A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner pics, experience and comments 2007 A8L

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 03:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner pics, experience and comments 2007 A8L

So, here are the pics of my new (to me) A8L. I bought it with about 54900 miles from Palisades Audi.

I had thought I was getting an A8 in oyster gray, but it turned out to be Quartz. I couldn't tell from the pics but I like the medium gray that is quartz(a little miffed that I didn't find out about that till I went to pick it up!!!). It has the amaretto/black interior, Bang and Olufsen, Premium Pkg, wood/leather wheel, dual rear seat climate control, security glass, ski sack and satellite radio. It has the stock 18" five-star mags...something that MUST BE UPGRADED ASAP!!!

Edit: I do not think the power door assist works. I just close the door like a normal door. Is there something to turn on to activate it?

All in all, I love the car! My experience buying it was less than desirable as there were a few things that were damaged/broken and only found out when I was signing for the car after being dropped off 2hrs from home. LOL. The map-door on the driver's door is not retracting/staying in place, a ding on the right rear passenger door, a missing license plate receiver bolt in the decklid, and the fact that it wasn't OYSTER gray!!!

I'm in touch with the manager of Palisades Audi...he sounded concerned that this happened and how I was seemingly rushed the day I picked it up since it was closing time. I will update you all as to the progress with that.

I must say it is such a comfortable car. Coming from a BMW 3 series...one of my fave cars to drive....it is different, in a good way. No, its not the cornering beast that is my 3er, but it is so sure-footed and feels solid at all speeds. I've yet to test it's cornering ability in Dynamic mode. I will get into less trouble with the A8...I imagine I am driving it like I would a Rolls. LOL. The BMW seems to draw the animal out of you and mash the peddle and hit 90 deg turns at 50mph!!! This A8 will be bring out the more mature, patient and relaxed side of this 40 year old!

The Bang and Olufsen system is GREAT! Not $6300 great (that's it's cost as per window sticker), but an amazing system that is perfect for me! The tweeters popping up out of the dash is trick as are the aluminum speaker covers.

I am still figuring out the MMI and the logic of the control system. The BMW iDrive (current form) is quite intuitive and easier than this, but I'll learn.

I posted some pics and you'll see one of this device that is installed in my glovebox. It has a switch on it and controls the iPhone cord that is in the box. The cord runs into the back of the glovebox and connects somewhere hidden. Obviously this is not a stock AMI. When I hooked my wife's iPhone into it, it didn't charge until the switch was flipped. I have not had the opportunity to see if music streams from it via bluetooth as she doesn't have any music on it and I currently use a Samsung Note2. (any help on getting this connected would be appreciated!)

I appreciate the help i've received so far on this forum. I know i'm a newbie, but some of you have even communicated with me via private message and i am extremely grateful.

I would still love to hear feedback/advice on going with an extended warranty. I've been searching for posts, but I haven't found much at all...especially concerning the D3. I do some wrenching with my BMW motorcycle, but I am not nearly skilled enough or prepared to wrench my own A8 beyond simple maintenance items.

Again, thanks for being welcoming and helpful to me!
Attached Images      

Last edited by scottybooj; 02-11-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The picture of the Aux in box in your glove compartment looks similar to my Dension Gateway. If you go into your MMI and press CD and then changer in the top left hand corner. if it is a dension Gateway instead of having 6 cd loaded there will be some additional cd to select. it may say something like ipodgw and ipodui and usb etc.

Nice car by the way
Old 02-12-2014, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
The picture of the Aux in box in your glove compartment looks similar to my Dension Gateway. If you go into your MMI and press CD and then changer in the top left hand corner. if it is a dension Gateway instead of having 6 cd loaded there will be some additional cd to select. it may say something like ipodgw and ipodui and usb etc.

Nice car by the way

Thanks, i'll look into that! Does that enable bluetooth streaming or simply wired input? Any idea what those RCA jacks are for?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

My quick guess is that you can run a rca-1/8" headphone jack adapter wires out of it to your note 2 (for example). Perhaps the switch allows switching between the two inputs? I ended up buying a 6ft ami-1/8" jack for my note2. I ran the wire out the corner of the glovebox and lightly tucked it along the center console. The jack ends in the area under the armrests for easy access if I choose to use it.
The b/o system sounds fantastic btw! Don't be too alarmed if you get a rattle from the rear during certain low frequencies, might just be the rear shade ratrling about.
Good luck with the manager, hopefully you can iron out some issues that you have with the car.
As far as your inner animal, yes being a bit older and more mature will keep it subdued, but when it wants to play, you can still allow it to.
If you are ever up central CT way, I do have a vag-com, the wife's laptop has a crap battery though. But I'd gladly do a scan or help with some changes if you get up this way.
I have 20" wheels stock on my S8, I wouldn't suggest going bigger than that, but it is your car....
Old 02-12-2014, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

