A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Solid to flip key

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid to flip key

Hi ! I have an A6. The only key i have is this:

Is it easy to transfer it to a flip key ?
And how can i find you if there was a remote key on my car originally ?
Is it easy to install a remote key module on the car if it is not ?
Old 04-06-2015, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Your car came with 2 key fobs when new. I was in your situation when I bought mine. I was lucky enough that one of the previous owner had written down the part number for the key fob in the owner's manual, so I know which key fob to buy. Mine was a 2001 with immo 2, so I used VAG Commander to get the 4 digit code, and used VAG COM to program the transponder key and the remote. The key fob is cheap on ebay. I bought 2 for $30, but learning how to program them was a PITA for me. If you have no idea which key fob is for your a6, you will need to buy the key fob from the dealer and pay them to program it for you. Mine quoted me $175 for the key and $100 for programing. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, so i cannot program it by myself by insert it into the ignition lock and do some special things ?

Its an 1998 model prodused late 1997
1.8T 150hp
Old 04-06-2015, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

And look up the right type of key by the vin number ?
Old 04-06-2015, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As mentioned but not explained, if your car had the RFID "Radio Frequency ID" chip you will have to have it programed to the IMMO at the dealership or use the method that elchinoloco described with retrieving the code.

I very sure your car came with a FOB to lock/unlock, in this case you will either need the original FOB (that you don't have) or use VCDS to clear and program the new FOB "just for these functions" not for the IMMO.

The three functions of the FOB are the cut blade, RFID chip, transmitter for the lock/unlock.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm a bit curious about this, too. In this users case, he clearly has one single key with the rfid chip, but no fob. If you already have it, or manage to retrieve the login pin to program new keys - would it be possible to program a new virgin fob + transponder - using only VCDS/Vag-Com, and the transponder-only key he already has?

Obviously, this is dependant on being able to source the right type of fob and transponder to be programmed.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default We need more info

Originally Posted by pr0xZen
I'm a bit curious about this, too. In this users case, he clearly has one single key with the rfid chip, but no fob. If you already have it, or manage to retrieve the login pin to program new keys - would it be possible to program a new virgin fob + transponder - using only VCDS/Vag-Com, and the transponder-only key he already has?

Obviously, this is dependant on being able to source the right type of fob and transponder to be programmed.
What is your description of transponder?

If he has VCDS "only" the FOB lock/unlock functions can be adapted by clearing and accepting the new one.
The RFID chip for the IMMO is a separate two-step procedure.

I can't tell you how many of these key FOB threads have been posted with so many misconceptions and misunderstandings about the three functions of the FOB.

Last edited by jcman; 04-08-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, this may be completely out of left field, but on the Jaguar forum that I frequent (that's my baby, the wife drives the A6), there have been people who have cut a straight key open, retrieve the transponder, and transfer the cut key and transponder into a flip key unit and then program the transmitter portion (which is easy on the Jag). Would this be an option? It sounds like the transmitter portion requires more difficult programming than the Jag, so this might not even be worthwhile. Just curious.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcman
What is your description of transponder?

If he has VCDS "only" the FOB lock/unlock functions can be adapted by clearing and accepting the new one.
The RFID chip for the IMMO is a separate two-step procedure.

I can't tell you how many of these key FOB threads have been posted with so many misconceptions and misunderstandings about the three functions of the FOB.
By transponder I meant the small RFID chip that goes with the immobilizer. If that can be coded by "us", or is this a dealership / specialized locksmith job only? And would a new RFID chip have to be "programmed" with the IMMO, or is cloning an existing, working RFID tag sufficient..?

Last edited by pr0xZen; 04-08-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It can be done by an end user, but you'll need a licensed VCDS and your gauge cluster login code.

Quick Reply: Solid to flip key