A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bang & Olufsen vs stock Bose.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 06:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gorham89
Subterfuge,

Thanks for the writeup, very helpful. I think if I do anything I would go with option 2. I'm not so much concerned with getting more base out of the system (although I wouldn't object), I'm just really disappointed in the clarity of the music, even at low volumes. Doubt a sub in the trunk would help with that?

I don't mind spending a couple grand on this, I'm just worried about letting some guy that I don't know at a car audio shop tear up my brand new ride! I don't have any "in's" so to speak in the aftermaket audio world, and it seems like from your other thread that there are a lot of things that could go wrong (noise cancelling, parking assist, etc). Do you think this kind of job (replacing amp, converter, wires, speakers) is within the skill level of your average car audio guy?
Tried to go to the websites of the manufactures, and check their dealers. Focal makes great speakers and amps for cars. I have Focal Utopia Speakers for my house and I love it. That's the reason why I went for the B&O sound system.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow I'm loving the B&O sound system. You can appreciated the quality and how detailed the music sounds.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I own a Mercedes sl55 that has Hertz speaker, JL amps, JL subs etc and the latest Kenwood receiver. I spent over 6k on this system.

I also have a Mercedes GL with all Focal, and JL equipment in it.

I just bought a 2011 A8L. It does have the B&O in it. Now when I seen the cost (6300) I said I would never pay for that. However, of course I will take it in a CPO car. My point is that this is the clearest most clearly separated system I have ever heard. With the exception of Bass, this system definitely sounds better than my other two vehicles.

I have worked at a high end shop in Center City Philadelphia, and have been involved with many installations. I also had my current two systems installed by a well know South Jersey installer. Just stating this as I am no newbie to high end equipment in vehicles.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:28 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am sure the B&O sound system sound better but don't fool yourself as to the quality of the source materials you have available (unless the newer A8's or B&O option have a different base system vs my 2010 model).
It does not do better than CD and DVD std format which is a limitation in itself no matter the quality of the rest of the system.
It does not play SACD or DVD-Audio, the best you will do is probably a 16/48 PCM track on some rare DVD's, the second best might be a DTS 16/48 track.
At home comparing a HD audio concert on sacd or bluray to a dvd or cd is in my opinion a big difference in dynamics, clarity, soundstage and overall engagement factor and that will not play in the car.

Last edited by A 8; 06-21-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

It does not play SACD or DVD-Audio, the best you will do is probably a 16/48 PCM track on some rare DVD's, the second best might be a DTS 16/48 track.
At home comparing a HD audio concert on sacd or bluray to a dvd or cd is in my opinion a big difference...
Uh...what...but I'm driving a car that came from the factory with a tape deck and 6 disc changer in the trunk. LOL

I guess I'll just have to settle for the sound of the 4.2 : )

BTW: I love reading the conversations on the three A8/S8 forums. Great stuff on these forums!
Old 06-23-2014, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default B&O Question from Newbie

I'm new here. Hello everyone. Will put a 2015 S8 on order in the next week or two, replacing my 2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. I too have the audiophile disease, like many on this board (Eggleston speakers, Krell Electronics, etc). I have the Burmester system in my Porsche, which is easily the best sound system I've heard in a car.

I will order the B&O regardless, but can anyone tell me if the current B&O system will play 5.1 Surround Sound DVD Audio? I've built up a nice collection of this source music format - and these discs in the Burmester system seems feels every bit as involving as my home system; which had made the $6500 upgrade cost of the Burmester system a bargain for me. So, will the B&O system support this format?

Maybe, since I'm going to include the B&O system anyhow - if t does not support DVD Audio please just lie to me and tell me it does so I will be happier in the 90 days of anticipation awaiting the car.

Thanks much,
Ken
Old 06-24-2014, 01:57 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think its even worse than what I described earlier, I've played a bit more with mine and it seems to convert everything to dolby prologic. That means its a 2 channel source system with dolby prologic processing, and many amps and speakers so even if you have a nice DTS 5 channel track it will down convert to 2 channels and then apply dolby prologic.
If you are a audio freak than you know thats not the way to keep fidelity.

If the B&O system plays dvd audio or sacd you should have their logos wherever you put the disc or you should find it in the manual, there is a listing of formats on page 27-28 in the MMI Nav manual (german version).
Old 04-13-2015, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by steinway
Good move! The B&O with the right HD source is phenomenal. Now get the dual pane glass and alcantara headliner to complete your listening pleasure. Also, start loading up HD sources on your SD card or CDs as you would like to use the Digital to Analog Converter (DAC)of the car and not the iPod or iPhone. You can go to HDtracks.com for these files though, which you can use at home as well.
I'm hopefully getting my S8 with B&O speakers towards the end of this week. I've been to HDtracks.com and noticed that they offer downloads in numerous formats like AIFF, ALAC etc. Could you perhaps tell me which format you found to work with the Audi MMI system?
Also, which of the available Sample Rates do you use?
Thanks
Old 04-13-2015, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BFN949
I'm hopefully getting my S8 with B&O speakers towards the end of this week. I've been to HDtracks.com and noticed that they offer downloads in numerous formats like AIFF, ALAC etc. Could you perhaps tell me which format you found to work with the Audi MMI system?
Also, which of the available Sample Rates do you use?
Thanks
I would not bother purchasing music from HDTracks.com if you plan to use the MMI jukebox or SD cards as your source.

The MMI source units in my 2013 A8, 2013 S6, and wife's 2015 SQ5 are very limited in compatible audio formats.

The Jukebox will only play MP3 or AAC files.
AIFF, WAV, Apple Lossless and FLAC are not supported at all.

SD cards same as above.

In addition, the MMI does not support Gapless Playback. These are all huge limitations which are extremely disappointing.

If you use an iPod or iPhone with the AMI cable, you can play Apple Lossless up to 24 bit 48kHz. That would be the format of choice if you want to purchase high-res lossless audio from HDTracks.com

If you insist on using the MMI jukebox or SD cards, then you will do best to purchase the high quality versions and then convert them to 320k MP3 CBR in stereo. Make sure not to do VBR, or Joint Stereo. Never purchase from iTunes.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 04-13-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks you so much - you have saved me many hours of trial and error.

Quick Reply: Bang & Olufsen vs stock Bose.