A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Trend - A8L: It's Good to be King

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Trend - A8L: It's Good to be King

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...a8_l_4_0_test/
Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But the United States is a bit different. A certain segment of the population isn't happy with anything but the biggest thing on the lot, and you'll find them helming their own limos
Yep

Nice to see a review that isn't written by a sour puss for a change.
Although I did get a great laugh from some of the comments.

Thanks for posting the link.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Snippy statement....

Hey Writer, did you ever hear of a FAMILY???

What? Does that writer hate children? What a moronic statement to make.

The big sedan was the preferred car for the family before the minivan and SUV (which does not have the room anyway, thus the reason why minivans still are the best vehicle for families).

I knew the specs were greater than Audi stated in the literature after driving one....

It's faster than my RS6, some doubted my claim, but now the magazine confirms this!

Mike
Old 01-08-2013, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Aronis
Snippy statement....

Hey Writer, did you ever hear of a FAMILY???

What? Does that writer hate children? What a moronic statement to make.
Did we read the same article? I didn't see any comments from the writer, snippy or not, about families (other than the fairly decent line about really loving your kid to pay the $11K for the executive back seats).
Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

He wrote that those who pilot this car have to have the biggest car in the lot. Read it again.

Mike
Old 01-08-2013, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Aronis
He wrote that those who pilot this car have to have the biggest car in the lot. Read it again.

Mike
Okay, I can now see your take on his comment, but I don't agree with it. The fact is that an A8L is designed as a limousine, with oodles of rear leg room for the chauffeured executive. Kids don't need that much room and, frankly, neither do most adults. Anyone who chooses the 'L' version and doesn't have a chauffeur on the payroll is one who just has to have the biggest model available. I think it was a fair comment.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The L has just the right proportion for the four door design; the SWB rear door looks a bit too narrow. (The BMW 7's rear, on the other hand, appears too wide. MB S is about right.)
Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wrong. Do you have kids?

We outgrew the rear legroom in my RS6 2 years ago, and the SWB A8 is not much bigger. I had been planning on a A8L at this point with a 16 year old, 8 year old and 6 year old boys. Now perhaps if they were girls, the S4 rear space may have been enough room. That's why I passed on an S6.

If it was just my car to drive myself to work only then I would have gotten an RS5. Fun little car.

The Q7 does not offer any more rear space than an A6.

So the LWB A8L limo is the right size.

Remember the 1972 Oldsmobile 98? There were four boys in my family and all six of us could right long distances in that car. Look up its specs. The A8L could fit in its trunk. I'm old enough to remember BIG sedans.

The wealthy people with the drivers/security people usually fit fine in the rear of a smaller car, it's the three teenagers who will fight and whine in the cramped back seat of a smaller car.

Mike
Old 01-09-2013, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Okay, I can now see your take on his comment, but I don't agree with it. The fact is that an A8L is designed as a limousine, with oodles of rear leg room for the chauffeured executive. Kids don't need that much room and, frankly, neither do most adults. Anyone who chooses the 'L' version and doesn't have a chauffeur on the payroll is one who just has to have the biggest model available. I think it was a fair comment.
Guess I'll have to immediately go hire a security driver for myself and my wife ;^)
Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Anyone who chooses the 'L' version and doesn't have a chauffeur on the payroll is one who just has to have the biggest model available. I think it was a fair comment.

I think this statement is totally wrong. I want the L too but not to have the biggest out there. I like to not sit on top of the steering wheel when I drive. If I have the seat where I like it there is almost no room for anyone behind me. My reasoning for the L is so that anyone who sits behind me will still have room without my need to sit on top of the wheel and everyone is comfortable.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend - A8L: It's Good to be King