S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Bad Engine Vibration

Old 04-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the insight Audimotion.

They are saying that they think it's the flexplate. I always thought that flexplates were only for automatics. Is there a flexplate on a manual? As well as a flywheel? Are the terms interchangeable?

I wonder if an aftermarket flywheel would affect the warranty for the rest of the car.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think you are OK warranty wise. I have read on other forums where the dealer will install aftermarket parts (clutch/flywheel packages) and still carry warranty for the rest of the transmision. Maybe contact JHM motorsports via email and ask them...I'm sure they know the answer and maybe can shed some light on your issue.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just dropped them a line. Thanks for the advice.

So bummed about this though. I don't even push this car. I just got the thing a month ago!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My experience with the clutch/Tranny is very limited, but I have been told that if any repairs in that area need to be made, to just buy a clutch and also change out to a single mass flywheel?? The cost seems quite reasonable (esp when compared to OEM??)

Yes?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Still no word from the dealership on what's up yet.

The waiting was killing me so in the meantime, I called AOA to alert them that I might be calling and flipping out soon.

They were extremely interested in the choice of repairs the dealership has made so far. Wondering why the motor mounts were replaced and especially wondering why they are referring to the flywheel as a flexplate.

They called the service department yesterday to let them know that they would be watching how this unfolds...

Feeling good about that phone call. Lets see what happens...
Old 04-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

UPDATE

Heard from AOA today.

Very interesting stuff.

They sent an Audi field technician to examine the damage at the dealership.

Some time passed and then I was contacted again to let me know that they would be covering the cost of the full repair + parts as part of a one time "goodwill" repair.

I still don't know exactly what parts were broken besides the flywheel (which for some reason was being described by my dealership techs as a "flexplate"... That concerns me...)

They told me that it's over $2K in parts alone.

They said that they took into consideration that this was not my first manual transmission (I informed them that this was in fact my 12th) and not my first quattro Audi (it's my second).

Combined with the fact that I just got the car, and it's certified, they justified replacing what seems to be the entire clutch.

I'm extremely relieved.

Moral of the story.... Get AOA Consumer advocates involved right away when dealing with anything like this. I am convinced that this made all the difference.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

very nice! glad to hear it will work out.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SethS
... apparently they are dynamic? According the dealer, they say that the mounts can stiffen or soften depending on conditions. (Load, rpms, angle, etc). They think one or more of them might be stuck in full stiff mode.
Is this BS or not? It sounds like something the B8 might have with DRC, but a B7?
Old 08-28-2010, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Most likely the flywheel (This also covers how to diagnose it)

(The way to diagnose if its the flywheel is posted at the very bottom) The most likely reason for the vibration is from what I probably experienced. The bearing on the flywheel goes bad and the flywheel starts to vibrate, dont let it go to long because you will crack the bell housing needing it to be welded. There is another article on audizine that talks about this very same thing with people having to deal with Audi of America and the guys at JHM Motorsports thanks to these posts and the warnings from JHM my shop had a much easier time diagnosing the problem. After the flywheel vibrating in my 04 S4 my bell housing did crack because the flywheel did make contact with the bell housing. A very easy way to diagnose if its your flywheel/clutch........... press the clutch all the way to the floor so its fully engaged, then quick rev the engine up to near red line, if its the flywheel the car will lurch forward so make sure your ready to brake.

The after math.....
Name:  bellhousing.jpg
Views: 2009
Size:  40.0 KB
Name:  bellhousing2.jpg
Views: 1998
Size:  28.8 KB
Old 10-11-2010, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same issue....kinda

So I just read this...and I had the EXACT same issue......but....the vibration went away the next day and all is back to normal.....no check engine light...checked it with scanner and no codes all is clear......

Could it be mounts only?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad Engine Vibration