RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Tapping/Rattling noise over uneven pavement (low speed)

Old 02-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping/Rattling noise over uneven pavement (low speed)

Cannot seem to find the source of this noise, so thought I'd see if anyone else has solved it. First off, been reading post after post on rattles and gauge cluster noises. Interesting to see how many variations of this issue there are. My symptoms are pretty similar to some others out there, but no fix found yet. In short I'd describe the noise as a rapid tapping or maybe a rattle when driving over uneven pavement. Never happens on smooth roads. I think it only occurs at low speed, approx 15 mph. At least that's when I hear it. Usually starts after the first bigger bump in the road (like a thick expansion joint) and then continues off and on until back on smooth. Both turning or straight. Not horribly loud, but annoying for sure.

At this point I can't tell for sure where it is coming from. I initially thought maybe climate control or gauge cluster, but after reading a ton of posts about noises not actually being from the area you best hear them I am staying open minded. Possible it is mechanical, not a loose nut or panel. Haven't ruled out something to do with the DRC since it definitely has something to do with road condition. Hope not though.

One by one I have been working my way through the possible culprits, but no luck thus far. Here's what I have tried:

1. Remove gauge cluster (did not unplug), feel for anything loose, shake cluster, test drive. Nothing changed. In fact while the sound is audible in that area, it should have been louder with the cluster removed and it wasn't.

2. Remove fuse panel. Remove the sunroof tool (known to vibrate). No change.

3. Check all bolts, connections under steering wheel. All nice and tight.

4. Check glove box and ashtray for anything rattling around. Found nothing.

5. Add padding to all engine bay covers (carbon fiber and black). Found some that seemed loose, but rattle persists after tightening up and padding.

6. Took off cover to area directly in front of the windshield. Several posts mention this is a known area to cause noise and can often sound like it is behind the dash while actually in front of the dash. Everything seems nice and tight. Even tried padding between hood and outside plastic piece at the bottom of the windshield, but no change.

7. Tested with brakes applied and off. Noise happens in both cases.

8. Looked for heat shield that might be touching, rattling. Nothing visible.

9. Tested wipers for metal arm contact with windshield. Plenty of clearance.

These are all solutions found on the forum. So far no luck.

Thought I'd see if anyone else had a similar experience? May not be limited to B7 RS4 model (2008 and 50k in this case). This is my 5th Audi, and I am aware they all have the potential to rattle a little. Usually can find the problem though. This one is a mystery. As one other step I attempted to record the sound. Sort of rapid tapping sounds that comes and goes. Phone is next to the gauge cluster because from the driver seat that's where is seems the most audible. That probably is not actually where the noise is coming from, but worked to capture some mediocre audio.

Any help appreciated!
Old 02-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Edit to above

I also tried removing the dashboard end panels and testing for loose mounting bolts on either side. Nothing.

I am also able to hear the noise at higher speeds as well, just not as easily. Thought maybe it was low speed related, but seems it is just easier to hear at low speeds. Anyway, doesn't change anything, just adding to the thread in case this helps someone in the future.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most rattles are self inflicted - either something foreign to the car has been brought on board, or a previous disassembly/assembly went wrong. The audio track makes it sound like something of substantial weight in an enclosed space. To be honest, it almost sounds like a small metal flashlight rattling in the plastic seat-front storage drawer.

In cases like this, I have one of my kids crawl around the car while I drive on a safe, deserted bumpy road and have them pinpoint the general area of the sound.

Good luck! Rattles drive me batty!
Old 02-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good suggestion on having a passenger listen for the noise. Haven't done that yet. Maybe it will identify a new target location.

And at this point I'd be thrilled if it turned out to be something rolling around. Anything to put an end to the mystery.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went to my local Audi dealer today and had the shop foreman go for a ride with me. He confirmed the noise but could not figure out what it was. Thought it might be coming from in front of the dash between the engine and the windshield. None of the places I checked seemed to him to be likely causes (of course). He had the service dept schedule an appointment so they could do a thorough inspection. Hoping they can solve it. Almost 2 weeks out, but I'll report back in case there is a solve.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by karl_n
I went to my local Audi dealer today and had the shop foreman go for a ride with me. He confirmed the noise but could not figure out what it was. Thought it might be coming from in front of the dash between the engine and the windshield. None of the places I checked seemed to him to be likely causes (of course). He had the service dept schedule an appointment so they could do a thorough inspection. Hoping they can solve it. Almost 2 weeks out, but I'll report back in case there is a solve.
Great - hope you can post a solution
Old 02-26-2014, 12:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Mystery solved

Just got my car from the dealer minutes ago. 1 week in the shop. Turns out the problem was in the power steering rack. The noise I was hearing inside the cabin of the car was no doubt being transmitted up the column and becoming audible somewhere in the left dash area. Frustrating that I couldn't pinpoint it myself, but glad to be rid of such an annoying noise (and potential future problem). What's interesting to me is that the noise was so inconsistent. Not always on the same stretch of road and varied between sounding mechanical (like tiny plastic gears skipping almost) to a more metal vibration kind of sound. Anyway, glad they found it. All in with the front toe adjustment after install it came to just under $1000.

Hope this helps someone down the road!

Last edited by karl_n; 02-26-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats to your success. I know how annoying those rattles can be. Steering racks are not cheap as you found out.