A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-07-2016, 03:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

2005 A6 3.2 FSI Timing Chain Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I replaced the passengers side upper tensioner and the noise was gone. Each of the upper upper tensioners has a hydraulic piston that tensions the chain. I decide to replace the drivers side for good measure and am almost done. I have to say the hydraulic piston in the tensioner appears to be the achilles heel of the assembly as everything else looks in good order. I've seen alot of posts saying the the only sensible course is a complete engine pull and replacement of all timing chains, tensioners, etc. I say it's complete Bull$#%t.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos and video. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found this TSB indicating the sound is normal for 1-2 seconds upon startup. What do you make of it?

http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Engine/Ra...ne%20start.pdf
Old 01-30-2014, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Luis A.
I just found this TSB indicating the sound is normal for 1-2 seconds upon startup. What do you make of it?

http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Engine/Ra...ne%20start.pdf
Yes, oil pressure has to build on cold-start for the tensioner piston to apply pressure on the chain. There's also some noise associated with the injectors. My 3.2 with 100k miles on it displayed the cold start symptoms and it did go away after a few min. But driving home one day, it made a very loud persistent clacking sound. Sounded like an old diesel rabbbit. I took a video of the engine running, you can definitely hear it while it was running at normal temps. I initially thought I might had a failed connecting rod. But when I got the car home and listened, I decided that a sudden failure like that was most likely the chain tensioner as it was loudest on the passengers side. I definitely did not drive the vehicle after that as you can easily throw the chain off timing and ruin the valves. I cringe when I see people revving the engine in hopes that the sound will simply go away. I wonder if the initial cold start sounds are a symptoms of the seals inside the tensioner piston wearing out and needing more time to fully extend. Ill film a cold start with the new tensioners installed so you can compare with your car.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newa6er
I have read that the only tensioner that you can change with the motor in the car is the upper L & R on the 3.2. The motor has to come out to do anything on the 4.2. You will need to buy or rent a locking tool to keep everything in place while swap out the tensioner. Good Luck.
Right on.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Luis A.
Hey, I think I have the same issue on my 2008 with 80k miles. Loud rattling that lasts around a second or two upon startup.

I did a lot of work on my '98 A6, including timing belt but have done nothing major on this one. I have VAGCOM and the audi online service manual but would still love to see how it went for you.
This sounds like the beginning of the end. Try to figure out which one of the four it is and act on it, don't wait until it gets worse. Wished I had known what it was for sure from the start when it happened to me.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jujuC6
Right on.
There is a small lower tensioner, and if that fails then you are out of luck, the engine has to come out. As I said initially, im prepared to do it if needed but it was not. I bought the entire engine timing tool set for $150 new off of ebay, as well as crank turning tool ($20) and 12point 14mm camshaft socket ($9).
Old 01-30-2014, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mkongsiri
There is a small lower tensioner, and if that fails then you are out of luck, the engine has to come out. As I said initially, im prepared to do it if needed but it was not. I bought the entire engine timing tool set for $150 new off of ebay, as well as crank turning tool ($20) and 12point 14mm camshaft socket ($9).
Nice, good luck with this. Most likely it is the upper ones as they are the more common. Here is my post on this when I did not know what the heck was going on.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2809217

Last edited by jujuC6; 01-30-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jujuC6
Nice, good luck with this. Most likely it is the upper ones as they are the more common. Here is my post on this when I did not know what the heck was going on.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2809217
Thanks. I finished tensioner installation already, and the engine runs beautifully. 4 hours total. I just have to put the bumper back on tomorrow as I also repaired a bad adaptive headlight and replaced serpentine belt and tensioner.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mkongsiri
Thanks. I finished tensioner installation already, and the engine runs beautifully. 4 hours total. I just have to put the bumper back on tomorrow as I also repaired a bad adaptive headlight and replaced serpentine belt and tensioner.
Great job, nice to hear it all went well. Now that u mentioned S.Belt and tensioner, I have the parts and still have not done it at 144k. Maybe I will get on it this weekend.

Quick Reply: 2005 A6 3.2 FSI Timing Chain Tensioner