A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Oil Pressure Warning--rattling noise from engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Warning--rattling noise from engine

It's been kinda cold the last couple days like around 10F and snowing. My car was parked outside on the driveway for 3 days. When I started my car yesterday I noticed unusual knocking/rattling noise from the engine. After I drove like 200 feet the OIL PRESSURE symbol came out. I pulled the car back to the driveway and turn off the car immediately ( DID NOT DRIVE THE CAR SINCE THEN) . Today I turned on the car twice and let it idle for 30 seconds the symbol did not come out but there's still rattling noise from the engine. I planned on getting it into the shop ASAP, but I'm hoping someone could point me in the direction of what it might be. THANKS!
Old 01-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2006 A4 2.0t with 99,000 miles and am having the same symptoms. The car is 'clattering' slightly at idle somewhat like a diesel. Brought it to my local shop and they pulled the high pressure fuel pump and discovered that the cam lobe 'follower', which is a little cap on the end of the pump piston which rides on the cam, had worn through. Rumor has it Audi has released an internal service bulletin for the 2.0 in this particular model year (possibly others) addressing the issue. Sounds like the root of the problem had to do with a specific parts mfg supplying cam's manufactured from steel that was out of spec for the fuel pump (too hard) follower which has led to the early failure. Ultimately what happens is once the cam follower burns through the end of the pump piston wears on the cam lobes. As the wear increases the piston is no longer actuating fully and therefore not capable of developing the correct pressure initially causing sketchy acceleration from low RPM ultimately leading to and MIL for low fuel pressure and potentially full cam failure and head damage. Pass it along, hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Grant Ruggles
As the wear increases the piston is no longer actuating fully and therefore not capable of developing the correct pressure initially causing sketchy acceleration from low RPM ultimately leading to and MIL for low fuel pressure and potentially full cam failure and head damage. Pass it along, hope this helps.

Is there an easy way to see the wear? I have on 06 and started with a Low Fuel Pressure lamp. Twice now I have seen a low oil pressure lamp for a brief period (20 sec or less). Now I have a new fuel pump to be installed but it seems my symptoms are more along the lines of what you describe with acceleration.