Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Steering Wheel locked while going 10mph

Old 12-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Wheel locked while going 10mph

My wife just called me all freaked out, she was pulling in the parking lot (90 degree right turn) and suddenly the wheel just locked without any warning on the dashboard or anything else. she had to shut the car off take out the key and restart it back on.

Have any of you heard of incidents like this?

Also she was saying that when she wanted to leave the parking lot the car did not move without touching the acceleration while in Drive and on a plain 0 degree angle road. Another weird thing was a vibration coming from the engine while this was happening.

The car is a 2011 Q7 3.0 TFSI with 19,800 miles on the dashboard.

When she got home 5 miles later, on my 5 degree steep driveway, the car was moving slowly without acceleration while in drive.

I'm planning of taking the car out for a torture drive tonight and see if it does anything similar.

What the hell is happening? Any advice/opinion?

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the Wife 1st
Old 12-14-2013, 04:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

@coupegt87 ) She knows what she is doing!

I have a scheduled service appointment for next week and we'll see if they have ever encountered anything like this.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You've scheduled your wife for service?

How does she feel about that, she may be a little concerned about being handed over to a bunch of mechanics!
Old 12-17-2013, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is not a laughing matter. let us know what you find. people get killed from this.

peter
Old 12-17-2013, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this sounds more like the engine stalled, so, with no power steering assistance, the steering would feel as dead as if the lock had been engaged, rather than the lock itself being faulty.

I was not making light of the potential problem, simply the choice of words.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Think your best bet is to contact AoA on this, they will probably have the car brought in for checks.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the car in to the stealership on Friday and they ran all the checks and could not find anything wrong with the car. They even tested the battery, because the steering is electronic they thought there may be something with the onboard computer. Everything came back normal!

Now that I think more about it, I forgot to tell them that during that period (a few days before) I had times when the audio was not working. I had to turn the car off to get the audio working in the car. Hmmmmm ... I wonder if that may be connected.

Again there were no error codes reported at all, so they are clueless.

To those of you who continue to insult my wife, she has a permit since 98 and she drove stick shift cars for a good 10 years. She even had an M3, so believe me when I say she knows what she is doing.

She freaked out because we have 2 small kids and I don't want to get this issue while me or my wife are doing 75mph on the highway.

Anyhow I will keep this thread updated in case that i find anything out or if i can reproduce it somehow.

In the meantime to all of you who posted constructive replies, I would like to thank you all.

P.S. Happy Holidays.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I have the same scary experience while I drove my Audi 2007 Q7 3.6 Premium last week. I have no ideas why it happened. Really want to know if anyone have the same situation and how you solve it. The Dealer in Mission Viejo, CA gave me a price of $3,500 + tax for fixing, but I am worry about that there might be any further trouble after fixing. I would appreciate your sharing in how you go through it.

Tina
Old 12-29-2013, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by george10462
Hi,
I have the same scary experience while I drove my Audi 2007 Q7 3.6 Premium last week. I have no ideas why it happened. Really want to know if anyone have the same situation and how you solve it. The Dealer in Mission Viejo, CA gave me a price of $3,500 + tax for fixing, but I am worry about that there might be any further trouble after fixing. I would appreciate your sharing in how you go through it.

Tina
$3500 to fix what? Did they actually tell you what the problem is, or what they planned to do to your vehicle?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Wheel locked while going 10mph