The inputs on my are for auxilary in but i also have 3.5mm in aswell.
The switch is just to turn it on or off as you said in your post the ipod does not charge if it is off. Also if you do a scan when it is on your scan will show a fault in the audio but that is only because it opens up the fibre optic loop I am told and changes the configuration. But if you turn it off there will be no faul;t codes in that area.
As regarding bluetooth streaming it would depend on which Dension you have (if it is a dension)I have the gateway 500 because I already had bluetooth for phone and did not need streaming. If you have the 500s it should stream everything

http://www.dension.com/car-multimedi...hone-usb-auxin

Old 02-12-2014, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thats a real nice ride you have there. The color is great for New Yorks weather. Your interior looks super clean. just a question when you bought the car you did it over the phone. i would have went to see it and check it all out during the day time to notice all the things i didn't like. Heres my car black on peanut butter got rid of the fat fives and threw on some 19" S4 peelers having fun in the snow .

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  82.4 KB

Last edited by NYCA8L; 02-12-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NYCA8L
Thats a real nice ride you have there. The color is great for New Yorks weather. Your interior looks super clean. just a question when you bought the car you did it over the phone. i would have went to see it and check it all out during the day time to notice all the things i didn't like. Heres my car black on peanut butter got rid of the fat fives and threw on some 19" S4 peelers having fun in the snow .
Thanks, your car looks great on those wheels. Awd is fun, right?

Having bought luxury marques before, theyve at least been upfront, expensive but up front. I went in a little too trustworthy it seems, but i did askquestions andwas basically lied too. I noticed the ding, but I had no clue about the soft touch doors or the map pocket till later. I made AudiUSA aware and they started a case because they felt at the very least, an audi dealer should be forthcoming and not deceitful. They told me they changed the brakes and tired and did a full inspection. ..it was at 54910 miles... But I just found out they never did the 55k!!! Are you kidding? At least tell me that!

As for the Denison, it seems you are right. When on, it shows that I have like a 15 cd changer with various options of which I have no clue. I'll check that link you left.

As for Bluetooth, I have Bluetooth connectivity for the phone through the audi system, will that work for music or must it go through the Denison? Also, to hook up your note, is that a standard rca cable or did you modify one?

Thanks wasserwerks, I may take you up on that. I can bring a laptop, no worries.

I'm with you too, bigger than 20s in my area is asking for suspension abuse and constant wheel damage. 19s may be the perfect balance, but 20s look sooooo good.

Scott
L.I., NY

Last edited by scottybooj; 02-13-2014 at 04:15 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Re blue tooth
It depends which dension you have. the 500 BT should show up as blue tooth or BT in one of the options on your list (I'm not sure as I don't have it). If you have that then you're good to go you'll just have to pair up your device and it should automatically connect when you are inb the car. The RCA are just normal. They are for if you want to add aftermarket DVD from rear if you fit them and want to play through your speakers in car for example. or if you had an mp3 player that was not an ipod or a laptop/tablet. I use it for my MPC drum machine so i can listen through the car when I'm making some beats and waiting for my daughter from school.Whatever has sound and has an RCA lead you can use. Look carefully around your car in the glove box or under the dash on both sides as there must be a USB connection mounted somewhere. I tend to use that more than my ipod now and have connected an external hardrive to it with folders for playlists.

It'sa great piece of kit
Old 02-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
Re blue tooth
It depends which dension you have. the 500 BT should show up as blue tooth or BT in one of the options on your list (I'm not sure as I don't have it). If you have that then you're good to go you'll just have to pair up your device and it should automatically connect when you are inb the car. The RCA are just normal. They are for if you want to add aftermarket DVD from rear if you fit them and want to play through your speakers in car for example. or if you had an mp3 player that was not an ipod or a laptop/tablet. I use it for my MPC drum machine so i can listen through the car when I'm making some beats and waiting for my daughter from school.Whatever has sound and has an RCA lead you can use. Look carefully around your car in the glove box or under the dash on both sides as there must be a USB connection mounted somewhere. I tend to use that more than my ipod now and have connected an external hardrive to it with folders for playlists.

It'sa great piece of kit
Thanks, I will look. Its obviously an older unit because the ones online look quite different, unless the little black box is not the guts of the unit.

Scott
L.I., NY
Old 02-14-2014, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Power door assist

Originally Posted by scottybooj
Edit: I do not think the power door assist works. I just close the door like a normal door. Is there something to turn on to activate it?
Door assist kicks in when you only half-close the door, pulling the car door fully closed so you don't have to open the door again and slam it to close it. Try gently pushing your door closed from the outside, stopping at the point when you hear the first click of the latch, and see if the car pulls the door all the way closed. That should tell you if it is working or not.

It's a nice feature when you get used to it, but causes frustration when others get in the car and slam their door shut

Quick Reply: New owner pics, experience and comments 2007 A8L