work (3min) to grab all the supplies from autozone and thats what happened when I tried to leave their lot. So I took the video.

as for the VACOM system I am hoping either one will work out, either just getting the software or getting the whole setup. gotta figure the laptop situation out first. only have a mac and they need a windows pc.

Quick Reply: 02 - A6-3.0 Starting Issue - EPC