S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Photos of my new Black Optic S6 grill

Old 09-08-2013, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CreoS4
If everything goes back in the same place, is the recalibration actually necessay? Is the dealer the one who told you it needs to be done?
They claimed it did. They indicated the surround camera, front facing sensors, night vision all needed calibration. They dinged me a couple extra hours labor for it.

If this is not true, I will definitely be visiting the dealership GM and demanding a refund. I trusted their advice -- they even showed me some visual matrix that is used by the computer to adjust the surround cameras.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
I too appreciate that you still have a S6 grille. It is important to me too although I like the RS6 grille. I do agree that the black grille looks amazing on black. I agree that you don't need to black out the chrome on the lower sensors because it looks perfect with the Audi rings. I am thinking about blacking mine out though because I still have the full chrome grille. Probably will try it with plastidip and see how it looks and then go from there.
Thanks gatorguy for the comments. Something about being authentic Audi, eh? ;-)

Looking forward to your pictures. Very interested in your mods -- really love your ride. ;-)
Old 09-08-2013, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GermanGarage
If this is not true, I will definitely be visiting the dealership GM and demanding a refund. I trusted their advice -- they even showed me some visual matrix that is used by the computer to adjust the surround cameras.
It is true. They did not scam you.

OEMplus is selling the parking camera retrofit package and they said that everything must be calibrated.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
It is true. They did not scam you.

OEMplus is selling the parking camera retrofit package and they said that everything must be calibrated.
I'll sleep a little better tonight. Thanks man.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hi Deerhunter -- will do. I will try to take a shot on Monday.
Since you are taking more shots I would love a shot straight on the front from a longer distance to get the over all feel. I'm sure you understand since you were the first to take the plunge. It really turned out well for you!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
Since you are taking more shots I would love a shot straight on the front from a longer distance to get the over all feel. I'm sure you understand since you were the first to take the plunge. It really turned out well for you!
Happy to do it. Will take some on Monday and post (assuming good weather...)

I found another Audiworld member changes his grill on a white car to an all-black RS6 (non-OEM) grill. I thought it was relevant to this thread -- given the number of white car owners considering the change.

See attached.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2013, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're adding a feature that wasn't standard on the car, I could see why you would need to re-calibrate.

If you're just swapping a grille (i.e. transfer the camera, sensors, etc. to the new grille), then I'm wondering why you would need a re-calibration as everything on the black optics grille is in the same position as the stock S6 grille? So if you remove the front bumper and put it back on, we'll need to recalibrate every time?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CreoS4
If you're adding a feature that wasn't standard on the car, I could see why you would need to re-calibrate.

If you're just swapping a grille (i.e. transfer the camera, sensors, etc. to the new grille), then I'm wondering why you would need a re-calibration as everything on the black optics grille is in the same position as the stock S6 grille? So if you remove the front bumper and put it back on, we'll need to recalibrate every time?
To install the grill requires that the bumper be removed, as i understand it. It does not surprise me if there would need to be some recalibration of cameras after the bumper is reinstalled. Perhaps even a recalibration of the Adaptive Cruise, too?
Old 09-09-2013, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I found another Audiworld member changes his grill on a white car to an all-black RS6 (non-OEM) grill. I thought it was relevant to this thread -- given the number of white car owners considering the change.

See attached.
That RS6 grill looks awesome!

I ordered my OEM S6 Black Optics grill on Friday, and almost regret it after seeing this.

The one reason why I still prefer the S6 grill is because it is more compatible with the laser jammer I plan to install. You're supposed to have the jammer emitters installed with an unobstructed view. The S6 grill makes this very easy with its large openings. The RS6 grill would not permit an unobstructed opening because the wire mesh is so tightly configured.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

That RS6 grill looks awesome!

I ordered my OEM S6 Black Optics grill on Friday, and almost regret it after seeing this.

The one reason why I still prefer the S6 grill is because it is more compatible with the laser jammer I plan to install. You're supposed to have the jammer emitters installed with an unobstructed view. The S6 grill makes this very easy with its large openings. The RS6 grill would not permit an unobstructed opening because the wire mesh is so tightly configured.
It does look great. Bottom line for me is a strong conclusion: Black grills do look good on a white S6. It is such a better look (IMO).

I still prefer the S6 specific features of the Black Optic grill in order to maintain the originality of the car. The car IS an S6, not an RS6.

Having said that, damn.... looks awesome!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Photos of my new Black Optic S6 grill