Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear ended

rear ended by an old Volvo yesterday. Filing the claim through the other driver's insurance. Waiting for adjuster inspection. A certified audi collision center near me quoted the repair today to be around 1k.

My biggest hope is to get the rear bumper restore its original appearance. I guess there is not much I can do right now but any comments and suggestions are welcome!!

The collision center thought it was a brand new car before I let him know it is actually a 2012 and had 17k miles on it.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Hard to tell from the photos but I had almost the same damage to my rear bumper on my '09 A4. One place quoted me $1200 saying I needed a new bumper cover and the other two said no bumper cover needed, they would remove, repair, paint and reinstall for about $500-550. One of them was a shop owned by my Audi dealer's parent company. He showed me the bumper covers they were refinishing from a Mercedes, Porsche and an A8 that looked like new. If the underlying foam is not damaged, repair should be less than $1K.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:47 AM
Banned

Thats nothing. I got bumped by a Hyundai on the Staten Island Expy and it did almost the same damage. I didn't even bother swapping info. Its not worth paying the deductible for something so minor. Bottle of touch-up paint, bottle of Langka, and a few minutes labor and it'll be undetectable.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Picture from further out?
Old 12-27-2013, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by miwung
Picture from further out?

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Hard to tell from the photos but I had almost the same damage to my rear bumper on my '09 A4.
Originally Posted by Mike_L
Thats nothing. I got bumped by a Hyundai on the Staten Island Expy and it did almost the same damage.
Seems like the 4 rings get lots of dings, sigh... my quote includes filling the hole and repainting the whole bumper, hope it is more than enough restoring the appearance.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Thats nothing. I got bumped by a Hyundai on the Staten Island Expy and it did almost the same damage. I didn't even bother swapping info. Its not worth paying the deductible for something so minor. Bottle of touch-up paint, bottle of Langka, and a few minutes labor and it'll be undetectable.
Since the OP bothered to get the other driver's info, there should be no deductible or out of pocket for him since the other party's insurance is going to cover the repair. As it looks like a puncture, if he wants it to be done right to look like new, it should be removed, filled, sanded, repainted and reinstalled. No sense putting up with a band-aid if the other guy's insurance is going to pay.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Since the OP bothered to get the other driver's info, there should be no deductible or out of pocket for him since the other party's insurance is going to cover the repair. As it looks like a puncture, if he wants it to be done right to look like new, it should be removed, filled, sanded, repainted and reinstalled. No sense putting up with a band-aid if the other guy's insurance is going to pay.
Mike is a rich guy you must know that
Old 12-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by q5q7
Mike is a rich guy you must know that
Mike wishes he was a rich guy. He's actually a guy who knows he's gonna end up getting screwed over every time he calls insurance, so he'd rather just deal with stuff himself.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I would be careful of is if insurance is involved, or if there was a police report, this may wind up on Carfax and Autocheck. I wasn't aware of the damage this did until I went to sell an Acura last month. I had been backed into in NYC by a cabbie. PD made a report. When that showed up on Autocheck it dropped the value of the car by nearly 4k. Many states have rules in place to cover the value lost due to the vehicle having been in an accident. Make sure you get the other insurance company to compensate you for it.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NightCrawler
The only thing I would be careful of is if insurance is involved, or if there was a police report, this may wind up on Carfax and Autocheck. I wasn't aware of the damage this did until I went to sell an Acura last month. I had been backed into in NYC by a cabbie. PD made a report. When that showed up on Autocheck it dropped the value of the car by nearly 4k. Many states have rules in place to cover the value lost due to the vehicle having been in an accident. Make sure you get the other insurance company to compensate you for it.
And thats exactly HOW Mike would end up getting screwed over.

Quick Reply: rear ended